March goals and JHS

scriptor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Received a rejection today on a short story. I think there should be laws that say you can't get rejections on weekends :D

I agree ravenlea, hey maybe just don't check your mail, lol.... maybe I'll start doing that, ROFLMAO..... oh well, .. Friday's comin'.

scriptor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Well it sounds like all of you are really on fire and doing a lot of good stuff, meeting those goals. God Speed to all of ya!

My goals this month are simple:

1. Finish the last three chapters of my novel
2. Edit/slim it/ fix it. ( the novel that is)
3. Write 15 killer query letters
4. Get an agent that will represent me and not take money from me.

Breddings

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beer.about.com
OK, my turn. I've almost participated in this thread in previous months but just never did. As previously pointed out by another the economy can be an incredible motivator. I need to get serious about building my career and this seems like a great way to do it.

First, the goals related to projects for which I've already been paid or I have a contract. In other words, my priorities:
-About.com 4 articles, 5 blog entries, general site maintenance
-4 marketing articles and 3 blog entries per week for SEO clients

Now my career expanding goals:
-2 querries per week to print magazines
-Solidify my beer book idea, write the world's greatest letter, start searching for an agent
-Explore other places where I can write for real money - Examiner? AssociatedContent?

Wow, after writing it out like that is almost seems insignificant! Anyway, there are my goals. Hold me to them!

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Welcome Jennifer, welcome Bryce. We're glad you've decided to join us. And since I've managed to score my own Girl Scout cookies over the weekend, I'm not even charging the cookie toll to get in!

This is a wonderful place to find encouragement in reaching your goals--no matter what size goals they are. Glad you decided to join in! You're gonna do just fine.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
jennifer: Way to jump in! Go for it.

Where you are sounds like about where I was a year ago. As I told Still Seaking, I have a document accumulating the info I have on U.S. parenting magazines. If you want it, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

When I started, I mass queried parenting magazines, just changing the local details in the query. Like if I mentioned a place in the query, I changed the place to sort of localize it. Other than that, I send the same query to like 25 different markets. That really helped my odds of breaking in. I think when you're new, timing is important, and you just improve your chances of sending the editor exactly what she's looking for by mass querying.

Welcome to the Monkey House, and please ask me anything. I learned a lot last year.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
scriptor and Breddings: I like the way you added a quality adjective to your goals. I'm going to steal that idea next month.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
monring all. been another slow morning, but I'm getting used to those. Weather is beautiful ( or was til the rain hit!) so I spent the better part of the day with the horses. Had three new calves to bring home too, so had to do some fancy rearranging in the barnyard to fit all the babies in.

I need to put up some examiner pieces but for the life of me I can't come up with an idea. i've got six dogs and just got rid of four puppies, why I can't think of anything is beyond me!

Just found out my sister is definately going to be in Colorado end of June for a conferance to talk about her missionary work in Africa, so I'm taking a road trip to see her. Which means adding a new goal to get back into shape before June. Or at least look like i do more than sit at the computer all day :) It will be the first time in nearly 5 years that i've seen her, so i'm really looking forward to it, plus meeting up with some cousins who live there as well as an old grade school friend. Since I'll probably be taking the bunchkin I'm looking to query a couple parenting magazines about road trips with young kids. (Auto, I may need that list too! :D)

i need to do a rewrite for DS plus another article as well as send out a couple queries. Gosh i need some motivation.

jennifernobile

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kidsandakeyboard.blogspot.com
jennifer: Way to jump in! Go for it.

Where you are sounds like about where I was a year ago. As I told Still Seaking, I have a document accumulating the info I have on U.S. parenting magazines. If you want it, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Hi, you actually already sent it to me! :)

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Three days and three pages already in this thread. I'm so far behind. I just posted my february goals round-up. Still back-sliding.

So for this month:

1. Get more sleep.
2. Post once a week at HZ, FW, and Sky's blog.
3 Write one article weekly for Examiner.com.
4. Get more sleep.
I'm keeping it short and sweet. No sleep is good for no writing or motivation. Hoping to get going and bribing the Muse. Later.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Yowza!! Has anyone called 911 yet? You guys are on FIRE! :D

I think it's wonderful everyone is jumping in and posting goals and going great guns so early in the month. Welcome to all the "newbies" and returning long-timers.

Julie, if you find O's guidelines, let me know? I've been looking for them too.

