Midnight Sun

Amynta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
catherine-haines.com
Eclipse was leaked as well?

I didn't know about that.

She's mentioned it in interviews a few times - the difference between the leaks is the sheer size.

Anyway, she gave a copy to her sister-in-law. SIL asked if her own sister could read it, SM said yes, and it kept getting handed around from there, out of SM's and LB's control.

SM tracked down the source of the leak after another fan emailed her about it and basically told the 14 year old girls it'd be their fault if she stopped writing over a leak.

"I told them I can't write with this kind of nightmare. I can't deal with the stress, so if you guys can't keep your mouths shut, I'll have to stop writing."

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2007-07-12/news/charmed/5

Reaction score
Yeah. Throwing her dollies out of the pram.

Not that I'm comparing myself to Meyer, but I once emailed a copy of a WIP to a friend who let his friend read it over his shoulder while it was on his computer screen. I went abso-fucking-lutely apeshit at him.

He couldn't apologise enough and he swore it would never happen again.

Nowadays the only person who reads my WIP is thethinker42 and she knows never to 'leak' any of the chapters or she wouldn't be allowed to read the next one...:e2brows:

But really...Stephenie? Grow the fuck up. You hand out copies of your MSS and let so many other people read them...your fault. It's not up to them to keep their mouths shut, it's up to you to BEHAVE LIKE A DAMN PROFESSIONAL.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Sorry, but I have no sympathy for this drama queen. If she doesn't want leaks, she shouldn't hand out drafts! Hello, how hard is that? Or does she love the attention that much?

I don't even TALK about my WIPs until after they're submitted (and usually not even then). I don't want to jinx them.

Reaction score
I only send my WIP to Lori as we write in the same genre and I want to know if my sex scenes work. I mean, what works for me might not work for you, right? And she's a pervspert in matters of the bedroom...

Ahem.

I'd have to really, really trust someone to even let them read a chapter. Seems to me Smeyer hands out copies willy-nilly and looks for someone else to blame when the inevitable happens.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You know what I think? I think Meyer is somewhat testing her importance. She exerting her power over these girls. Like submitting a piece of her work to her fans and stuff. I wouldn't see the point in selling Midnight Sun, if you just submitted it on the internet for crazed twilight fans to read, even if it was a first draft. They probably won't buy the book because they think the final draft of the story would still be the same as the "crap" on the internet.

I don't mean to bash, but just thinking.

Reaction score
I disagree. The fangurlz will buy anything with her name on it. They'd buy her shopping list if they could.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
I think it will eventually get finished and published and become another best seller, of course. Only half of it is on the net, so people will still want to read the other half (especially Edward's take on the kissing scenes, etc.).
I didn't realize she handed it out, that was foolish. Before I knew that I could really sympathize with her as your writing is an intimate part of yourself.

Reaction score
Yep. Look at all the Twilight merchandise that's being put out. Body shimmer, Christmas stockings, band-aids... if it's Twilight-related, they'll buy it.

Apparently they're thinking of bringing out Twilight-themed garlic tampons to keep the vampires at bay.

Hesperides

Bloody love
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Look at all the Twilight merchandise that's being put out. Body shimmer, Christmas stockings, band-aids... if it's Twilight-related, they'll buy it.

I sell Bella Bracelets on my website and they get eaten up. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go where the money is. If it has "Twilight" on it, it's golden.