Is Cursive on Its Way Out?

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Is cursive being pushed out? Reports say that some schools are being told they no longer have to teach it. As someone who has terrible handwriting and was often scolded because of her handwriting, I say "Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out."
:e2tongue:

Most people don't write handwritten notes or letters anymore. On the other hand, I can see both sides of the issue. It's nice to read something in nice handwriting -- and I wish doctors would learn better penmanship. (I couldn't read the prescription my orthopedist gave the physical therapist last year -- people have died because they got the wrong drug thanks to horrid handwriting.) But for teachers, teaching cursive may simply take too much time. (The article said that because of No Child Left Behind, there might be no time to teach cursive.)

I wonder, though, if writing in cursive might help writers in some way? Some authors find that they write better in longhand. Do they do better with cursive or with printing? For me, printing works better because I haven't written in cursive for so long, but writing in longhand can be a good way to get the story out. My very earliest drafts were in cursive, and when I reread them, I do feel some sympathy for my teachers -- except the really really annoying ones (see below the ranty guy).

Also,according to the article, some experts think learning cursive can help test scores (on SATs, etc.) Bart Baggett, a handwriting expert interviewed in the article, said, "Part of that reason is that people have to grade them and the simple truth is, if you can't read the answer, you can't give a student full credit."

:rant:
See, this was one of my biggest problems with cursive -- and (ahem) my printed handwriting as well. One teacher made me stay after class and write a French word twenty times or so because she thought I'd misspelled it, when she simply mistook my Q for a P. And a teacher who shall remain nameless (but whose initials were Sister Dorothy-Marie). gave me low grades on some of her spelling tests because even though I spelled the words correctly, she couldn't tell. (Never mind that she was in her 70s and rather forgetful. :rolleyes:) And don't get me started on that one teacher who scolded me in front of the entire class because of my handwriting one fine morning. Why oh why? So is it any wonder I started printing instead of using cursive in sixth grade?

Not that I feel strong about this or anything... (*whistles nonchalantly*)

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I always handwrite thank you notes, but I use some weird print/cursive hybrid. I do, however, admire pretty handwriting. My mom has it. I just don't.

My kids are both learning cursive in school. I've never heard of a school not teaching it. That would be a shame to cut it just because they are too busy teaching to the test.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I always handwrite thank you notes, but I use some weird print/cursive hybrid. I do, however, admire pretty handwriting. My mom has it. I just don't.
I'm not sure where mine comes from. My parents both have nice handwriting -- although Dad's isn't so good since the ministroke. I've also known people who had gorgeous yet illegible handwriting.

My kids are both learning cursive in school. I've never heard of a school not teaching it. That would be a shame to cut it just because they are too busy teaching to the test.
Put that way, yes, that would suck. What will they cut out next? "OK, let's leave off a couple of wars and half of the elements." :Wha:

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the same way. I tend to write in a bastardized mix of print with a smattering of cursive, where it facilitates faster writing. I just hate hand writing because I can't keep pace with my thoughts.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
As a teacher, I hate reading cursive. Not only does everyone do it a bit different, but it's harder to identify the letters on the fly. Especially since the VAST majority of the things I read are printed text (books, internet, etc.) It's the same reason why it's harder to read large chunks of text written in all capitals-- our brain identifies the shape of the letters and the quicker we can do that, the faster we can process what we're reading.

I wouldn't miss cursive one bit. But I do think we should continue to teach nice handwriting.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I wish my teachers (or my parents, for that matter) had taught me how to hold a pencil correctly. 30 minutes of note taking, and my hand starts CRAMPING. I can't figure out how to hold a writing utensil comfortably while maintaining legible handwriting.

That said, I use cursive letters only when they coincide with the print letters and enable me to smoothly flow into the next letter.

That is to say, I use two or three of them.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
cursive should be taught. it's not brain surgery and can be taught over the course of one school year.

cursive is faster than printing and, for beginning typists, it's faster than the keyboard.

i think it will have a detrimental effect on budding writers, and even on brain mapping and ability to express well-articulated and complex ideas.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
cursive should be taught. it's not brain surgery and can be taught over the course of one school year.

cursive is faster than printing and, for beginning typists, it's faster than the keyboard.

i think it will have a detrimental effect on budding writers, and even on brain mapping and ability to express well-articulated and complex ideas.

This is certainly a good argument to bring up at your next local school board meeting.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My son can't write in cursive. He has permission to print at school and to type certain assignments.

