• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Joseph Wallace Literary Agency

king1042

Registered
Reaction score
schiell & denver publishing

Just been given a contract from the above but smell a rat - are they a POD in disguise? Anyone come across them before?
King1042

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well...going from their catalog (1MG .pdf), their "marketing" efforts are primarily spam to AP outlets.

I presume you submitted to them before they went "agent only"? Personally, I'd wait another year to see what they can do for their current books.

king1042

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cao,
No, I went through an agent - which begs the question of how dodgy is he to send me in this direction? Oh well, looks like back to looking for a real agent...
King1042

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If Schiel indeed offered a "non-nominal" advance, then your agent might not be all wet. Can you/would you tell us the amount offered? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss it publicly (name of the agent would be welcome, too).

king1042

Registered
Reaction score
The amount offered was £15.00 ($21.00)!! So thoughts of retiring to a remote cottage in Provence for 6 months to put finishing touches to the book soon evaporated... The agency is Joseph Wallace Literary agency in London - I'd be interested to hear from anyone else on his books. He seems like a regular guy, but who knows?
If worst comes to worst, is POD a viable option or vanity publishing in disguise?
As an original Sixties Mod, I'd appreciate the opinion of a Mod Squad member like yourself!
KIng1042

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
If worst comes to worst, is POD a viable option or vanity publishing in disguise?

Depends. The ones who are really shady, as in aren't clear as to what they do, avoid at all costs. Self-publishing could work, but I side with the opinion that self-publishing should only be considered if: a.)you're publishing poetry, b.)you have a niche or very small market for your subject, or c.)you've exhausted all commercial avenues.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
The agency is Joseph Wallace Literary agency in London - I'd be interested to hear from anyone else on his books. He seems like a regular guy, but who knows?

There's almost no info about this agency online, other than a few online listings such as this one. It reveals that the agency has been in business since 2004, yet I can't find a single sale for it.

Has it charged you any fees? At any rate, the apparent lack of sales plus the submission to Schiel & Denver (which is so obviously not a commercial publisher that I have a tough time imagining that an established agent would consider it) suggests to me that this is an amateur agency.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The amount offered was £15.00 ($21.00)!! So thoughts of retiring to a remote cottage in Provence for 6 months to put finishing touches to the book soon evaporated... The agency is Joseph Wallace Literary agency in London - I'd be interested to hear from anyone else on his books. He seems like a regular guy, but who knows?
As an original Sixties Mod, I'd appreciate the opinion of a Mod Squad member like yourself!
KIng1042
Gah. If £15.00 was my agent's idea of a deal.... I suggest starting a new thread to ask if anyone can offer any reason to remain with him. Like a sales record.

Meanwhile, spend a few days reading through AW. :)

ETA: Victoria beat me to it, ha!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I can't find out much about this agency. Companies House doesn't have any listing for it. But I did find this, which gives an address, and coincidentally, I used to live on the same road: it's Willesden High Road, in north-west London, and I lived a little higher up, nearer the bus station. It was a pretty run-down area and not exactly notorious for its literary agencies. It isn't the sort of place to have an office if you want to impress anyone.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Not sure if this is a UK thing, but only one agent out of the many I've dealt with ever had a yahoo email address. In her case, it was ok because she's old-school and has no online presence. However, she's been in the business since the beginning of time and has easily-tracked huge sales under her belt. A yahoo email account + no tracked sales = question marks.

Agents' sales are their business cards, and I've never known them to be shy about blasting their successes across the internet.

Jimmymac

Registered
Reaction score
Website
psychicscot.weebly.com
Literary agency

KIng1042

Hi KIng1042. Just recently came across this forum and your posting. I signed with the same agency in January this year who said he had submitted my book to several publishers. (He had had a copy of my work for 11 months prior to this.) Haven't heard anymore but I do realise that everything takes time. Will gladly let you know if I should hear anything.
Jimmymac.

ianh

Writer of Paranormal fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ianhall.freehostingcloud.com
I signed with this agent in January 2009 also and at present I have been offered a contract with this agency and in discussion with two publishers but just being patient and waiting for the best deal the Joseph Wallace Agency can get in these times of recession. So will keep you posted on progress. I know it takes time and being a new author it is a chance the agency are taking and hard work on their behalf to get a publishing house interested in you. I am waiting and working on a new book ready for another submission to this agent if they are successful with my first novel. I will let you all know how I get on.

melly-moo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I hope someone can advise me on this problem with Joseph Wallace Literary Agency?
who has disapeared with the whole manuscript I sent him as he requested on CD in Jan 2009. My book has answers and solutions to weight issues, there is nothing like this book on the market shelves today.

ianh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Reading this thread, I am getting a strange sense this agent may not be what he says. As every new writer on here has submitted to this agent in Jan 09 and I know things take time but why take on so many authors at one time?

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I share your concern about this agent.
What is Mr Wallace's background that qualifies him to be an agent?

Gazzie

Registered
Reaction score
Wallace

I too am concerned about Joseph Wallace. It was my girlfriend who approached him with her book and he showed some real interest, although at only 30,000 words he thought it too short. At his request, she re-wrote it and sent the complete manuscript of over 60,000 words on a CD-Rom. She received a letter back in December 2008, stating that she would have a decision within 4 weeks, but has heard nothing. We have emailed him, but had no reply and his phone number no longer works. Anyone got a current number?

This all started back in April 2008, so don't hold your breath.

Is it me, or is there a pattern forming?

Donald

Registered
Reaction score
I sent JW three chapters and had a reply within three months asking for a full submission which I sent on CD and a full print manuscript.

I have not been able to get a reply from JW in over 1.5 years.

I would appreciate anybody who has actually had a succesfull publication with this agent

Cheers Guys

Donald

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Donald, Joseph Wallace does not have any sales that anyone can discover. He has attempted to steer clients to a fee-based "publisher" (Schiel & Denver). I think that's all the info you need...

- Victoria

Donald

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that Victoria

Appreciate the imput

There will be a glass of chilled something for you next time you cross the pond

Cheers

Donald

ianh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Why put the agents email address on?
I've clicked on the writersservices link (2008) but it is dead. Also noticed that the latest list available (2010) from writersservices does not have Joesph Wallace on the page now.
Is he still an active agent?

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think he was ever an active agent in the sense that active agents make money by selling books to advance-paying publishers

ianh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Stay well clear of this agent I don't think he is even in circulation now.
I have sent a letter to basically say I feel I would be better represented elsewhere and have heard nothing in two months, regards a reply by either snail or Email.