Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Okay I'll admit to being confused, is this a real place? if so Good luck, Red! (for real) if not and you're joking, Good luck and here's hoping you don't get the R I got when I tried to get a partner for drunken sex ;)

Last edited:

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Red.

On my own suckage, I hate conflicting advice. :(

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) Weigh the opinions, then go with your gut. It's the idea and pages are what counts, not a word here or there.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) Weigh the opinions, then go with your gut. It's the idea and pages are what counts, not a word here or there.

Thanks, K. Yeah, I'm getting the sense that query aside, the story itself isn't piquing the interest of agents. Business as usual.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
{{Cricket}} Not sure what advice you got, but I hate conflicting advice too. I agree with what Kellion said

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my gut feeling: (don't ask me how it got through all the tangled knots) Spiders don't bode well for queries.

So, being the masochist I am, I redid my query, for the 800th time, and removed the spiders. Feedback on my first five has been favorable. So I'll try this one.

Let the rejections begin. keep coming.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I think removing spiders from the query is a good thing to try. The anticipation of spiders freaks some (many) people --- who might love the delicious fright of them in the actual novel.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what LKP said-I had a spider in an old WIP, let's just say most people did NOT like it (poor little guy haha)

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{Cricket}}}

Are we using the term "spider" to stand for something else? If so, what is it?

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Cricket, if you need another pair of eyes to look at your query, just ask.

My Pit moment of the morning: am running on 4-5 hours of sleep after getting home from a business trip last night. Was told by coworkers I must be at work early to present at a meeting this morning. Got my sorry butt out of bed, went to work, and got stood up by coworkers who decided to have a breakfast meeting out and didn't tell me where. I'll be borrowing the hellhounds to sic on them.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
{{{Cricket}}}

Are we using the term "spider" to stand for something else? If so, what is it?

Oh.
I didn't think of that.
I just thought the spiders were spiders.
*is maybe dum*

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with spiders? I like spiders, but I guess if you're a Cricket, spiders aren't so good.

Seriously, Cricket, I think your query is good. Try the new one and keep at it.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
My story that just got passed up on was all about spiders. Now I know why it was R'd. Maybe if I change all spider references to "soft kittens with long whiskers" ...

(((cricket)))

(((ink))) I'd be so mad. Probably leave the hounds at home and do the dirty work myself.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Are you home yet, Ink? I hope so. Poor Ink.

Really, Madder? Spiders? Do people dislike spiders that much? What about Charlotte? Miss Spider? The Spiderwick Chronicles (is that about spiders? never read it -- I like longer books)?

Luckily, spiders are welcome in the Pit. They like maggots and they love the carrion flies that lay their eggs in the corpses of dead dreams.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) That seriously sucks.

Luckily, spiders are welcome in the Pit. They like maggots and they love the carrion flies that lay their eggs in the corpses of dead dreams.

:)

The spiders are symbolic...sort of. The antagonist is Aranea. (A human who is also part spider.) Her servants are these creepy, yellow-eyed spiders. (Small in size.)

However, this is a minor thread throughout the ms. It culminates at the end. The main thrust of the ms is that something was stolen from the Mercurial Mines. My MC embarks on solving the mystery: what was stolen, and by whom.

After reading this thread, I think it's probably a good thing to leave them out. I'm with you, Kellion. I like spiders...who knew?

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I went home a little early, but I actually had work to do at work so... Meh. The best part of the whole day? Coworkers apologized for not telling me where they were meeting, and added: "But we didn't discuss work after all, so you weren't actually needed." *headdesk*

I had no idea spiders were so unloved. They eat other nasty insects! How can anyone who hates insects also hate spiders?! It's unnatural.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I think spiders are cool. I love to watch them spin and to see them in their webs.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Once again, we Doomsters are out of touch with the taste of the reader public. Today EB White would be forced to turn Charlotte into a fluffy bunny to avoid squicking out spider-hating agents and editors.

Status
Not open for further replies.