I choose to believe he hasn't destroyed his brain.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i was not insinuating that a child who doesn't write in cursive is automatically in jeopardy of diminished thought. there are, of course, mitigating factors like natural intellect, discipline and patience.

my point is that a skill that facilitates easier writing can only be a good thing for mental development.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that it is good to teach cursive. As one with horrible handwriting, however, I despise the teachers who made it seem a mortal sin for those who never mastered it. Like many of those above I have my own bastardized version of print and cursive combined. It looks dreadful, but I like writing short stories longhand.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always amazed at how every 'modern' age takes certain things for granted, forgetting that in many cases, there is a reason why things are the way they are.

In this case, the written word.

The written word is perhaps the single most important achievement that has enabled our exponential technological progression over the last three thousand years (give or take a millenia)

Now, just a few centuries (arguably a few decades) when the written word has become compulsory, we find ourselves at this 'modern' advanced stage where we casually dismissed one of the founding principles responsible our rise in the first place.

But Mel, Aren't you being dramatic, we have computers and print and and and...

I say no. That is a red herring bullshit cop out of convenience. Arguing that we do not have to learn cursive because we have computers is similar to arguing that we do not have to learn basic math because we have calculators.

If i may draw from the math analogy. When I teach teenagers and college kids math, the first thing I do is set fire to their calculators and FORCE them to get back to basics and not relying on it as a crutch. I see an almost three-fold increase in comprehension.

As for the written word, cursive is a building block enabling our brains to better assimulate different kinds of words. The human brain is THE MOST POWERFUL spatial recognition system on the planet. Computers don't even approach a fraction of what the human brain can do in terms of discrimating spatial patterns and interpreting findings, analysis, and ultimately understanding what the hell is going on.

By gettting rid of cursive, you impact that learning and ability on scales I don't think we (who know cursive) can understand.

This decision is so wrong that I am at a lost for words. I equate this to not teaching basic math because we have calculators. I mean, how the hell do you defend against something that blatantly wrong.

I feel like I'm trying to convince someone that setting babies on fire is morally wrong. I mean, if it is that obvious what in the hell can you say to someone who does not 'see' that it is wrong.

Mel...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
How many times is this going to come up? I mean, Jesus.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with dg and william. Cursing should be taught in school. I just can't stand to hear "Gosh Darn" when clearly, a forceful "Goddamnit" is called for. And what's with the term "freaking" (or worse) frickin'? when the speaker's intent is clearly a full-throated Fuck!? So in conclusion, I sincerely hope that no child is made to feel an ass because of potential cost-saving efforts on the part of Pubic Education!!!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
But Mel, Aren't you being dramatic, we have computers and print and and and...

I say no. That is a red herring bullshit cop out of convenience. Arguing that we do not have to learn cursive because we have computers is similar to arguing that we do not have to learn basic math because we have calculators.

This is a faulty analogy. I learned the cursive alphabet as a child and only used it when absolutely forced. A common question while I was still in public school was, "Do we HAVE to use cursive?"

"Yes."

<Groans from all.>

Printing letters does not prevent me from composing English.

Not knowing addition would prevent me from figuring out the circumference of a circle.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
What about the cultures that don't use cursive for their written word-- that have no "specialized" writing that is more complex than the normal? Are they missing this spatial recognition and such that is allegedly so important?

Knowing what cursive letters looks like doesn't help me read 99% of the information that I am exposed to everyday. It doesn't help me process it.

But I think there's a difference between the written word (all handwritten text, printed or cursive) and print. I can write something by hand without using cursive. Last I checked no one's talking about getting rid of D'Nealion Handwriting or teaching kids how to write the printed word.

We've already moved away from one set of fancy scripts to a simpler one. Most people don't write calligraphy either, or in other methods like used in the old Bibles and texts from the 1300s and such. Makes sense to me that the wheel will keep turning and simplify the written word even more.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, B great 4 all 2B BFF!

Dommo

Registered
Reaction score
Cursive is mostly pointless in my book. If cursive were as useful as people make it out to be, everything in existence would be produced in cursive as opposed to print.

Printed words are just more legible. When someone has shitty print hand writing, I can still read it. Now take a person with crappy hand writing and put in cursive, and now it's completely illegible.

Cursive is a dinosaur, who's only purpose aside from being arguably faster to write(which may or may not be the case), is to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Dommo

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, if you look at the speed of writing, the quickest way to write is a hybrid of cursive and print. Join some letters together so you don't lift your writing utensil as often, but you cut down on excessive motion.

Not only is this way faster, but it often is still very legible(benefit of printing), and it can still look good.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...and if there is a future need for employees who can write script those jobs will be exported to other countries as usual.