• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Levine Greenberg Rostan Literary Agency (formerly Levine Greenberg Literary Agency)

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
I think that new posters to the forum should spend some time becoming familiar with this wonderful, informative and inciteful home before making inflammatory statements.

NYGirl, a red flag is a red flag! I agree.

J.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
jkorzenko said:
I think that new posters to the forum should spend some time becoming familiar with this wonderful, informative and inciteful home before making inflammatory statements.

NYGirl, a red flag is a red flag! I agree.

J.
Hmm...innocent homonym or Freudian slip? ;)

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I think my query to Jenoyne disintegrated in transit and I forgot all about it. Last night, I queried Stephanie Rostan with a synopsis and this morning she replied asking for a full via email.

So, has anyone worked with her? I found the following article intersting: http://www.writersdigest.com/articles/bardsley_manhattan.asp

i thought the agency web site said not to query individual agents. i used the online form. did i miss something ( that i could use to my advantage, i mean, heh heh!)?

Last edited:

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
LOL Some times it pays to be dumb, Clara, but this time I did it in complete innocence. It might work for you, too.

I was searching agent.com and came across Stephanie on their list. I checked her full bio but I didin't go to the website as I know Levine Greenberg is reputable. I picked up her email address there and shot off a query letter and synopsis.

I sent her the full earlier today and she mailed to let me know she had it and would get back to me. Now -- I wonder if I can walk with my toes crossed as well as my fingers!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
LOL Some times it pays to be dumb, Clara, but this time I did it in complete innocence. It might work for you, too.

. Now -- I wonder if I can walk with my toes crossed as well as my fingers!

well, all digits crossed here for you, too!

I think I'd risk coming across as a spammeister if I sent her an individual email after using the online form.(Stephanie is the one I was hoping to interest as well).

oh well. glad it worked for you, though!

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Oops--I saw Carmy's post and sent a direct email before stumbling onto the rest of this discussion. Oh well, she hasn't responded, so I'm guessing it's a no anyway. But good luck Carmy (and Clara Bow, when you submit the proper way like I should have!).

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Pizars and Clara. It's too soon yet to get a reject. LOL

Clara -- I didn't hear a word from them when I used their form, so you might not hear anything either. If you don't, send a Fiction Query to Stephanie.

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
This week, Danielle posted on another website that she is actively seeking MG and YA.

GirlLit

Registered
Reaction score
Jenoyne is also my agent. I’ve had a very different experience working with her than what has been posted on this board. When I sent her my query, she responded within a few minutes asking for the full. I emailed it to her on a Friday and by Monday she had read it and was offering representation. Within three weeks of signing with her, my book was on submission at several major houses. Everything moved very quickly.

Unfortunately, after a couple of very close calls, my first book didn’t sell and I was worried that it would affect our relationship. But she stuck with me, remained enthusiastic and agreed to represent my future work. And I’m glad she did because she recently sold my latest novel in a 3-book deal. We’re now going back and revisiting my first project.

I’m not famous, nor do I have a major platform or any sort of industry connections. I queried her cold and have had nothing but a positive working relationship with her since. She’s a wonderful person and a great agent.

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
Regarding a previous comment about a lot of new members posting on this thread: am I the only one paranoid enough to think behind something like an agent taking a bashing on this board and suddenly a lot of new members showing up saying how wonderful she is?
Just a thought.

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
In fact since this turkey looking over my shoulder here said I WAS being paranoid I took a little time to snoop around more and found that several of the sudden defenders of this agent signed up, posted that defense and never posted before or since.
So just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not chicanery afoot, I say.

Specifically, I'm referring to one-hit posters montage, girllit, and latinoflavored -- who replied to a post saying "Red Flag" with an adjuration to chill out and not be hysterical.

I don't think you have to be Nick the Greek to compute the odds of this NOT being somebody stacking the forum as a very low pay shot.

Last edited:

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
No news might be some news for someone: I e-mailed Stephanie Kip Rostan my query at 11:50, she e-mailed back at 5:22 saying my project wasn't right for her. Pretty fast turn around time, I'd say.

AussieBilly

Beach sand in his ear ...
Registered
Reaction score
Hard to tell if James Lavine is real or not ...

It is very difficult to know whether James Levine at [FONT=&quot]Levine Greenberg Literary Agency[/FONT] is the real deal or not. Within approximately 24 hours after submitting my query I received a response:

Your message

To: James Levine
Cc:
Subject: Query for ART RECOVERY, INC. a 93,000-word novel
Sent: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 01:02:38 -0400

was deleted without being read

Deleted without being read leaves an ugly taste in my mouth. Shame on you James Levine. Makes me wonder exactly what kind of agency Levine Greenberg are running. P&E highly recommend them ... any one run into this kind of response before? Any idea why an agent would be so boorish, ill-mannered and rude?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps their server's having a hiccup. What email address did you use to query them?

Edited to add: their website clearly says not to query agents directly, but to use their general submissions@blahblah email address for queries. So if you sent your query directly to JL, his email program would probably have deleted it automatically.

Last edited:

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if L-G is one of them, but more and more agencies are moving to the 'no response means not interested' for email queries. If you had your genre in the subject line and Mr. Levine knew he was temporarily not interested in anything from that genre, maybe he just deleted it without reading it.

I'm sure this happens more than we think (especially with my own queries, I'm beginning to fear!), but since you had 'read receipt' turned on you were just unfortunate enough to find out about it.

Look at it this way. At least you won't have to wait 2 months to scratch his name off your list.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I don't believe Levine Greenburg is accepting submissions via email. These people are so busy, they have to stick to strict guidelines. Send it thru their form. Chances are high they won't even realize it was you. Don't take it personal. They are legit but you can imagine how busy they would be if they accepted all the emails I'm sure they recieve daily. Good luck! I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.

God bless!

AussieBilly

Beach sand in his ear ...
Registered
Reaction score
Still thinking bad thoughts about Levine

Perhaps their server's having a hiccup. What email address did you use to query them?

Edited to add: their website clearly says not to query agents directly, but to use their general submissions@blahblah email address for queries. So if you sent your query directly to JL, his email program would probably have deleted it automatically.

au contraire ... their form, a wonderment in itself, does not have an opening for one to include a method of submitting chapters ... and suggests an alternative if one so desires -- a direct link to a blank addressed email page.

Yeah, the genre was well within their advertised scope ... no other agency has simple deleted the query, a variable work of art in itself, even when responding with a form 'no thank you.' I still maintain it is simply bad manners on Mr. Levine's part.

However, to be fair, I will submit via the form and leave off the sample chapters ... and when they, breathing heavily, forward a contract to me, I will tell them to ... well, maybe not.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
It could also be that they have a spam filter like so many do now. If so - many things are deleted immediatly. Did you type something funky in the title? Make sure you just type QUERY so things do not get deleted. I've been told many times by agents before I found one that if you want something read keep the title simple or it gets wiped out by the server.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
au contraire ... their form, a wonderment in itself, does not have an opening for one to include a method of submitting chapters ... and suggests an alternative if one so desires -- a direct link to a blank addressed email page.

They have a link to their submit@ email address. If you sent it to someone else it was probably (and rightfully) deleted.