Do you double space on a query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNHRAIDS

Hello again all! Here is yet another stupid question from a new, inexperienced writer:

Do you use double spacing on a query letter to an agent like you would for a MS?

When an agent asks for the first five pages of your manuscript, do you send in the first five pages of prologue, or Chapter 1?

If I could get an answer to these questions, I would greatly appreciate it. Again, I realize the questions are stupid, but I gotta learn by asking.

Thank you all so much!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Use single space for a business letter (which is what a query is), double spacing between paragraphs.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Single spacing.

And I'd send the first 5 pages of the prologue, because, after all, that's where your novel starts.
Yes, queries are business letters and should be formatted as such.

But actually, I'd send the first five pages -- that's what hopefully will hook the reader (or agent) into the story. Prologues can be a bit diffuse, and give no idea of what the actual narrative of the book sounds like.

(There's an old thread on AW where many people admit to skipping prologues altogether -- it would be pretty hard to hook an agent's interest with one, unless it's amazing in its own right.)

MNHRAIDS

Thank you all so much, this really helps me. I am going to post my query in SYW for critique next week. I'll take all the help I can get.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
In case it comes up later, you single-space a synopsis too, for the same reason that it's a business letter. ;)

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
In case it comes up later, you single-space a synopsis too, for the same reason that it's a business letter. ;)
Not necessarily. Different references recommend different spacing (Ref A). Most references say to double-space the synopsis, like a manuscript (Ref B, Ref C, Ref D). However, some say to single-space the synopsis (Ref E), or even space depending on length: single-spaced for a single page and double-spaced for longer synopses (Ref F).

Status
Not open for further replies.