A question about how much to reveal (perils of posting on the internet)

How much of your own writing is safe to post on the internet?

• Nothing! People will probably ruthlessly steal every idea you post!

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It's okay to post some ideas-- but no excerpts.

• It's safe to post excerpts and ideas, but only on moderated forums with people you trust.

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Post whatever you want, the idea that someone would steal your work is arrogant.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Other. (Post below)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrittaMoline

I'm not Paul Avery.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notpaulavery.blogspot.com
Hello all. I know that posting any sections of your work on the internet can be dangerous, but how much is safe to reveal?

For example, I'm writing a biography and I'm quite certain no one else is working on the same subject. Is it okay to publicly detail elements of my research, or the process I am taking? Or is it best to remain as obtuse as possible? How do I gather information, and share stories, about the biographical process without revealing too much? How much do you trust the internet?

Thank you so much for your advice!
-- Britta

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
When I read the thread title, I thought that the subject would be related to personal information/security. As far as Ideas, there is little to fear. And you don't really know that no one else is working on the same subject, do you? There could be ten very secretive individuals with parallel projects. :Shrug:

I wouldn't blab about valuable sources, but certainly it is not a bad idea to discuss the process.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I tend to talk about my writing process in the abstract. And it's interesting how detailed you can get without naming names, sources or ideas, lol. I know many people say not to worry about ideas being stolen (heck, I'm one of them who says that), but I also don't much feel like going out of my way to make it easier for anyone either. In the end of course, there are no new ideas, it's the execution that matters most. You can give a group of authors the exact same idea and get different stories from each of them. Still . . . if you want to write about the process, why not try without the details first and see how that works for you. If you are finding it too obtuse, then take it to the next level.

Good luck!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I post short excerpts once in a while. Look, if it's so good that people want to steal them, then I really have something great and I'll have nothing to worry about. ;) I don't usually share ideas -- not publicly for general consumption. I would talk about it vaguely, but definitely no details. And I keep my high-concept ideas to myself. Simply put: ideas can't be copyrighted, so I'm a bit more protective that way.

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't like posting ideas publicly either.

As for excerpts, I don't think it's a big deal to post a small excerpt or two. In fact, it's probably a good idea to get a little feedback on it.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I would rather you steal my work than my ideas. I can prove the work is mine. Ideas are different. My wife is sitting on an idea whose time has come, and I searched for something similar, there's nothing.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I answered the poll for fiction, but you are talking about nonfiction, which is a slightly different story. If you'd turned up an important letter or document that is key to your biography, I would treat that with a little more caution than I would fiction -- not so much out of fear of theft but because in nonfiction you have to treat your original sources carefully, cite them, put in context, etc.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I am very careful with my nonfiction project. I don't mind giving a general synopsis of the idea, but I want to protect the privacy of the people I interview until publication. Besides, if anyone else wrote something similar, that would make it much more difficult to sell my project.

As for fiction, I agree with a PP who said that he's rather someone stole his work than his idea. I don't mind posting excerpts, but I wouldn't post my idea for a work in progress.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
If your book isn't published yet, keep in mind that some (or all??) publishers don't want excerpts online where EVERYONE can read them. My publisher requested that any previously published material be removed from the Internet before publication.

Yeah, I had to do a lot of site-hopping and paper-digging with that request. :(

As for ideas, I agree not to go too heavy into details. Sure, talk about the writing process, vaguely mention an idea or two, but don't reveal anything someone would snatch from your site/blog/etc.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
I know others post work (and ideas) online but it's not something i'm comfortable with. I'll post questions about a WIP but nothing 'revealing' as it were.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Ideas, I keep to myself.

Excerpts, I use to get feedback. I've got a few things posted here in SYW that I wouldn't have known didn't work without outside eyes. I also generally post the same excerpts to another private (non-writer) board to see if their reaction is the same or different.

As long as the excerpts don't give everything away, you're good. (Of course revealing ideas is necessary if you post a query letter)

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I also answered your poll as pertaining to fiction.

I post excerpts in SYW. (And I've found it very helpful.) But I wouldn't post excerpts publically. And I don't post ideas at all.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I don't post my ideas, not because I'm afraid someone will steal them, but because ideas are worth a dime a dozen, although in this economy...

I post on SYW without fear, but it took me some time to get to that point. I don't leave stuff up once it falls off the first few pages though. I don't want people to go back and dig up my crappy drafts. :)

Nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.