I have two blog posts up today:
Creatif: Writing with the Muses
Refilling the Well: Taking Critique

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I like trying to check in daily each night, Still Seaking, because it helps me ensure I'm doing something. If I post and don't describe what I did that day, then I just goofed off and got no work done. That's bad for a full-time freelance writer (I like trying to say that, but it still doesn't sound right when I earned a whopping $300 last month).

Good to see you again, JenniferNobile. Any goals you have are great--as long as you reach them! Since you're already planning 3 querys, I challenge you to round off to 4 and send one each week this month.

Scriptor, good to hear on the novel. 15 queries? That's a pile. I need to send my roll of quarters to Auto so she will send me a pile of ideas to query.

Breddings glad to have you around! Hope you don't mind if I bug you about your goals. 2 queries a week is about what I'm shooting for, too. As for your book, from what I've heard and read, until you've gotten it quite nearly completed, you're not going to get much action from agents...and if you haven't already, check the threads out here for Demand Studios, Associated Content, and Examiner--they're quite extensive.

Amy, you have cookies? I'm nearly out. It's amazing how short a time a case of cookies can last.

Hey Ravenlea, how about an article about getting rid of puppies? And you must tell me where your sister went, because I just got back from Kenya last November. And is CASH a nice motivation, Ravenlea? If not, how about the lack of revenue during your trip to Colorado?

skyraven, "Get More Sleep?" I hope that's due to writing so much and so long that you don't have sleep time. ;) Nah, you're right, without sleep, there's not much writing going on. You can always take a nap, right?

So what did I do today? I e-mailed a few editors that were amazingly responsive. I got responses to nearly all my queries I sent out Monday. Weird. I even got a real weird response: "The editors thank you for your query and will consider your idea and hold it in their story file. If they like it, they will contact you." What's up with that? In a year, they might give me a call? Sheesh.

As for my weekly goals (I don't know how you people do monthly goals. I'd never get anything done.), I have almost everything done except the easy ones (Demand Studios). I wrote 2 Associated Content things and found 2 freelance jobs to apply to (I'll apply first thing tomorrow, finding them is the hard part). I also sent (and received a response to) another query, so that's five on the week when my goal was three. :) Of course, I've already received four rejections, but hey, at least I sent them. I dropped my story I wrote while the power was off in the mail today, too.

so, since I'm actually ahead of my goals at the moment, I'm going to be headed out of town tomorrow night to visit relatives. I won't be around for Wednesday night to Thursday, so you people keep on going without me, will you? :)

Still Seaking

Doing what I was born to do.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I was off to a great start this morning. Up early, in the shower, bed made. Then I came down and my computer was running real slow so I did what I had to get done & called my tech guy and we spent a few hours trying to speed the dying thing up – to no avail. Then I had to call and find out why most of my mother’s meds are suddenly not covered & she still hasn’t gotten insulin & it wasn’t even mentioned in the letter she got of meds suddenly not being filled. So, the short of thing, the day I was planning on getting so much writing done in, that was going to be so productive, sucked & I didn’t get anything done. At least I did get my first nightly update in, even if it was to report a failure of a day.

Auto – thank you for the email, with the computer going so freaking slow I haven’t gotten to it yet but seeing it there sure lifted my spirits. If the memory is going to get worse in 15 years, I’m screwed. I won’t remember what species I am, much less my gender or name so I guess I’d best get those books written & published so others can remember who the heck I am!

Raven – better rain than the four letter white stuff

Sky – love the fist & 4th goals! But if I do that, I won’t get any writing done for sure!

Jen – I don’t know who started these threads originally but you were my first motivator (with many ties for 2nd) so it was you who began fanning the embers. Please everyone keep fanning, I need those embers to burst into flames!

Jeffo – I know the feeling, that’s why I decided to put down what happened today even though it was a complete fiasco. You got a lot done today, especially compared to me.

Sorry for venting abut my day, hope I didn’t bring anyone down. Tomorrow I have to get my tags transferred to my new van & I have one job I’ve got to get done, other than that, I’m writing & hopefully the kid will do what she needs to get done on her own & I can write before I leave & all I have to do won’t take long then I’ll be back home writing.

Best of luck to everyone & keep writing!

SS

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Well...lets see...I started on one of my galleries - Drought tolerant shrubs. It is usually easier if I go in steps since I have to search out pics for them.

I think I will do some Glossary entries tonight. Wonder how many good ones I can get in.

