Judges paid to send kids to jail

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Two Pennsylvania judges have for years sent children, many who had no lawyers, to juvvie detention in order to get kick back from the 'camps' that housed them. Many were guilty of very minor offenses. Others were probably innocent. They are now facing prison themselves. More here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29142654/

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I can't be the only one who got this image:

judgeturpin.jpg

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't that kidnapping, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, maybe even slave trade? Thousands of kids...Plea bargains to maybe only 7 years. If anyone should be made an example of, it's corrupt legal officials.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Oh, I thought it might be parents paying. For some of the kids I have in class, I'd pay to put them away.

But judges shouldn't be getting kick backs from the camps. That's a conflict of interest, to say the least. And not fair to the kids. Some kids really do just make a stupid mistake... though there are others who are little criminals.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
This is why private companies should NOT run jails. As soon as it becomes financialy profitable to incarcerate someone, then incarnceratons will become desireable for reasons having nothing to do with public good, only private interests.
Um, you want to run that one through the computer again, but remember the concept of asset forfeiture? Then again, do you really think nobody profits from government-run operations such as jails? How many corrupt sheriff movies have their been, anyway?

Accountability is the key. If there's no accountability, it doesn't matter who's at the wheel of the boat. Nobody has to go down with the ship anyway.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My state's first privately operated jail was opened in my hometown when I was a kid. A family member of mine worked there for the first few years. I heard some shocking stories. Corruption, abuse, coverups. Real criminals running the system sorta stuff.