ID this book

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
So, I read a book many years ago and I have no idea of the author's name or the book title. I can describe the book as I remember it well. Perhaps someone else has read it?

The novel was written by an Englishman who grew up in Northern Ireland. He was from a well-off family and his accent remained English, although his best friend had a strong Irish accent. The opening lines are something like: "They've taken away my shoelaces so I can't hang myself."

The war came along (one of the world wars - can't remember which), and the best friends found themselves enlisted in the army. The English-spoken guy was given a higher ranking because he sounded posh while the Irish guy served under him as a soldier.

The story ambles through the war and you see the friendship remain strong despite the physical and (internal) political barriers. The English officer tries to help the Irish solider as much as he can, as the soldier has it pretty tough (shoes worn out, little food etc.). Something happens (can't remember what) and the Irish soldier is court-marshalled and subsequently sentenced to death. His English friend is required to do the killing. He refuses. His Irish friend is killed anyway and he is court-mashalled and also sentenced to death. And that's why they've taken away his shoelaces.

Does anyone have a clue what the novel is called and who it's by? It's been driving me nuts for years.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I tried a few different versions of your possible opening phrase in quotes on Google, but the only one that matches is The Bubble Reputation: Or Shakespeare Lives by Daniel Curzon--and the line occurs on page 168.

Have you tried the Booksleuth forum on Abebooks.com? They've solved some pretty obscure puzzles. Good luck!

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Jennifer Johnston, How Many Miles to Babylon?

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
zenwriter, thanks but it wasn't that. I'm pretty sure it was a male author, and the title might have included something like swans or pond.

callalilly, I had the same nin-results with google. I'll try Abebooks though -didn't know about that forum - thanks!

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
april, i think zenwriter is correct. here is the description of the movie made of the book which states that one is captured for desertion and the other is put in charge of the firing squad.

http://www.vicpine.co.uk/How-Many-Miles-To-Babylon.htm

another synopsis of the book

Wealthy Alexander Moore and working-class Jerry Crowe are childhood friends and in 1914 find themselves in the same Army unit - Alex as an officer and Jerry as a private. They still remain close, however, until Jerry is court-martialed for desertion, and Alex is put in charge of the firing squad.

an essay about the book which features a lake as an important theme and the recurrence of swans in the book. the essay mentions The Wild Swans At Coole by Yeats as an influence and I'm wondering if in time you haven't gotten the two confused. I am guilty myself of mixing books and authors. lots of fun when you try to find something. :)

http://books.google.ca/books?id=ffL...&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result#PPA112,M1

hmmm i want to read this book now. wonder if the library has it.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
Wow, that IS it! And yes, the swan are so recurring that I was sure they were in the title. Zenwriter, apologies (and thanks!) - that is indeed the one. Thank you for checking it out Nevada. Half the reason the title has driven me nuts is because I always think of Wild Swans at Coole instead of the real title. The influence only became clear to me years later when I studied the poem for the first time, funnily enough.

And yes, it's definitely worth a read.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately my library doesn't have it, so i'll have to do an inter-library loan. not sure how to do that. i'll have to actually talk to a librarian.