Predicting Spartan Male Spectator Behavior... (a tough egg to crack?)

When happening upon the beginning of a fistfight, a Spartan male would:

• Cough and politely turn away - it's a personal matter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stand by and watch out of curiosity but wouldn't interact

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Stand by ready to break it up if necessary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stand by and goad/cheer the two on

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Since I received a few questions in SYW about my take on the matter - what better way than a poll? :) Plus, I'm too foggy from a nasty head cold to write my next scene, so a little Friday night diversion is nice.

I just finished a scene of a fistfight between two young Spartan soldiers - one is the nineteen year-old son of a highly respected Commander of a Division (Lochos), and the other is a twenty year-old soldier with no special bloodlines. Both are well-respected for their abilities and courage.

The fight occurs during the Hyacinthia - a religious festival dedicated to Apollo.

Now for the poll. During the fistfight, how would Spartan men behave who happen by and witness the fight? Granted there will be individuals who may do any of these, but what would be most likely? And if you wouldn't mind posting your reason for your choice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

c.e.

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I voted for stand by and goad but I'd also vote for standing by reading to break it up in a few cases - I could see some of the more sober, serious folks casting a wary eye over it all, maybe the older ones. I have no knowledge of Spartan culture besides a few History Channel documentaries, however!

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
I voted for goad & cheer as well. Wrestling, gladiators, dueling, gunfights, boxing, football - no matter the time period, men always seem to enjoy watching a good fight.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Hm. I voted for option 2 -- stand by and watch out of curiosity but wouldn't interact. Why? I agree they'd be curious to watch a good fight, but I can't imagine them cheering and shouting a whole lot because the Spartans were known to live a severe and restrained lifestyle. Not sure they'd break it up either, but let the fight play out, even if the loser died. They weren't tolerant of weakness; they respected strength, so why break it up? I'd think they'd prefer the fight to play out so they could appreciate the strength and prowess of the fighters. I would imagine their approach to 'celebration' would be much more restrained than we would expect these days --like a grunt, a slap on the back and enough of the mushy stuff... ;)

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
Based on what I know of the Spartans, I'd bet they would cheer on the combatants to give it their all--and I'd also bet the loser's bad day would get worse in a hurry, especially if he showed any inclination to run or quit. As san said, they weren't tolerant of weakness.

For what it's worth.
HN

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
My opinion is they would stand and watch, making sure both sides fought fairly, then after the fight was over *both* would be punished for disrupting a religious festival. The loser would be doubly punished, either actually punished or through a decrease in standing, for losing.

ETA: I've mulled this over a bit more and want to change my answer: if the fight occured at the Hyacinthia then the elders would have moved swiftly to stop it. Both would have been punished, still, for disrupting a religious festival (which could even be grounds for particularly harsh punishment, including being stripped of their Spartiate standing). More reading is required . . .

Scott

Last edited:

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Memnon,

Thanks so much for your input. Here's a little more detail that might clarify things. The fistfight happens on the second day of the festival, when the people are being called to the horse race, so certainly not in the middle of a particular ritual. In addition, that part of the festival is not solemn, like the first day which is dedicated to Apollo's grief for Hyacinthus, but is more of a celebration. If it had happened on the first day, I would 100% agree that elders would stop it immediately and punish the two involved. That first day is particularly solemn with strict rules of appropriate behavior.

Here's a link for whomever might be interested that explains things succinctly:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/SMIGRA*/Hyacinthia.html

Thirdly, the two involved stop the fight on their own after one blow each, and the way I've written the fight it's not wild or crazy but actually pretty controlled and contained. I'm not heading towards punishing them at this point, but I am definitely reconsidering having the spectators goad, but still, everyone's been doing some merrymaking and they've let their hair down, so to speak. I might change the interruption of the father at the end to be more harshly critical of their behavior. At least that's where I stand now.

c.e. (waffling as well)

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Does the fight happen in a public place? If so, option 5, report the pair to a proctor and have them both arrested (failure to do so could get me into trouble). If on the other hand it's some kind of designated spot where athletic activities happen, observe and cheer impartially.

-Derek

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
Hi C.E.,

Actually, after reading the link you posted I'm more than convinced the Spartans would have put the kibosh on any fight, and they'd do it quickly. The emphasis on truces during the time of the Hyacinthia is what swayed me:

. . . the Lacedaemonians on one occasion concluded a truce of forty days with the town of Eira, merely to be able to return home and celebrate the national festival (Paus. IV.19 § 3); and that in a treaty with Sparta, B.C. 421, the Athenians, in order to show their good-will towards Sparta, promised every year to attend the celebration of the Hyacinthia (Thucyd. V.23).

