Musician could've been a novelist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
True. I have one song that tells an entire story of a "relationship," start to finish in twelve lines. (Three verses of four lines each.)

It has a beginning, middle and end. But I don't see how my ability to pull that off (if i did) has much to do with the craft of novel writing. Poetry, maybe.

Here it is for anyone who wants to give it a listen.

Because the passion, drive and ability to convey clearly and crisply, and with striking originality, I think are key ingredients in both cakes.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's the time difference, in several respects, for both the writer and the reader. You can write a song in ten minutes, and there are a few diehards on FAWM this month doing "feasts," writing over a dozen songs a day. And song only takes a few minute to perform and listen to, and that's another difference - a song plays out over a specific amount of time, whereas a novel can be read at (almost) any pace.

But what really strikes me is you can write a song in ten minutes, and I've heard of many hit songs written that quickly, but the fastest I've ever heard of a novel being writen is three days - I only heard of this recently, and just found the link:
http://www.3daynovel.com/

The comparison is like running 100 meters vs. running a marathon. It's a whole different level of, well, commitment.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
There's the time difference, in several respects, for both the writer and the reader. You can write a song in ten minutes, and there are a few diehards on FAWM this month doing "feasts," writing over a dozen songs a day. And song only takes a few minute to perform and listen to, and that's another difference - a song plays out over a specific amount of time, whereas a novel can be read at (almost) any pace.

But what really strikes me is you can write a song in ten minutes, and I've heard of many hit songs written that quickly, but the fastest I've ever heard of a novel being writen is three days - I only heard of this recently, and just found the link:
http://www.3daynovel.com/

The comparison is like running 100 meters vs. running a marathon. It's a whole different level of, well, commitment.

Good points, however I should qualify why I originally wrote this post. Not because I felt song writers necessarily had the technical knowhow of plot and literary devices necessary to write a novel. Just that they have the...whatever I said in the last post I made in this thread...to write scenes, images and characters that could easily appear in fiction. Stuff you (as in, "I") wish you (I) would've written in a story.

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
Franz Ferdinand.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm going to try to get tickets to the Hamilton concert...but it probably won't happen.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Songwriting also requires POV.

You know what I mean :) -- skills that are specific to novel writing. If not specific, at least on a grander scale. Character development, plot movement, dialogue (although one can argue lyrics are dialogue -- at least monologue), cliffhangers, show vs. tell, etc.

It has a beginning, middle and end. But I don't see how my ability to pull that off (if i did) has much to do with the craft of novel writing. Poetry, maybe.

All arts are related, though. It's not to say a songwriter is automatically a good novelist, but there are common skills one can draw from. If you can tell a complete story in three verses, chances are you're already ahead of the curve -- you just have to do a more complex story in 100,000 words instead of 120.

Status
Not open for further replies.