Gardeners of AW, unite

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
We have had a couple of extraordinarily nice spring days here, considering our location at 61 degrees north latitude. It allowed me to plant a bunch more seeds in starter pots, to begin to till the raised beds (never been able to do that this early, in 25 years of gardening here), and actually put out some baby plant sprouts for a few hours in natural sunshine for hardening off. Was a good gardeneer's day.

Interesting new plant I found, also: something called Chinese Kailan broccoli, grown for long stalks and leaves. Started those seeds today.

Otherwise, started from seeds snow peas, scallions, gold rush zucchini squash and pots of the herbs borage, chervil and cilantro.

And dug a hell of a lot of dirt.

caw

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Hip--that's weird. Zephie is usually fairly thornless. I have one now, the only big rose I grow but I was seduced by Neil Diamond a week ago. I had sworn that I would never buy another rose after losing four, one after the other, the first year I lived here.

Neil was flirty. He called to me across a crowded nursery. He is big, double and stripey. He smells like heaven should smell. I spotted a dozen of them in a garden center week before last. Every single one was marked sold! Fortunately my sister found one in her town. On Saturday I drove home with Neil Diamond in my front seat. He didn't scratch the upholstery but he did wet my seat. My grand daughter who has to ride in the back seat was miffed. I won't even let her bring a cold drink into my car!--s6

Last edited:

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Had our first members meeting at my garden yesterday. We did quite a bit of cleanup. On one hand, it was nice to get together with the other gardeners and get to know them better, especially since we have a couple of new members. On the other, there was something going on nearby that I couldn't go to because the meeting was right in the middle of it and parking around that town is a pain on a good day. Throw in a big event on a weekend and forget it. Still, I would've liked to have gone since I don't think I've ever gone to one of these annual events despite living in the area for years.

Anyway, my peas have sprouted and are coming up. The carrots aren't. I also picked a lemon balm plant and put it in a pot to try and keep it from becoming too invasive.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got the Alabama gig (yay for work!) but this means I'll be away from my garden for most of the summer - leaving early June, not to return until early August. Any suggestions as to what I can plant that won't need a lot of care and won't fruit until late summer? Would planting the entire bed in corn (I'm Zone 6B) be a viable choice?

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Also corn takes a lot of nutrients out of the ground so it would need to be planted in another patch of your garden next year. I found peas and beans to be pretty easy to take care of. I'm not sure about your area. The biggest problem is being there to harvest them.

The funny part is I received some seeds from the living history farm I donated money to. I received corn seeds (which I can't really plant because I don't really have the room), carrots (I already planted some earlier), and ground tomatoes. I'll probably plant the ground tomatoes because I know people who like tomatoes; it's just a matter of where since I want to get some other varieties of tomatoes and cucumbers in as well. I just put in a lot of peas and carrots this year, because I do like the peas (and I can put in beans later once the peas are done) and I want to see if I'll get some carrots with all the seeds I put in this year.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Also corn takes a lot of nutrients out of the ground so it would need to be planted in another patch of your garden next year.

Also corn produces relatively little food per unit area gardened. It takes up a hell of a lot of space.

Peppers are great in warm climates, and plants will produce fruit as long as it stays warm. Likewise tomatoes. if you get indeterminate varieties. Squashes and cucumbers are great for warm climates.

caw

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I'll give some thought to all of these. The main thing is that whatever I plant will be largely neglected (I love my husband but he has ZERO interest in gardening). I can install a timed watering system and put down weed-block fabric, but what with the gray squirrels, chipmunks and marauding deer I just don't know if it's going to be worth the effort. I'd hate not to have a garden of some kind this year. :(

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
There is an herb called Sweet Annie. I used to grow it for my daughter, Annie. It thrives on neglect, doesn't have a lot of eye appeal, but in the autumn it makes wonderfully fragrant wreaths. You just bend it into a hoop. We used to make the wreaths together and hang them around the house as a winter accent. Google it. You might love it and it will grow all summer without much care. --s6

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is an herb called Sweet Annie. I used to grow it for my daughter, Annie. It thrives on neglect, doesn't have a lot of eye appeal, but in the autumn it makes wonderfully fragrant wreaths. You just bend it into a hoop. We used to make the wreaths together and hang them around the house as a winter accent. Google it. You might love it and it will grow all summer without much care. --s6

Ooo, I've grown Sweet Annie before (in pots) and love it. Thanks!

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Late update, but update time! My outside seeds are all showing signs of life, despite going in before the last couple hard frosts (carrots, broccoli, radishes and peas). My indoor starter garden is coming along, too, with both varieties of sunflowers going well, the aforementioned brussels sprouts, tomatoes and green onions all saying hello. One lavender is up, which gives me hope that the rest of the lavender, sage and parsley are all okay. The peppers and passionflowers are still quiet, as is the mystery pot I forgot to label...

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
The peppers and passionflowers are still quiet, as is the mystery pot I forgot to label...

You need to label it with one of these ;)

I have no fresh plants in the ground. We had two nights below freezing last week. I swear, this is the week. I'm going to risk it... really. Really.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I definitely need one of those signs.

I only put a few seeds in the ground, ones that could withstand a freeze. I think--but I'm not sure--that we're finally past the worst of it. I mean, it's 80 degrees this week! It can hardly be 80 and also freezing, even here.

