Status
Not open for further replies.

HoraceJames

Registered
Reaction score
Website
horacejames.wordpress.com
This has been driving me nuts.

When I attempt to access a large thread (well over a thousand replies, but I don't know where the cutoff is) the thread appears to load normally but the screen is empty.

Example with almost 8k replies: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6710

I have three systems running XP with Firefox 3.whatever and it occurs on all of them. It also occurs on the laptop even if I'm connected to any wi-fi network. So, the problem is not related to an individual computer or my network.

I've tried clearing caches and cookies, etc.

IE works fine.

Has anyone else reported this?

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Have you upgraded your fox recently? I'm on v3.06

Mine works fine. (I know that's not terribly helpful... ;-) But I have no problems with any threads.

Don't forget to make sacrifices to the technology gods.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just adding that I'm running Firefox as well and don't have any trouble with any of the threads, even the one you linked.

That sort of implies that the problem is on your end. Who is your ISP?

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
My beef with Firefox is AW is looks like it's on steroids! All other web pages look normal, but AW is blown up to gigantic proportions. I know my eyesight is going, but sheesh!

Anyway, I use IE for AW...Firefox for everything else.

HoraceJames

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just adding that I'm running Firefox as well and don't have any trouble with any of the threads, even the one you linked.

That sort of implies that the problem is on your end. Who is your ISP?

AT&T (formerly Bellsouth) but I have the problem when I use the laptop on other non-AT&T networks.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My beef with Firefox is AW is looks like it's on steroids! All other web pages look normal, but AW is blown up to gigantic proportions. I know my eyesight is going, but sheesh!

Anyway, I use IE for AW...Firefox for everything else.
Have you tried zooming out?

Hold cmd, ctrl and - at the same time. Or cmd, ctrl, + to zoom in.

There are some other settings you can change in Firefox but I've never bothered with them very much.

Last edited:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried zooming out?

Hold cmd, ctrl and - at the same time. Or cmd, ctrl, + to zoom in.

There are some other setting you can change in Firefox but I've never bothered with them very much.

YAY!!! That worked! Thanks so much!

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
If Outlook is "ON" right now, on any computer, go shut it down. It hasn't happened in a while, but sometimes my Outlook would be doing something on and off and I'd get "blank" screens instead of the threads (sounds similar to what you're saying happens.) When I'd shut Outlook off, it'd work better.

Then, if you get the blank page again, try refreshing... see what happens.

You might have to use that last goat. ;-)

Oh, and maybe reset your router. Can't hurt anything.

HoraceJames

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If Outlook is "ON" right now, on any computer, go shut it down. It hasn't happened in a while, but sometimes my Outlook would be doing something on and off and I'd get "blank" screens instead of the threads (sounds similar to what you're saying happens.) When I'd shut Outlook off, it'd work better.

Then, if you get the blank page again, try refreshing... see what happens.

You might have to use that last goat. ;-)

Oh, and maybe reset your router. Can't hurt anything.

Thanks, I'll see if that helps... may be a good excuse to install Open Office.

HoraceJames

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have seen similar problems with users on dialup.

I note that I can load the thread without a problem, but obviously that doesn't help you.

Would you try loading the thread at various "pages" by modifying the three digits at the end, and let me know if that works? It will be a bit slow.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6710&page=161

Ah, it worked. I was able to navigate all the way to the end of the thread using the page numbers/next page links. It timed out when I tried to jump to the last thread, but at no time did I get an empty page.

So... what does it all mean? The cutoff where this seems to happen appears to right around 1000 replies.

Deleted member 42

Ah, it worked. I was able to navigate all the way to the end of the thread using the page numbers/next page links. It timed out when I tried to jump to the last thread, but at no time did I get an empty page.

So... what does it all mean? The cutoff where this seems to happen appears to right around 1000 replies.

OK; that's actually really helpful. I'll look to see if there's a post with an odd character or some other issue that's making the database unhappy.

Thanks for posting :D

Status
Not open for further replies.