Midnight Sun

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to bother you. But I have a question.

Is Midnight Sun the 5th book in the Twilight series? I thought Breaking Dawn was the final book in the series.

I'm really getting sick of the rumors going on. But if Midnight sun is really coming out, then I have to finish all four books as quickly as I can.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Midnight Sun was a retelling of Twilight from Edwards point of view. Same story, same events, different perspective.

After a copy was leaked on the internet, Meyer decided bot to continue working on the project. She posted the draft of the uncompleted novel on her website for free.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Midnight Sun was a retelling of Twilight from Edwards point of view. Same story, same events, different perspective.

After a copy was leaked on the internet, Meyer decided bot to continue working on the project. She posted the draft of the uncompleted novel on her website for free.
Hmmm.... I wonder why anyone would do this. I used to do it, but can't remember why I did it.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's just Twilight through Edward's perspective. The first 250ish pages are on her website. They were leaked and it upset her, of course. Originally, she said she'd never finish it. But, it now says on her website that she will finish it, but no date is given.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I wonder why anyone would do this. I used to do it, but can't remember why I did it.

It is slightly strange. Almost like she's writing fanfic for her own work.

Reaction score
I think it says a lot that she had to hand out copies of Midnight Sun to Twilight cast and crew members so they could get a handle on Edward's 'personality'. Goes to show Twilight itself wasn't adequate - or possibly that Edward doesn't have a personality or motivations.

I'm also tickled by the tendency for vampire novelists (I mean novelists who write about vampires, not novelists who are vampires) to throw online shit fits.

I mean, we have Anne Rice, LKH and now smeyer.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
I think it says a lot that she had to hand out copies of Midnight Sun to Twilight cast and crew members so they could get a handle on Edward's 'personality'. Goes to show Twilight itself wasn't adequate - or possibly that Edward doesn't have a personality or motivations.

I'm also tickled by the tendency for vampire novelists (I mean novelists who write about vampires, not novelists who are vampires) to throw online shit fits.

I mean, we have Anne Rice, LKH and now smeyer.

Meyer' fit seemed pretty tame at least what I read of it. LKH's rantings are just hilarious.

Reaction score
As a side note, I recommend LKH's blog. Typos would be understandable but consistent spelling mistakes and boasts of writing 20-odd pages in a day without editing them really do tickle me.

But you're right - smeyer's tantrum was tame in comparison to, say, Rice's.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
As a side note, I recommend LKH's blog. Typos would be understandable but consistent spelling mistakes and boasts of writing 20-odd pages in a day without editing them really do tickle me.

But you're right - smeyer's tantrum was tame in comparison to, say, Rice's.

I actually kept using Rice as an example when Twilight fans kept spamming one of my book communities with complaints about they didn't agree with the casting choices.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
What I find amusing about LKH is that she bitches about people talking about her private life, which she posts about in her blog. I wouldn't be surprised if SM does the same.

I think that is pretty sad though, that she basically has to retell Twilight like that. I could see something like that if it was from the perspective of a character who saw everything, like both sides of the story as opposed to a main character's POV, but not from a main character. And not to show that person's personality. That just seems redundant.

Reaction score
It's on her site as far as I know, but you'll have to scroll down through all the recent stuff on her home page.

I'll see if I can find a direct link.

Reaction score
Here's something from her site. Pretty tame as rants go, but I still say she's throwing her dollies out of the pram.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I really think she ruined her chances of publication. If her WIP was submitted on the internet without her permission, then it's her own fault for giving it to "trusted" people. Unless someone somehow got access to her computer files and took it of course.

Reaction score
She doesn't have a leg to stand on. She gave out copies of the half-finished draft. Her fault.

I love the way she says "It's badly written 'cause it's a first draft!" and it doesn't seem any better or worse than her published novels.

I still think she's having a pity-party and once she's had enough ego-strokery, it'll be published.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I really think she ruined her chances of publication. If her WIP was submitted on the internet without her permission, then it's her own fault for giving it to "trusted" people. Unless someone somehow got access to her computer files and took it of course.

Are you kidding?

She hasn't ruined anything. Considering how much money those things rake in, she could still get a million dollar advance even with the sneak peak. The irony of her saying it's no good is that MS is better than the other books... which were basically 1st drafts.

(And handing out copies of the hottest property in YA to a couple of teenagers was a bad decision on her part. Period. There are a lot of hands and eyes on a movie set, and no one watches everything at once.)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Actually, despite my whole not being a fan of Meyer, I don't think writing the book from Edward's perspective is a cop out. In fact I think it's a nice idea. Edward is the object of desire for Bella, he isn't the protagonist of the story. We see him only through her eyes. To see his side of the story, to see how he saw her, to see what he went through, is actually very interesting (at least to those people out there who are interested in the books).

Maybe I'm just saying this because I plan on doing something similar with my YA series. But I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't think it was a cool idea.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, despite my whole not being a fan of Meyer, I don't think writing the book from Edward's perspective is a cop out. In fact I think it's a nice idea. Edward is the object of desire for Bella, he isn't the protagonist of the story. We see him only through her eyes. To see his side of the story, to see how he saw her, to see what he went through, is actually very interesting (at least to those people out there who are interested in the books).

Maybe I'm just saying this because I plan on doing something similar with my YA series. But I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't think it was a cool idea.

It just seems like it would have done the series better justice for her to devote one half of Twi. to Bella's POV and the other to Eddie, then she could have made the story much more rounded and had both characters represented equally. Going back and retelling the entire 1st novel is a little odd.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It just seems like it would have done the series better justice for her to devote one half of Twi. to Bella's POV and the other to Eddie, then she could have made the story much more rounded and had both characters represented equally. Going back and retelling the entire 1st novel is a little odd.
I sort of agree. I don't think it's necessary. I mean I already know how Edward sees Bella from book one. Why write what we already know? If she really needed to write her new book that way, then she should have written Midnight Sun a long time ago.

I could be wrong though.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com

I think in Meyer's case that would totally have made more sense. But at the same time I always have liked "other perspective" books. You know like Christopher Moore's "Fool" (which I haven't actually read yet) which tells the story of King Lear from the fool's perspective. I also think there can be something interesting for the same author to write different perspectives as we get an even more well rounded vision of the universe they have created. Personally though the only story that I was interested in was Carlisle's, and that wouldn't have been a retelling of Twilight, more like a prequel I suppose.

Still, my point is more I think there is nothing wrong with the concept, and that in theory I could see how it could work with Meyer's series. But I do agree it probably would have been stronger just to do those two POVs at the same time in the first book.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think if she wanted to do a book from Edward's POV, it should have been a different story than Twilight.

Amynta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
catherine-haines.com
Are you kidding?

She hasn't ruined anything. Considering how much money those things rake in, she could still get a million dollar advance even with the sneak peak. The irony of her saying it's no good is that MS is better than the other books... which were basically 1st drafts.

(And handing out copies of the hottest property in YA to a couple of teenagers was a bad decision on her part. Period. There are a lot of hands and eyes on a movie set, and no one watches everything at once.)

I guess she really didn't learn from the Eclipse leak, which was - you guessed it - a result of her handing out copies of the novel's drafts.