• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kraas Literary Agency (Irene Kraas)

MysteryWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in Ashley Kraas because she repped a novel that is similar to mine. She's ok in P&E, even has a $ next to her name. However, the agency she works for, Kraas Literary Agency, has this on P&E:
Not recommended. a literary agency. A writer reports she charges an upfront fee, but has sales with reputable publishers.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Thanks! :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
MysteryWriter said:
I'm interested in Ashley Kraas because she repped a novel that is similar to mine. She's ok in P&E, even has a $ next to her name. However, the agency she works for, Kraas Literary Agency, has this on P&E:
Not recommended. a literary agency. A writer reports she charges an upfront fee, but has sales with reputable publishers.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Thanks! :)
If Dave doesn't drop by to answer your question, go ahead and email him for the info. :)

Savvy

I realize you posted in May and it is now November, so I don't know if you're still interested in information, but I signed with the Kraas Agency about 6 months ago and have found them to be enthusiastic, helpful, communicative, professional, and positive. They haven't charged me a dime, but they did ask that I cover postage. Some agents do that in a bill; Kraas does it up front, that's all. I highly recommend them and they seem willing to really look at new people's work.

Patty Collier

Registered
Reaction score
Did you deal with Irene

Savvy said:
I realize you posted in May and it is now November, so I don't know if you're still interested in information, but I signed with the Kraas Agency about 6 months ago and have found them to be enthusiastic, helpful, communicative, professional, and positive. They haven't charged me a dime, but they did ask that I cover postage. Some agents do that in a bill; Kraas does it up front, that's all. I highly recommend them and they seem willing to really look at new people's work.

I am also interested in pursuing Kraas. I have had communications with Ms. Irene Kraas. I don't want to be presumptive and she may have no more than a passing interest. I originally ran P&E on the individual and got the agent with nothing negative only $ showing she does have actual book deals. After the contact I found the agency warning. I am interested in guidance on this matter. Again, she is not beating down my door but would like some insight... Thanks to all...

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Agents that charge up front are not recommended. Period. If they are established agents with legitimate sales, then you must decide whether the probability of them selling your book is high enough to justify subsidizing their capital expenses.

nygirl

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, I was wondering the same thing. I read this profile on her, at a conference she attended:

"In business since 1990, the Irene Krass Agency has launched many new authors in both young adult and adult fiction. Although the agency no longer takes on new authors in the young adult fiction area, Irene is especially looking for "big books" like medical thrillers, action adventure, psychological thrillers and the quirky, well-written mystery. She is also still interested in outstanding new voices in the area of literary fiction.

Irene recently made a couple of six-figure sales for a first time author as well as a major move for one of her well-established authors. Some of the clients she represents include Denise Vitola (Ty Merrick series - Berkley/Ace); Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (St. Germain Series -5 books -Warner Books); Bill Sibley (Any Kind of Luck - Kensington); Chandler McGrew (Cold Heart and Night Terror plus two more untitled- Bantam); Paula Paul (Alexandra Gladstone Series - 3 books- Berkley), Jon Merz. (The Fixer -four books - Kensington); and Noel-Anne Brennan -(Song of the Land - two books - Berkley/Ace)."

But I looked her up on Agentquery and she's not there, and there's scant information on the Web about her--even her address is a mystery (either NM or TX). In any case, Cao is right of course. Charging up front is a "no-no," even if it's for stamps.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro is a reasonably big name in the SF/F field

Monet

Registered
Reaction score
I think I read in Jeff Herman's Guide to Book Publishers, Editors, and Literary Agents 2007, that Ashley Kraas is only a consultant now. The Portland OR address was her address if I am not mistaken.

toby

I just signed with Irene Kraas and she has been absolutely professional. Hasn't asked for a penny up front. She sends the ms out via email. It has been a pleasure dealing with her. I'm not sure where the not recommended rating on P &E comes from but her sales and list of clients are impressive. Hope that helps.

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
with Irene Kraas. she's requested a partial from me. any updates, good, bad, indifferent?

I don't know much about her record as an agent, but I saw her at a conference and was impressed. Seems intelligent, savvy, and decisive. I thought she had an appealing personality and sense of humor, too.

For what it's worth,
kap

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
[Agent] Irene Krass

I was reading a slush pile submission for someone and the query referred to representation by Irene Krass. My first question was why is the author making the submission and not the agent? My second thought was to do a google and I found no website, but her name and address were on the same "Find an agent who won't diss you '[cause you're unpublished!" website.

Irene Krass Agency
507 NW 22nd Ave, suite 104, Portland, OR 97210 (503)721-7442
Irene Krass: Psychological thrillers, medical thrillers, mysteries, and literary fiction. Ashley Krass: Romance, women's fiction, historical fiction, non-fiction. Send a short cover letter and the first 50 pages on a completed manuscript. No query letters.

503 is actually a Portland area code, anyway.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any more information on Irene Kraas and her agency? I sent a query out last night in the middle of the night (letter and first 10 pages)...she replied fast...wants to see the next 10 pages. I sent out a bunch of email queries last night, she was the first to respond.

Is she worth it, is she reputable? Im not finding anything negative, but of those that posted in here that they signed with her...one had mentioned being with her 6 months, but didn't say anything about their book being sold. I don't want to sign with someone and be locked in and then nothing happens with the book.

Any advice? Thanks!

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
She's right here in my hometown. Not that it means anything, but there ain't too many agents up here in Portland. Sure would be cool to have an agent only 20 minutes away.

Of course, she also mentions on the submissions page she's mostly interested to writers who've already been published. I thought it'd be worth a shot, anyway.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
...Of course, she also mentions on the submissions page she's mostly interested to writers who've already been published. I thought it'd be worth a shot, anyway.

A lot of agents say something like that on their websites, but it normally doesn't mean they're closed to new stuff. Of course it's worth a shot!

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, it surprised me to hear from her so quickly. I had sent a query letter and 10 pages embedded in an email. she sent back a reply this morning asking for a further 10 pages as an attachment.....

We'll see what pans out. I've learned in this process of agent shopping not to hold my breath. lol

normantown

Registered
Reaction score
Has everyone who sent Kraas a query got the request for 10 additional pages?

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I met her at a conference a few years ago and she asked for my first 3 chapters. She responded favorably, but with a request for me to revise and resubmit. I didn't agree with the changes she asked for, but thanked her for her time. She's warm and gracious in person, and was polite and encouraging in her email correspondence with me. Her daughter is, or was, an agent and they were partners for a while. I wonder what happened to Ashley. Now I'm curious. I should google her to find out.

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
Just an update on Kraas Lit.
------------------------------------------------
http://www.kraasliteraryagency.com/events.htm
Submission Guidelines
The agency currently handles about 2% non-fiction and 98% fiction. Irene is now looking for FRESH psychological and medical thrillers, some literary fiction and young adult material. Please do not submit any "refurbished" plot lines (i.e. no DA VINCI CODE-like stories, no HARRY POTTER-esque fantasies).

The agency no longer handles adult fantasy, science fiction or romance of any kind. The agency is not interested in story lines that include the Mafia or government conspiracies , no personal growth stories or those with any drug or incest related material. The agency does not represent short stories, plays or poetry.

Currently, the agency is primarily interested in acquiring authors who are at present or have been published at a major publishing house. If this is you, please include the name of your book(s), the house, the editor and the year of publication(s) with your submission.

To submit, please email the first 10 pages of your completed manuscript to: [email protected]. These pages should be embedded within the text of the email, not sent as an attachment or refer the agency to an author website. Irene accepts simultaneous submissions, but does require a 2-3 weeks exclusive when she requests the entire manuscript.