web hosting recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
For all writers who have a website, who is your web host, do you recommend them, why or why not? Thanks.

I'm getting ready to put my website up, and any advice is welcome. I'm a freelance magazine writer. Thanks all.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
it really depends on the features you want. Godaddy.com offers both domain registration and web hosting for very reasonable prices, but it all boils down to the features. Most basic packages will handle the bandwidth needs of just about any authors website, except your bestsellers... however, if you plan to have a forum, blog, video streamed messages... etc... will help you to narrow down which package and hosting service is best for you.

I host with solidinternet.com, because you can't beat their price, and its feature loaded... but, the tradeoff is customer service and help... you need to be self knowledgable in loading, maintaining a website, because they offer little to no assistance... hence, the very low cost.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Wow, first time I'd seen that. Way to Tirjasdyn!!

All very well said.
The only thing I'd add, and take it for what its worth. I use Nearly Free Speech for hosting. You pay for the bandwidth your site actually uses. Has been very cost effective thus far.

Someday, when I'm really popular, maybe it won't be. But right now, it works for me.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
One scrap of advice: do not buy a domain name that is tied to the host. Keep the domain ownership and hosting religiously separate. Buy the domain name, then get the host. Otherwise you may lose the domain name when you realize that there are much better webhosts out there (or you just need more features).

Second scrap of advice: do NOT search available domains to see if your pet domain name is taken already. That will ensure that it will be taken within ten minutes. Just have a backup choice available when you register. Trust me, the domain market game is a snakepit.

Number three, never lose your domain. This ties in with #1, but stands by itself and kicks butt.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Nevada. I did search but failed to find. Great info there. Anyone here using WebHostingPad as a web host or KompoZer as a WYSIWYG website editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.