Not open for further replies.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Ink, it was Red who characterized Hope as admiring the butterfly until you fall off a cliff.

And, yeah, tangible comments are great because they can lead to revisions but compliments although an ego boost reak of, "It's not you, it's me" in a break up.

Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. You know it, Ink. :D

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I think one of the worst things agents/editors can say is, "I'm sure you'll find the right person for this project." Oh, really? How sure are you?

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Ink was thinking about your pass yesterday. You know, you hear so much about 'oh I signed with so and so and then we revised for x length of time.' It makes me wonder if passes (like Ink's) where the agent says something about the ending etc...is that just an excuse? I mean such worded passes are there to justify WHY they're passing, right? But manuscripts are 'clay' not 'granite' in that they can be molded and shaped and re-molded again...so an ending that doesn't quite work can be re-written...I guess I'm just wondering why agents want to help some writers revise and re-revise while telling others 'oops! didn't like your ending, pass!)

Yeah I know, don't try to figure this business out, it makes no sense...

I think you were reading my mind with this post. I feel the same way. It does sometimes feel like an excuse, "The ending isn't x/y/z" so I'm going to pass. If the ending it the issue, then let's talk about it. Maybe I'm open to your ideas, changing it, etc. If you just didn't jive with the whole book that's find, but one part is a pass? Not even a revision. I don't get it.

THESE.

I honestly think it's a) an excuse and b) with the agent who just R'd me,
I really believe she wanted mss that were good to go, with very few revisions.

ETA: Maggotccino = WIN!

Last edited:

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
This is weird - I come into AW and the contest I read for is advertising. Bluecat fever is spreading!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Two form Rs in my inboxes this morning (one was for a proposal I did at work, but I wasn't expecting to win it and am rather glad I didn't). The other was from a good agent. Meh.

I try not to pimp my blog much, but I have a post up today that references chasing the butterfly/hope. Thought you guys might appreciate it.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful post, Ink. It's not what everyone wants to hear but it's what you've got.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Love the blog Ink and {{hugs}} Shit all these R's rolling in does NOT make me want to hop back on the query-go-round and I'm twenty pages away from finishing this draft :cry:

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Ink, that was a great blog post. You don't pimp out blog post, but I will. :D

Your post inspired me to write about Hope as well, with a shout out to your post, of course. Link

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Steve, great post as well!

Soul, I'm so sick of the query-go-round. But I've decided that I might as well keep tossing queries to the wind at this point. All my agent research gave me an amazing request rate out the starting gate, but didn't pan out. And tossing random queries to the universe worked for me last time, so what the hell.

Actually, tossing stuff out randomly has worked well for in many areas of life. A random/afterthought application is how I got into grad school too. How I ironic that my job title is "research associate."

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
It couldn't hurt to send out queries less specifically. Agents have lists, and they may love books like yours but not be able to rep you if they have other clients writing in the same genre.

You may find someone you think of us a paranormal agent is ready to branch out for the right book -- yours.

ETA: Why do I go on Twitter? It's like an endless refrain of "I'm awesome, you're awesome, we're all awesome, look who said I'm awesome."

Last edited:

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Once again I agree with Kellion, Ink. You've got nothing to lose and maybe something to gain from that approach. Personally, I have queried agents that weren't in my 'target group' and have been pleasantly surprised a number of times.

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Ink, tossing queries to the wind is my specialty. :D I've gotten requests from agents I didn't think would be interested. So long as there is a tangible reason to query them then go for it.

For example, Agent A doesn't list YA on the list of genres we see on QT, agentquery, etc., but you know that the agent reps a YA or has requested a YA project before (based on QT info perhaps) then query Agent A with your YA project. The worst that can happen is a no.

I'm somewhat in a similar situation, Ink, but I've deprogrammed myself of the angst. I made up a query list of about 160 agents that rep YA or who have requested my work in the past. I'm halfway through and have 3 fulls outstanding (don't feel good about the prospects of any of them, though). So starting the new year I've sent out 15 thous far and will be sending out 10 a week going through the remainder of my list. Yes, the odds of spurring interest with the bottom of my list is low (if I thought there was a good chance I would have queried them earlier), but I've committed to do it. That personal commitment trumps my anxiety and self doubt. I owe it to my self and the project to see it through to the end.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Why do I go on Twitter? It's like an endless refrain of "I'm awesome, you're awesome, we're all awesome, look who said I'm awesome."
Sadly, this is so true. Wading through all that awesome can be exhausting.

Steve, go you with your resolve!

Since I got it in my head yesterday that I want to turn a couple of my paranormal stories into contemps, I don't feel quite as apprehensive about random queries. Originally, I was determined to find an agent who would rep contemp and fantasy. Now, whatever.

(((Red))) Work on that MS because you're an amazing writer.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Red, if you can't query out of hope, query out of defiance. Take THAT query, agent!

Steve, you're my hero.

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
I love giving you hugs, Red. :e2arms:

I got a Q rejection (on Q +2 sample pages) today and I think I got Ink topped. Here's what the agent said (yes, it's personalized):

"I liked your intro to this story (great shocker at the end of the prologue!) – but sadly don’t feel the writing/crafting are quite there yet."

So yeah, Ink, your endings may be predictable, but my writing sucks. So there! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.