• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Levine Greenberg Rostan Literary Agency (formerly Levine Greenberg Literary Agency)

scarletfox

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the Levine Greenburg agency, it belongs to aar and P&E reccommends them, so all I'm really looking for is personal experiences

Thanks! :)

RicMarion

Scarletfox

Levine Greenberg - very nice folks.

I submitted on their web site - kinda a weird form, but it worked pretty good.

They contacted me a few days later and said the 30 pages hadn't come through and they wanted to see it - all this by email.

I sent that and, drats, was ultimately rejected.

But a very professional outfit - got a personal note saying a few different agents looked at it and to send my next project their way.

Probably can't go wrong with them

Good luck!!!!!

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Any other information on them, specifically associate agent Jenoyne Adams? I know that's she's an author that's represented by them. I'm assuming that's how she got her start there.

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
This was my personal experience with her. Take it for what you will.

I sent her an e-query one night (7/29/05). It was after 9pm. She got back to me within the hour. She liked the query and asked to send my Manuscript electronically. I did so with a cover email.

Three months went by and I didn't hear anything. I sent her a follow-up email, very politely asking if she had gotten a chance to look at my manuscript.

No reply to the follow-up email and no rejection to my manuscript. Obviously by now I have moved on. I don't mind no response to a query, but never getting a response to my manuscript request bothers me a little.

Maybe this experience is an anomoly. Who knows? But, I at leasted want to tell you what happened.

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score
I had the same experience w/ Jenoyne Adams. She responded very quickly to my query, asking for the manuscript via e-mail. After about 2 1/2 months, I also sent a polite message and she never responded. Recently, I sent another message telling her that I was working on revisions and asking that if she hadn't had a chance to begin the manuscript, would she be interested in seeing the revision. It's been almost a week and I haven't heard anything.

Ok, I'm guessing I can take this as a rejection, but it's hard to believe that someone from such a reputable agency doesn't respond to follow up e-mails.

Anybody else have this experience?

Amy

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Provrb1810meggy said:
Oh great. Now this thread is making me nervous.

Is she the one that requested your manuscript by phone?

Dawnny

Registered
Reaction score
Jenoyne Adams

I contacted Jenoyne for one of my clients as well.
she asked for the book PDF.

It was 2 weeks and she got back to me, she called we talked forever about the book, how much she liked it. She said she had to talk it over with the editors.
meanwhile, Jenoyne knew I was waiting for her response before moving forward. I was even familiar with Jenoyne, she is the agent for another client of mine.

It's been 2 months, she never got back to me, I left her 2 messages plus a few emails.
Seems Jenoyne has a habit of requesting books and just never resonding.
so unprofessional.
I'll never reccomend her again/

UWS

Registered
Reaction score
Jenoyne Adams is my agent. At least, we have a signed contract that says so, and "working" (for lack of a better word) with her has been one of the most frustrating, infuriating experiences of my life.

When we first talked on the phone, she seemed truly enthusiastic about my project, said she had several editors in mind who'd be interested in my work, etc. I signed up with her -- and she disappeared.

I'm not one of those authors who contact their agents every week "to find out how things are going," but after eight months (I'm not exaggerating) she had done nothing and I sent her a polite, but firm, email expressing my concerns and saying that if this was her way of doing things, I just didn't think we could work together anymore. She emailed and called back, full of apologies, excuses, and plans to change things: "I need to delegate more," "From now on, every proposal will be sent to editors within two weeks," blah, blah, blah.

I told her that was fine, since I really, really didn't want to go through the hassle of looking for another agent. Then she disappeared AGAIN. I emailed her a few months later, mainly because I wanted to see whether she was still alive, not because I wanted to work with her anymore. She never even had the decency of emailing me back.

So technically, I'm still her author (neither of us has terminated the contract) but this experience soured me on the project so much, I no longer intend to do it. In the meantime, I started writing a novel. I already finished it, and now I'm looking for a reliable and professional agent to work with. If Jenoyne Adams were the only agent on the planet, I would go it alone.

I'm writing this to warn other people, so you won't end up wasting a year of your life, like I did, thinking Jenoyne Adams is sending your manuscript to editors when in reality she's doing -- well, who knows what she's doing, but it's certainly not working for her authors. I'm sure there are crack addicts who are more reliable than Jenoyne Adams.

Last edited:

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
My email query must have disintegrated as it crossed the border. No reply ever. No bounce-back either.

