AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Hacker site] VipraSys

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar

Angry [Hacker site] VipraSys

I just had this sent to me from another author. There's a web forum where there are quite a few people are exchanging links, etc to pirated eBooks from a whole whack of authors:

http://www.viprasys.com/vb/f139/

I thought people should know.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood.” Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

Poet. Veteran. Comic Book Maker jst5150's Avatar
    I'm always enlightened by the number of graphic novels and art books that can be had on peer-to-peer networks.
    Last edited by jst5150; 02-21-2009 at 02:46 AM.
    “You cannot overestimate the unimportance of practically everything.” -- Maxwell

I write and draw a printed space opera/scifi comic book, "Vorpal": http://headshrinkerspress.com/vorpal

There's like.... 63 pages of pirated books on there. Holy cow!

My Website. Twitter.

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood.” Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

the land of black flies TheRightEyedDeer's Avatar
    I get a 'page load error' with that link.
    Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until the drops of blood form on your forehead.
    - Gene Fowler

TheRightEyedDeer

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Worked for me.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    A writer's biggest problem isn't piracy; it's obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    I agree, but how freaking cheap can you get to want to pirate an eBook for crying out loud!

My Website. Twitter.

If anyone here sees one of their books on the site, they should send an email to Copyrightclaims AT Godaddy.com, in accordance with this:

http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/legal_...RADMARK%5FCOPY

It's the typical DCMA stuff; you have to say you're the copyright holder and verify you didn't give permission.

GoDaddy currently hosts this site, and they are generally very proactive about these things.

Sorry, Uncle Jim, but I completely disagree.

Yes, obscurity is a bigger problem, certainly. But I really have a hard time understanding how anyone can just shrug their shoulders at this while bookstores and publishers lay people off and teeter on the edge of bankruptcy (as with Borders.) It's very easy to say "Those people wouldn't have bought the books anyway," but that doesn't make it true. How do you know they wouldn't have? I'm sure a percentage of them wouldn't have, but a percentage of them also might. And yes, for some books giving away free copies increases sales. But not all the books being pirated are print books. Some are ebooks--there's pages and pages of listing from EC there--and those books do not exist in any other form. When you download the pirated ebook you possess the book in the only format in which it is available, period.

Not to mention copyright theft is a crime, plain and simple. And it's one I believe no writer should shrug at. We all know about genericized trademarks. Isn't it just possible that if we don't defend our copyrights eventually we will lose them? I'm tired of being told a criminal act is no big deal and it's dumb of me to get upset about it. And I'm tired of writers who seem to think that since ebooks aren't "real" books anyway, ebook authors should just quit worrying when they're being stolen from. Ebook sales offer much higher royalties but a (generally) lower number of sales. If people can get my ebooks for free they won't buy them, and each of those books is worth anywhere from $1.20 to $2.50 or so to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark
    Last edited by Stacia Kane; 02-21-2009 at 03:22 PM.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    I got a page load error. But my computer hates me, so I'll keep trying.
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

Frustrated Pluviophile seaaircarol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DecemberQuinn View Post
    Not to mention copyright theft is a crime, plain and simple. And it's one I believe no writer should shrug at. We all know about genericized trademarks. Isn't it just possible that if we don't defend our copyrights eventually we will lose them? I'm tired of being told a criminal act is no big deal and it's dumb of me to get upset about it. And I'm tired of writers who seem to think that since ebooks aren't "real" books anyway, ebook authors should just quit worrying when they're being stolen from. Ebook sales offer much higher royalties but a (generally) lower number of sales. If people can get my ebooks for free they won't buy them, and each of those books is worth anywhere from $1.20 to $2.50 or so to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark

Agreed! I am going to have an ebook released soon (hopefully soon; I don't have a release date yet), and I figure I'll need all the sales I can get.
    The Princess and the Poison, the first cozy in the Storybook Park Mystery series, is now available at most e-book retailers.

www.carolayer.com

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    My ebooks have yet to show up on any pirate site. I don't know if I should be happy or worried.
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

practical experience, FTW mlhernandez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DecemberQuinn View Post
    Sorry, Uncle Jim, but I completely disagree.

Yes, obscurity is a bigger problem, certainly. But I really have a hard time understanding how anyone can just shrug their shoulders at this while bookstores and publishers lay people off and teeter on the edge of bankruptcy (as with Borders.) It's very easy to say "Those people wouldn't have bought the books anyway," but that doesn't make it true. How do you know they wouldn't have? I'm sure a percentage of them wouldn't have, but a percentage of them also might. And yes, for some books giving away free copies increases sales. But not all the books being pirated are print books. Some are ebooks--there's pages and pages of listing from EC there--and those books do not exist in any other form. When you download the pirated ebook you possess the book in the only format in which it is available, period.

This. Exactly. It royally chaps my buns to see my ebooks pirated on these sites. I work hard and deserve to have my work protected. It's theft, plain and simple.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Chick View Post
    My ebooks have yet to show up on any pirate site. I don't know if I should be happy or worried.

Requests for mine turned up less than a week after it released ( thanks Google Alerts!). I'm not sure whether to take it as a compliment...But thanks for the link DQ. *hurries off to fill it in*

ETA: I noticed that viprasys has been suspended for spam and abuse
    Last edited by Mr Flibble; 02-21-2009 at 10:29 PM.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

fantasy dweller
    I can't get through either. All three of my books are available in regular and e-book format. I'll keep trying but my guess is the effort to redress this issue will be more costly in $$$ and time than I want to spend.

Besides, anyone can buy an e-copy and then reproduce and sell it multiple times. Some of these sites are peer-to-peer and require membership and I'm unwilling to join just so see if my books are listed.

This runs in tandem with resellers selling my books on amazon. I don't get a dime from those sales. But then again I wouldn't profit if they end up in yard sales either.
    C

practical experience, FTW
    Worked for me and HOLY amount of books and requests for them!
    Last edited by brainstorm77; 04-03-2010 at 11:30 PM.

the land of black flies TheRightEyedDeer's Avatar
    Still can't access the viprasys site:

Address Not Found Firefox can't find the server at viprasys.com.
    Tried it in Explorer as well. No luck.
    Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until the drops of blood form on your forehead.
    - Gene Fowler

TheRightEyedDeer

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    No longer works for me. Looks like someone took them down.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.J. Le Blanc View Post
    No longer works for me. Looks like someone took them down.

Perhaps they did. I can't access it either.

Wow. GoDaddy is FAST with that stuff, I guess. I'm impressed. ***I assume they are fast; I wouldn't know, because I did NOT file a claim.***
    Last edited by Stacia Kane; 03-25-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Okay, I really hate to bring this thread back up, but I also really am not comfortable getting email after email after email about it either.

I DID NOT GET VIPRASYS SHUT DOWN.

I had NOTHING to do with it.

Under DCMA law, ONLY the copyright holder can file a claim. Viprasys was not pirating any of my work; therefore I couldn't legally file a claim. Therefore I did NOT file a claim.

Okay? I didn't do it. Please stop PMing me and emailing me and commenting on my blog that this site is back up with a different host or whatever; I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    If you haven't already, please forward any and all such PMs, email, etc. to MacAllister.

This goes for everyone else, too.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW kristin724's Avatar
    I just got the alert for my book here too, but you can't post in their forum or email the adminstrator of course. I finally found a moderator that I sent a message to, politely asking for my book files to be removed. We'll see.

The Vampire Family - in paperback!
    Fate and Fangs- series on sale now!