Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Get this: I just went to go follow an agent's on twitter. I thought I already followed her, but when I clicked follow, it said that I was blocked from following her at the request of the user.

That's a preemptive rejection, and I wasn't even thinking of querying her.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not like she has to follow me. And I don't think I've ever been a jerk on Twitter or anything -- maybe I'm just blacklisted in general for my negative attitude.

ETA: This is really giving me the creeps.

Last edited:

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Kellion, too bad you don't write thrillers because this would be an awesome "innocent" beginning which leads to your MC's whole life falling apart/being wrongfully accused/etc. and he/she trying to make it right.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I love giving you hugs, Red. :e2arms:

I got a Q rejection (on Q +2 sample pages) today and I think I got Ink topped. Here's what the agent said (yes, it's personalized):

"I liked your intro to this story (great shocker at the end of the prologue!) – but sadly don’t feel the writing/crafting are quite there yet."

So yeah, Ink, your endings may be predictable, but my writing sucks. So there! :D

This is just ridiculous and imo, a tad vindictive. I'd burn that one in the fire, Steve.

Huh. Get this: I just went to go follow an agent's on twitter. I thought I already followed her, but when I clicked follow, it said that I was blocked from following her at the request of the user.

That's a preemptive rejection, and I wasn't even thinking of querying her.

Thats...weird. It has to be a mistake...unless, she knows your true identity, serial killer that you are. ;)

I've got nothing here. Just my tenth day in a row working.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I should clarify. This is another agent at my ex-agent's agency. I wasn't going to query her (I couldn't anyway) but I thought she was interesting and that the parting was sort of friendly.

I'm shocked that she's even aware that I exist, and this concerns me. I wonder if this is just your standard former client blacklisting, or if she believes I did something to warrant blacklisting. Did I?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not like she has to follow me. And I don't think I've ever been a jerk on Twitter or anything -- maybe I'm just blacklisted in general for my negative attitude.

Or it could be a Twitter weird. Twitter does stuff like that all by itself.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the foreign rights agent (who quit about a month before I left the agency) unfollowed me. He was an angry, obnoxious guy, so no real loss. Still, I was like, really? You're unfollowing me?

Good riddance.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I felt bad knowing my ex-agent, who for a brief time had thought I was really talented, now thinks my books will never sell. I feel even worse knowing that everyone in her highly respected agency also thinks I suck so bad that I am not even worthy of reading their tweets.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
(((Kellion)))

It does suck, and I'm sorry. Most are on Twitter for business--clients and editors--so if you're no longer a client, I guess they figure there's no point.

Still sucks.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm? The Pit is not allowing me to read Kellion's posts.

How bizahhh...

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
She has more than 8,000 followers, and I get singled out?

I'm been laid off from jobs before. I stayed in touch with my coworkers and even the person who laid me off. That's what people do in the normal world -- they maintain contact with people who are in the business because they may work with them or run into them again.

Wait, that's right, I'm not in the publishing business and she believes I never will be.

ETA: Ha! Vandal, you would be better off.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Steve))) Ugh. Just one person's opinion, and not a useful one at that.

(((Kellion))) I wouldn't worry about it. No wait, I would, but you probably shouldn't. I wasn't even aware that you could block individual people, so maybe it's nothing personal. Or maybe twitter is just acting funny. My tweet stream was messed up today. I couldn't even see my own tweets.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
You can set it so that you have to approve followers, and I think I had tried to follow her recently. So she must have blocked me, and then when i tried again, I got the message that I have been blocked from following her at her request.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
But if you blocked your tweets, you need to approve all followers (or not). Correct? And the person would have something designating that as so. If it's the agent I think you're talking about, she doesn't have her account set up that way.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
((kellion)) That would bother me too, not in an "OMG my writing career is over," way but in an "Oh sigh, there is even more suck in the world than I thought," way.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
{{kellion, steve and everyone else in this God forsaken hole}
Steve that R was a giving a little "too" much of that agent's opinion :(

Kellion that's crazy. I don't use Twitter, so I'm wondering is there an option to block specific groups of people from following you or does it have to be an individual thing that the agent would have to add you specifically? Sorry if this was answered above.

Funny these posts, I was looking at my facebook and noticed a lot of my ex 'co workers' deleted me. I didn't care for those particular people anyway to be honest, but there was still a feeling of 'really? you deleted me???'

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Did any of you read Debra Ginsberg's Blind Submission? I'm working my way through it now, and even with my limited experience in the publishing world, it rings all too true. A very Pit-like novel. *shudders*

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read it, lkp. Yikes -- I don't think I want to. Maybe if I get published, then I would be able to enjoy it.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of it LKP but sounds interesting....now a fiction book called "I want to torch this manuscript" heh, THAT would be super interesting ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.