Hurdle by hurdle... do the odds shift in your favour?

Scribly

I a reel good riter.. i sware.
Registered
Reaction score
So you land a reputable agent, say in NYC, and that means you have beaten some pretty good odds already in your search to have that book published. Then your agent has to hit the street and find a publisher.

If you set the odds that you were going to land an agent in the first place at, say 1000 to 1 (just as a reference point - hopefully it's not that bad!), then what do you think the odds are that once you have an agent, that agent will land a publisher?

Do the odds telescope in your favor to, say 500 to 1, or do you face another grind of 1000 to 1 odds?

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
Scribly, odds are, if you write a damn good book and a stellar query, with timing and luck on your side, and a lot of perseverance you will get published.

Other than that, I don't know that there are any odds.

:Shrug:

I know terrific authors who landed terrific agents and didn't sell. I also know a few who finished a 1st ms and sold in the first round of queries.

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
Well, odds and risks are not real entities, and can lead to a lot of stray thoughts. I think the determining factor is the quality of your writing. If you have a top-notch book, the odds of getting a good agent are surely better than 1 in 1,000. More like 1 in 50, I'd say, since timing, overstocked/overworked offices, and mismatches of genre or style creep in. Probably 1/3 of submissions never get looked at, and you can add other factors as desired.

Given that it's a Reputable Agent, they shouldn't be taking on books if they don't think they can sell them. So I'd say better than 1 in 10 odds that a Reputable Agent after accepting a book, will find a Reputable Publisher for it. I don't know that the odds have "telescoped", and it's a bit misleading to think in terms of hurdles, but as a discussion it's okay. It's unnecessarily negative to think of an industry where people actively try to exclude you ... most of the "hurdle" talk comes from people with average work who are quick to feel blocked.

Scribly

I a reel good riter.. i sware.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - that's some broad brush you're painting folks with. But then again, you do have that lofty perspective of SamsDot publishing to speak down from.

scottwilliamcarter

Registered
Reaction score
It's kind of a self-defeating way of looking at it, but here's my take: If you have the capacity to get better and you're willing to keep at it until you've written at least a million words of fiction, then the odds approach a hundred percent.

Of the writers who don't make it, I'd divide them up this way: 95% because they didn't work hard enough and 5% because they lacked the capacity to get better.

The thing is, you can't know if you lack the capacity to get better unless you put in all those of years of working at the craft. That's the leap of faith. Most people don't work hard enough or give up far too soon. Every now and then I run into somebody who *has* writen a couple million words and it's obvious they're just not getting better (or at a very, very slow pace), and those are the saddest folks. But that's a minority. Far more common are the people who think it should be easy, or that because their manuscripts are rejected it's because of "the odds." It's not the odds. It's because they're not ready.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Scribly!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5-2.gif

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there, Scribly, and welcome to AW. As to odds, I don't think you can think this way when writing is concerned. It's a tough world out there, and most important is the qualituy of your writing. But even then, good qualtiy is not equal to finding a publisher. The main thing to a publisher is 'will it sell'? Your book may be great, but of a genre that is not popular, hence they won't publsih.

Nickie

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
the odds are 50/50. you get published or you dont. 50/50. same as everything. the lottery; you either win or you dont. 50/50

now stop worrying over unlaid eggs and do some writing.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Scribly I'll say greetings and welcome to the watercooler. I'll also add that our main rule here is to be respectfull of other members. Remember that and you'll do fine. Before doing anything else here, I'd advise you to go read the newbie guide, which is in a sticky thread at the top of the Newbie Forum.