odesk?

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen this site mentioned sometimes in threads over the past few months...the general sense I've gotten is that those of you who get work through them are pleased? I've heard some dissent regarding places like elance and getafreelancer, but this one, generally, seems to get a thumbs up?

Am I wrong about this?

I remember a post a couple months ago from JenNipps touting their fast IT service (they saw a post she made on twitter and phoned her...).

I'm looking to generate some fast income while I work on building some long-term things...

Any thoughts on odesk?

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
One thing about oDesk... The application process for some of the jobs can be *very* long. There are some I have honestly forgotten about until I get a notification that they've either expired or the buyer has hired someone else. All that to say getting started might take a while, so it might not be a source of quick income, but once you get started/hired by a buyer, if you've applied for an hourly job and work within the oDesk system, you get paid once a week. (Working in their systems is very important. If there's ever a disagreement about hours worked, you can show the buyer screenshots of your activity.)

I'd recommend taking every certification test you possibly can after you pass the oDesk readiness test. That way, buyers also come looking for you and invite you to interview for jobs you've never applied for. (It's oddly flattering the first few times it happens.)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
In writing my post in the JHS thread, I realized I left something out about oDesk.

They pay by PayPal or a similar service. They don't cut paper checks except in the case of large companies serving as providers.

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
You have to wade through a lot of low-paying jobs to find the good ones, so don't get discouraged. I've done several jobs through oDesk and it's been a very good experience.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
All I've seen is low paying jobs on ODesk and I don't like them taking over my pc and seeing everything I'm doing either. That is a level of privacy I'm just not willing to give up.

That's why I passed it up, too. Too much crap for the computer, though the logging of hours makes sense. But then again, I don't charge by the hour, too many reasons not to.

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. This is all very useful to hear.

I guess I should clarify that by 'fast income,' I mean something coming in over the next 3-5 months, as opposed to the time it will take to begin to generate ad revenue from some other projects in the long run. I'm trying to find work I can do now.

Interesting, how you have to work online to do some of the jobs. I've wondered, when I see those 'pay by the hour' sort of jobs on job lists, how they clock it. So, now I see...

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
All I've seen is low paying jobs on ODesk and I don't like them taking over my pc and seeing everything I'm doing either. That is a level of privacy I'm just not willing to give up.

Let's not be overly dramatic. It records screen shots only while you have it turned on, which is only when you're working on an hourly project. It's only fair to the buyer to have some assurance that you are taking the number of hours you say you are. There are also many flat rate jobs on there, and there is no recording of anything for those.

zoomusic, there are other bidding sites, too. Elance is a good one, and some people have had success on www.getafreelancer.com. There are several content sites to do some low-paying work, like Associated Content, Demand Studios, Helium, etc., and that's pretty quick.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Let's not be overly dramatic. It records screen shots only while you have it turned on, which is only when you're working on an hourly project. It's only fair to the buyer to have some assurance that you are taking the number of hours you say you are. There are also many flat rate jobs on there, and there is no recording of anything for those.

zoomusic, there are other bidding sites, too. Elance is a good one, and some people have had success on www.getafreelancer.com. There are several content sites to do some low-paying work, like Associated Content, Demand Studios, Helium, etc., and that's pretty quick.
excuse me? I'm not being dramatic or overly dramatic. I merely stated I don't the lack of privacy. When you allow a program like that on your pc they have access to it. I understand that they want reassurance and that's fair but I'm not willing to give them access to other information. It's naive to assume that they can't access my files. There's no limit to the access they can have and when you allow them you are taking them at their word they won't go snooping around.

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
They're not "taking over" your pc, they're taking screenshots. And it's only oDesk, which has a privacy policy, that has access to your computer--not the buyer. A company like oDesk could not survive if they compromised their providers' security by accessing files they haven't been given permission to and exploiting them. Have you entrusted your social security number to banks and credit card companies? Same thing...they could use that to cause you all kinds of problems, but they don't.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
As for the low-pay jobs...

Yes, they are (unfortunately) definitely out there. If you sign up to be e-mailed job alerts, you can avoid them a lot easier. Not only that, but applying for hourly jobs only avoids them altogether.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
They're not "taking over" your pc, they're taking screenshots. And it's only oDesk, which has a privacy policy, that has access to your computer--not the buyer. A company like oDesk could not survive if they compromised their providers' security by accessing files they haven't been given permission to and exploiting them. Have you entrusted your social security number to banks and credit card companies? Same thing...they could use that to cause you all kinds of problems, but they don't.
Yes, I'm well aware who has access to the PC when you allow them onto it.

And no, giving access to a privately owned and operated company is not the same as giving it to banking institutions. Banking institutions also don't require I give them access to my pc to take "screen shots".

Also Banks and credit card companies are under federal regulations and scrutany. oDesk is not. They are like any other business and when you give them access to your computer there is nothing to say that an employee of theirs won't take advantage of that. Now if I had a PC that all I did was oDesk work for then, I'd be cool with it.

Just because I don't want to do it doesn't mean that others won't be comfortable doing it. And I will maintain my stance and am quite sure they won't miss my being a provider.

ETA: I need to clarify something, the comment that they aren't "taking over" my PC is an inaccurate description of the point I'm conveying. No they don't take over my pc. That would mean they could use it and do what they wanted and my computer would be a terminal for them. What I'm talking about is they now have access to my computer which means they can access more than just my desktop. It means they can go fishing through my hard drive. When you allow access, you open the door and they walk right in. Sorry, but I'm not so naive as to think because they have a "privacy policy" that some errant employee won't take advantage. No, I refuse to grant them access and after looking at all the jobs, and I do get emailed, I prefer to spend my time elsewhere at a lower risk.

Jen, the hourly jobs I've seen have been mainly below minimum wage. That's not encouraging.

Last edited: