Just Pointing Something Out to Mods or Admin (similar member usernames)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an interesting "something" that I'm not sure about.

I happened to notice that our newest member is Midnight Muse. At first I went, "Huh?" because I knew we already had a Midnight Muse and she's a friend of mine. It took me a moment to realize that the older member is MidnightMuse and the newer member is Midnight Muse.

I know sometimes members have names that are similar, but these two seem to be so close that it's bound to cause confusion. I'm sure the new member didn't mean to copy someone else's username, it's just one of those coincidences that happen.

I'm thinking that it would be better if the newer member's name was changed to something like "Midnight Muse 2" or something similar.

Or . . . maybe I should just shut up and enjoy the next thread where MidnightMuse and Midnight Muse are both posting. ;-)

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
So noted, tho' I suspect choice of avatars may prove invaluable! :)

-Derek

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting... Is there a way to set it so that you can't have simply a reformatted version of a username? It leads me to believe if a single space was all it took for the MidnightMuse and Midnight Muse, I could go register as anyone's name, with simply a space at the beginning or end? (Or are spaces there automatically cut off?) Either way, though... Spelling differences, cool... But simply a minor reformat? I'm not clever enough for that. I might end up sending my constant thinly veiled threats to the wrong people! ;)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, I really wasn't sure whether this was a problem or not. I just thought I'd point it out to those in charge and let them make a decision. I know I was taken aback for a moment, but I quickly figured it out.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I be Old Fashioned Girl? Wait, that doesn't sound right . . .

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
At least we're not as popular as AOL in its heyday, otherwise our latest member would be MidnightMuse72853. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.