Wrote one article for Examiner. Applied for a 2nd topic.

jennifernobile

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kidsandakeyboard.blogspot.com
Good Morning, all! Can't believe its Wednesday already - that snowstorm we had on Monday threw me off this week...

I sent a query to a national yesterday, so that's 3 querys sent out this week! I'm not sure how much more time I can spend on writing this week - I've got to get my eBay auctions set up for this weekend. (I have an eBay business that's winding down, I'm hoping to switch over to full-time freelance writing once the business closes all together).

jeffo, I accept your challenge of 4 querys! To me that equates to 4 different article ideas, not one idea sent to 4 different pubs. I need to get cracking with some ideas, eh?

I'm off to the doctor's today to see why I've been sick on and off for the past month. Its getting rather annoying, lol.

Have a great day, all!

Breddings

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beer.about.com
As for your book, from what I've heard and read, until you've gotten it quite nearly completed, you're not going to get much action from agents...
I should have specified that my idea is for a non-fiction book. I believe that in that case one needs a solid plan, table of contents, and perhaps a chapter or two written but not the whole thing unless things have changed since I last read up on this. Learning what I need is step one in solidifying my idea!

I applied to Examiner yesterday and pounded out four articles for Associated Content. Made a whopping $4 there - $3 for one, 1$ for another and the other two were rejected. However I can see that with a bit of practice and grinding out a lot of little how-to articles one could have moderate success with AC.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
No goals or JHSs to report due to ongoing family medical issues, BUT

I did see my first red-winged blackbird yesterday and out here in these parts that means SPRING is coming!

Had to share,

Mysti

Aurora, CO is my new home!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
I'm swinging by to say hello to everyone out there!!!! Keep at it, get it going and WRITE! =) Fabulous goals everyone and I sure hope that March is Money-Madness for you all!

scriptor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Okay, I was off to a great start this morning. ........................................................................
Sorry for venting abut my day, hope I didn’t bring anyone down. Tomorrow I have to get my tags transferred to my new van & I have one job I’ve got to get done, other than that, I’m writing & hopefully the kid will do what she needs to get done on her own & I can write before I leave & all I have to do won’t take long then I’ll be back home writing.

Best of luck to everyone & keep writing!

SS

Hey Still Seaking, no worries, vent whenever you have to.. I do and have and everyone was really totally great about it. We all have bad days.. hey gives us fuel for more stories right...lol.. Seriously I hope that everything works out especially with your Mother's meds.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh good grief, I am late. It's only the 4th and already you all are on page 3, you'll be to page 4 or 5 before the day is out. I'll read everyone's posts later and comment, I promise. Right now I only have a few minutes allotted to be here. So, I think I'm going to try the weekly goal thing. This week (and I only have 4 days left, but it's doable) I plan to:

Read all the posts in this thread and comment on all of your successes and encouragement needs.

Read and comment on the blog posts before mine in the blogging thread. 1 done

Post three times in my scholarship blog - 1 done.

Post in my general blog.

Read and comment in at least 3 AWers blogs

Actually write email for editor of DO, a magazine I want in!

Actually write and send email to publisher of book series. I'm actually working on a book for that series, might be a good idea to find out if he's interested.

Change up article that's been accepted to bring it more up-to-date (it was written with a Jan/Feb. publication date in mind, it'll be published in April).

Send my book proposal to my mentor (I know, I could just send it to a publisher, but I'm scared. Heck, I haven't even sent it to the mentor yet.)

Write 1000 words day (from this day forward) on either my fiction or non-fiction. Ideally, I'd write that many words on both, but while I'm trying to push myself to actually follow through, I don't want to overwhelm myself to the point I stop. 'Cause that's sort of where I am now - stopped.

Ok, time's up - past up actually. Them there's my goals for this week. Be back later.

Comment on

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Ravenlea, how about an article about getting rid of puppies? And you must tell me where your sister went, because I just got back from Kenya last November. And is CASH a nice motivation, Ravenlea? If not, how about the lack of revenue during your trip to Colorado?

My sister is in Malawi. She's working in a mobile clinic and loves it.

I'm swinging by to say hello to everyone out there!!!! Keep at it, get it going and WRITE! =) Fabulous goals everyone and I sure hope that March is Money-Madness for you all!

Hi Mysti! :hi: Glad to see you still sneak in now and then :D

I am working on my peice for Examiner right now as well as finishing three articles for DS. After lunch it's query time :D