Especially if the Spartans attach to it some of the same restrictions as they did the Karneia (the article mentions a connection to the Karneian Apollo that might be worth following up on), violence would have been discouraged if not outright frowned upon. Remember, the Spartans were as religious as they were fierce . . .

Maybe allow the young men to get a couple of good licks in before the tide of shouting elders drives them apart. Both are certain to receive a righteous dressing down, at the very least, and possibly they'll have to perform some sort of sacrifice to atone for breaking the truce of the Hyacinthia.

Hope this helps!

Scott

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
You make a good argument, Memnon. That's an interesting perspective - that the truce issue would make any sort of violence, even a short interpersonal bout involving only two men, frowned upon. I can certainly visualize how I would do this scene differently according to what you've said here. And the fight itself wouldn't have to change, since it's brief and not very dramatic. And it gives me an excuse to bring in my favorite character to come down on them. Hmmm...

Thanks again,

c.e.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to say "Watch and maybe egg on the fight", but I like Memnon's suggestion better.

If done right, with minimum setup, I think it'll take most readers by surprise (while being historically accurate) and provide a great twist.

I think most readers reading about Spartans would expect the 'let fight' scenario, so having this occur would shock them awake and could allow your story to spin off in new directions (protag wins, yet loses and now must suffer consequences - fueling story.)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Now for the poll. During the fistfight, how would Spartan men behave who happen by and witness the fight? Granted there will be individuals who may do any of these, but what would be most likely? And if you wouldn't mind posting your reason for your choice, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I think a spectacle--like a fistfight--always draws a crowd. Always has, always will.

So, as you say, there will be some doing each of these things. But there will be more watching and cheering/goading than anything else. Of course, that "more" will be younger in average age than the ones walking away or just watching or preparing themselves to break it up. Don't forget that the two combatants will have friends, friends that might have opinions about the two. You know, there will be some saying "it's about time such-and-such got a good beating."

All that said, I think people in charge would do much as Memnon says. But I thought you were just asking about the typical people.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Spartans are known for goading each other. I'm on the line about agreeing with Scott. What stops me from just jumping aboard is:

1) Spartan on Spartan is not going to shatter the peace with any other country.

2) I'm sure there would be wrestling and other bouts at such a festival, and it would be easy to cary one such too far.

3) It doesn't take into account the Spartan spirit of competition. I think the fight would go on until the end, and the loser would be punished.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Good thoughts, brokenfingers. Thanks for that.

I like your analysis, Robeiae. This cracked me up -
You know, there will be some saying "it's about time such-and-such got a good beating."
And you're right - one of the guys has friends who were walking with him up until the time of the confrontation. That's how I initially wrote the scene - with the goading/cheering. But if this truce issue extends to no violence during the festival, then all of these guys have to know they're out of bounds by participating. My two involved have their own reasons for ignoring any such rule, but the spectators? Good stuff. Thanks!

Hey, IB! How are you? (and how's Will? ;) ) The thing is, as far as I've been able to tell, this particular festival is VERY somber and strict on the first day and most likely the last day. The celebrations in the middle include parades, choruses, dancing and horse races, but no confrontational sorts of competitions like fighting or wrestling. I know these guys need to let their hair down sometime, they can't always be serious, and what better time than when on hiatus from the army? They behaved differently at this festival. Even the Helots were included and allowed to celebrate with them, as were foreigners. But on the other hand, religion was EXTREMELY important in Sparta, as were rules, so I totally see Memnon's point as well. Thanks so much for giving your opinion.

I think in the end I'll probably have a couple of friends watching and cheering/goading, but have elders or the Commander father of the one come in and bring holy hell down on them. As written they already stop the fight themselves, and there is no loser - one blow apiece.

I really appreciate the input from you all - especially the manly men of AW on this particular issue, since I'm lacking in testosterone myself. I also want to thank Phaedo for bringing up this issue in the first place in her very thoughtful crit.

Last edited:

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, IB! How are you? (and how's Will? ;) )

Well, I finished the first pass on APTW...it's cooling down. I recently had a critique that shook me, but I won't know how to feel until I get back more from readers who have finished it. (I'm concerned I won't have any.)