UWS

Registered
Reaction score
Because it's not necessary

You only sign up with an agent for a specific project. Since she's obviously not sending my proposal to editors, and I'm no longer interested in working on that project, terminating the contract is pretty much unnecessary.

I've moved on -- I started writing a novel, completed it, got feedback from other authors, edited it, and now I'm sending it to other agents. That she once (at least in paper) represented me for a project that didn't go anywhere is irrelevant.

If I ever feel like going back to my non-fiction project, then of course I would have to terminate the contract, so that someone else could shop it around, but for now at least I'm going to stick with fiction.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
What a frustrating and terrible experience. I'm glad you've been able to move forward. Best of luck.

J.

UWS

Registered
Reaction score
What I learned

Thank you. It was a terrible experience but I learned a few lessons:

1. Just because a person works for a prestigious agency, it doesn't mean that she's a good agent.

2. Interview the agent thoroughly. I failed to do this because I trusted the Levine Greenberg name. I should have asked Ms. Adams what other authors she worked with, whether she had sold their projects, how long it normally takes for her to send a proposal/manuscript to editors, etc.

3. If possible, talk to authors who are represented by that agent, to get their feedback. This board is also a fantastic resource and next time I'm considering working with a specific agent, I'll make sure to ask people here about their experiences working with him or her.

4. Stick with a Manhattan-based agent. I'm in New York, most of the editors are in New York, and although I thought it was a little weird to be represented by an agent who lives in Los Angeles, at the time it didn't seem that important. This is not meant as a criticism of all agents who are based elsewhere. I have many friends who are represented by agents who live in California and other states, and they've had very positive experiences. Of course, if you have a good agent, he'll respond to your emails and phone calls wherever he is, but in this case the long distance made it too easy for Ms. Adams to ignore me. So now I'm sending query letters only to New York-based agents. That way I can meet the person (not just talk on the phone), and I trust my instincts will help me choose a good, reliable agent.

Hope my hard-learned lessons help.

WestofMars

ShapeShifter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.westofmars.com
Not always

UWS said:
You only sign up with an agent for a specific project. Since she's obviously not sending my proposal to editors, and I'm no longer interested in working on that project, terminating the contract is pretty much unnecessary.

I'd still double-check the contract, if I were you. If this woman thinks you're still under contract to her, she can throw a monkey wrench into things, even though you're switching genres.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for this insight on Jenoyne Adams! I suppose my full will probably go ignored, like others. If she does offer representation, everyone's info on her here would make me extremely hesitant about signing with her. When I was doing my research, I mostly just searched about Levine Greenburg, not Jenoyne Adams.

EDIT: I just got a prompt and courteous rejection on my full manuscript from her. Also, does anyone know if they care about querying someone else in the agency if someone else rejected it? If it was a full, I'm guessing you're not supposed to, but I'm unsure.

Last edited:

UWS

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, I wonder if the timing had anything to do with the messages on this board. Anyway -- if I were you, I would move on. After all, an agent's behavior reflects on her agency, and from what I saw working with Jenoyne Adams, I wouldn't want to be represented by Levine Greenberg. I'm sure you can find a different agency that's reliable and better suited to your needs. Good luck in your search.

Dawnny

Registered
Reaction score
New York editors

One thing Jenoyne did say to me is that everything moves from the New York office. She is in CA, but everything is done in New York. That is where I mailed the additional papers she requested. Also, I do know a few of her clients. I did ask her who her clients were and because I knew a good many and they have new books each year, I thought she was right on the money. Not so I guess. She sure talked a good game.

Alexandra

Registered
Reaction score
Danielle Svetcov / Levine Greenberg

I am looking for information on Danielle Svetcov at Levine Greenberg. I read the thread about another agent there, which was mostly negative. I would specifically like to know if anyone has had any contact with her. Also, does anyone know what her background is? Thanks!

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Yes, I have dealt directly with her. She requested to see my children's MS based on my query. She later gave me a very nice and polite rejection after about a week or two.

Good luck. That's a huge agency.

allen

Alexandra

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thank you for responding. Do you know whether she might be Russian-American? I also have a project related to Russian history and wanted to know whether to mention it now, or to wait for her response to the two chapters she requested yesterday. Thanks!

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I can't answer the question about whether she's Russian/American or what have you. From her name, I assumed she was Russian. You can also see a picture of her on the agency's website, but I don't know if that helps.

Wait for her response regarding the requested material. After she either rejects it or asks for more, you should ask then. Just my thought, anyway.

Hope it works out for you!

allen