Music and other inspirations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
Does music inspire your writing? I find it really inspires me to write, but I can't listen to it 'while' I write or I find myself concentrating too much on the music.
My shifting moods also help me write certain scenes better that require a particular emotion. I find I write romance better when I'm depressed, go figure.
What inspires you?

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I don't listen to music while I write because I just tune it out (no pun intended). As I said in another thread a few moments ago (I think it too was one of yours?), I sometimes envision my story scenes taking place to certain music, but I don't tend to hear some music and then get inspired out of nowhere to write a completely new scene ("songfic'ing" ). My brain just doesn't work that way.

The only influence my mood has on my writing is when I feel too depressed to write. Aside from that, and aside from drawing on emotions for certain specific scenes, my general mood has no influence on how or what I write. I'm just the uninvolved narrator, telling what the characters are doing. If I'm angry but the characters aren't, then anger won't show up in the story, and I won't write an angry story either.

The things I'm interested in reading about are what inspire me most. Those are what I write about.

deserata

writerly painter
Registered
Reaction score
I've found that I can't depend on music to write. It inspires me, but very fleetingly. Going to the movies, for some reason or another, gets me really inspired -- I leave with scenes going through my head and everything. Usually the type of movie I see doesn't matter.

I have also found that I have to be in the right mood to write a certain kind of scene.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
A piece of music can kick-start a story idea or mood for me, but that's as far as it goes. I can't listen to music while writing. I find it really distracting.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, music plays a major part in my writing. I even have 'angry' and 'sad' playlists on my iPod, ha ha. And if you check out some author blogs, they'll list playlists and stuff for their readers to listen to as they approach each scene. I can't write without music!

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I use music to enhance or shift my moods, the atmosphere etc. which puts me in a better state of mind to write certain scenes, but like you I can't listen to music while I write.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I picture the music as the soundtrack in my head when I write. I can dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.