Flu Breakthrough

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
This could do so much good:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/137953.php

A Japanese media source reported at the end of last week that a team of researchers working under Japan's Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry has developed a new universal flu vaccine that will work against many types of influenza virus, and describes the breakthrough as a potential "silver bullet" against new strains.

If it works in humans, so much death and misery could be over.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Death controls population. This could lead to horrible problems.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, "Hey guys, we've come up with an amazing medicine that could save the lives of thousands!"

"YOU SUCK!"

What is the world coming too? When did we lose the ability to appreciate it when awesome things happen?

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
No doubt I caught some of the regulars on a 'silly day'. You know silly days, like after you've shared four or five bong hits with Michael Phe. . .er, what's that, up in the sky?

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Next thing you know, they'll be outlawing sick days.

Bastards.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, "Hey guys, we've come up with an amazing medicine that could save the lives of thousands!"

"YOU SUCK!"

What is the world coming too? When did we lose the ability to appreciate it when awesome things happen?

It was my day to be the other side of Joe's coin. I wouldn't read very much into it.

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
So what's different about this new research breakthrough? The difference is, unlike the current vaccine technology, this new method targets the proteins inside the virus, not the ones on the outside. The proteins inside the virus don't change as fast as the ones on the outside. Even if the virus mutates, the internal proteins on the new strain are very similar to the ones in the old strain, unlike the coating protein which may change to a completely different shape of "barb".

I am just getting over the flu, everyone in my family had it, and it seems as though everyone in Central Texas was suffering ... I for one, remain hopeful and optimistic about this breakthrough.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little skeptical because targetting antibodies to the core is somewhat like saying, "Ok, Joe is driving a tank. Everyone look for Joe." (ignoring the fact that you can't see Joe, because he's in a tank.)

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, this is what happened onI am Legend.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of those people who could die from the flu (almost have, in fact). I'm 47. Yeah, I'd like to delay the inevitable.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Damn, this is what happened onI am Legend.

Perhaps Haggis will want a ride in the tank, ever think of that? Noooooo. You assume the worst, that I might intend some virtual harm to our rabid wee pooch. Shame on you.

Now that there could be some, well, perhaps lots of truth in that assumption, that matters not one bit. (stated as I sight-in my 105mm cannon at a bowl of tasty Alpo)