My carrots and broccoli are definitely growing, and the asparagus is ferning. For those who grow asparagus: I've read that I can harvest this year, it's old enough, but only a little. However, nothing says what "little" means. A spear, three? Less than a third, no more than a quarter?

One lavender sprouted, and the sage and parsley. I know lavender can take awhile, so I'm giving it some more time. The mystery pot, passionflower and peppers are still quiet. I'm beginning to worry.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Re. asparagus - The rule I've heard is that you should only harvest spears that are as big around as your finger - taking anything smaller than that will weaken the plants. And you're only supposed to harvest for a limited time in the first few harvest years... like, wait the 3-4 years for maturity, then harvest only in the first month of the season for the next couple years.

(My asparagus patch at my old house was well-established, and at my new house is only two years old, so I can't confirm either of these from experience).

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
At long last, my garden is fully planted.

Many interesting things happened - there are now a few of us on an email list, and we actually communicate. That's an awesome surprise.

The local vo-ag brought us an amazing heap of beautiful seedlings, and then all those people who complained about having to buy seeds didn't take any. Oh well. A few of us planted as many things as we could, in as many empty beds as we could. Fingers crossed, my new garden-friends will keep showing up, and we'll have a real garden.

Also, the fence behind the grapes has been a mess forever. The homeowner asked if we could take the weeds/non grapes off his fence, and I told him we only have hand clippers. He offered to come and weedwhack the fenceline. That would be a big help to both of us...

So, current garden outlook is very green!

Also! re: asparagus - one side of the bed is looking pretty good. It's not crazy active, but there's clear signs of life. The other side of the bed is silent. I'm really concerned the rhubarb has done away with those. I really hadn't anticipated the rhubarb growth...

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
We'uns here at 61 degrees north latitude have had the most extraordinarily wonderful and early spring I've ever experienced. So the gardening is about three weeks ahead of normal. Two beds of potatoes in, five other raised beds for vegetables all prepared, with about 1/3 of the space planted in lettuce, bok choy, cabbage, turnips, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, radishes, mizuna greens, snap peas all in the ground, lots of other starts in small pots ready to go in. And two front-of-the-house flower beds about half planted (should complete those tomorrow).

AND, we even got a little rain today. Daytime temps into the 70s yesterday, which is the most unheard-of-thing i ever heard of at this time of year here.

Also, yesterday, I ran across an on-line list of the 15 most nutrional veggies you can eat, based on nutrionists findings. I'm growing 14 of those, all but collard greens.

Now, if only everything doesn't burn to cinders in a wildfire . . .

caw

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
While we here at 44 degrees north had a hard frost the night before last.

I ran a sprinkler over one bed and put blankets on a few other tender plants, but a few leaves still got nipped. And two of my tomato plants that didn't transplant well are using the frost as an excuse to get even more rough-looking. I like starting tomatoes from seed so I can have more interesting varieties, but this might be the year I pick a few plants up at the garden centre.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Last year I dug up a couple of nice big ferns that were stuck behind our garage and transplanted them to shady spots in our back and front yards.

I don't know much about ferns, and I noticed after I separated them that only one cluster of leaves seemed to have roots. Oops.

So I planted that one in the shade in the front yard and stuck the leaves of the other into the soil next to my columbines and bleeding-heart in the back yard and kept them well watered the rest of the summer, even though I felt like the backyard ones were only leaves in a vase.

Except this spring both ferns unfurled and the one in the back is looking big and healthy now. Yay!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This week I went into the yard with a heavy heart, ready to pull up the fig sapling that didn't make it through the winter.

Except.

The fig wasn't dead. The top part was dead, yes, but it's putting out all new growth at the base of the plant. This made both my husband and me unreasonably happy. We have it fenced and shielded with bird netting (to keep out deer with the munchies), and will see how it does.

I decided to let the vegetable garden lie fallow this summer since I'm headed to Alabama in two weeks and won't return until early August. When I get I may try to get some late crops planted, but I'm not going to sweat it.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
This week I went into the yard with a heavy heart, ready to pull up the fig sapling that didn't make it through the winter.

Except.

The fig wasn't dead. The top part was dead, yes, but it's putting out all new growth at the base of the plant. This made both my husband and me unreasonably happy. We have it fenced and shielded with bird netting (to keep out deer with the munchies), and will see how it does.

I decided to let the vegetable garden lie fallow this summer since I'm headed to Alabama in two weeks and won't return until early August. When I get I may try to get some late crops planted, but I'm not going to sweat it.

Hurrah for plants surviving the winter.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have a sweet basil plant in a pot we have managed to keep alive for over two months. Before you laugh, that is an accomplishment. Between the assorted birds and ground rodents, we don't usually manage two weeks. We both love fresh, raw, basil in salads and on sandwiches.

MM

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
I have to keep my basil in an elevated window box attached to the fence, or the slugs will take it all out in a single night. We're trying bok choy this year, which germinated wonderfully quickly, but it's been cool and grey enough that the tomatoes and peppers are just kind of hanging out in seedling sulks. I'm trying rosemary again; I'm hoping that bringing it inside with a sunlamp over the winter will actually keep it alive this year. Coastal winters at 44 north (hiya, Captcha!) aren't kind to Mediterranean perennials.