Krampus and St. Nick in cameo

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beta or Share Your Work - Options

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Lintlicker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Kowalski View Post
    It's vista. For future reference, it's in the description of the SYW forum.
    Thank you :0
    "Mars Two"
    Wordcount: 14,717/?

"The Yorkshire Connection"
    Wordcount: 3,947/?

practical experience, FTW Nimyth's Avatar
    SYW is a very good and useful tool. I have found it to be very helpful. Sometimes though as in my case I have some issues in my WIP that needs someone who is willing to read a couple of chapters, as the problem is not going to be something that can be shown/worked out with just the 1000 word limit for the SYW forum.
    "Creativity is intelligence having fun."
    - Albert Einstein

practical experience, FTW Nimyth's Avatar

First Chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by James81 View Post
    I think that even with a finished, polished work, that someone seeking a beta reader should perhaps post the first chapter *somewhere* when they are seeking a beta reader.
    Perhaps I am confused or misread the suggestions. In the SYW it is suggested I thought, that you limit the post to 1000 words. My chapters are fairly short, and several of them including my first exceed the 1000 word limit for SYW
    "Creativity is intelligence having fun."
    - Albert Einstein

Pirate, Beer Aficionado, Writer napow27's Avatar

Looking for Beta Readings and Folks that need Beta Readers

Hi,

I am looking for beta readers for my book, The Gentleman, currently being edited. I also want to extend my service as a beta reader to anyone interested ping me @na_pow on twitter.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
    I'd like to second the recommendation for posting work at the appropriate Share Your work board. While beginners can learn a great deal from the Advice for Newbies post, they'll learn more from feedback--and so do many of us who are not at all new to writing.

Besides valuable input about a particular chapter or story, I've found SYW a great place to identify potential beta readers. By cruising my genres' boards (not just my own posts' replies), I can determine who's in sync with me, who just doesn't seem to get it, whose advice is vague, who's got great suggestions for improvement, who's good on overview, who's the nitpicker to die for, and so on.

Depending on what I think my work most needs, that's the pool from which I hope I can draw betas. I PM a few. Even when someone has to refuse due to time constraints or other commitments, most are pleased to have been asked, especially when I tell them which of their critiques led to my request. Who doesn't like to hear his or her efforts praised?

In my own experience, this works a whole lot better than a writer who's never posted work (or posted much on any of the writing boards) seeking beta readers at that board. Few people are able to commit to beta-ing a whole novel without having seen enough of a person's writing to determine whether they're a good fit, you know?

Maryn, able to get betas
    As a newbie poster, thank you.

This was a helpful thread to a new AW user! I've been active every day now for a few weeks! I am learning a lot, and I can't wait to hit 50 posts and share the first chapter of my work (in SYW, of course).

"We're all just pawns in the great game..."

"No. Some of us are kings."

practical experience, FTW travelgal's Avatar
    Given that my chapters are between 3000 and 7000 words long, I can't post on SYW, so I need a beta-reader. My novel is told from nine viewpoints total, mainly from the MC's in third person, interspersed with first person excerpts (none from the MC) between each third-person chapter.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin abbyapplejack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by travelgal View Post
    Given that my chapters are between 3000 and 7000 words long, I can't post on SYW
    Ugh same. My shortest are just over 3000 and my longest just under 6000! I'd have to post an excerpt of my first chapter.

Magical Fish With Paltry Powers
    Skimming this thread has been an interesting experience. I shall have to go over it more carefully. I'm new to fiction writing but hope to abandon before long the drab clanking of content-mill production for the silence of unicorns drifting into the mist and the roar of rockets arriving on Mars.

As you can see from the rocket reference, I grew up with Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein and dozens of other greats from the Golden Age of brash science fiction and fantasy. Oddly enough, Peter S. Beagle came much later.

My first short stories and my first novel have been slowly emerging from the clay of imagination. We shall see how that turns out.
    Last edited by Turbulent Flow; 04-25-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123