Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
As for the, um, post above, I have many thoughts I no longer feel safe expressing here.

Sadly, this. While I understood the content of said post, the tone made me feel the urge to slink back into lurkdom. Which I really don't want to do. I'm generally shy, and it's taken some courage for me to put myself out there, participate more on the board. I felt comfortable in the Pit. Now? Not so much. *shrug*

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Macallister, of course it is your forum. You are in charge.

I strongly suggest that you rethink your policies and allow people to express ideas which you do not agree with.
<snip>

I came back mostly for the Pit, where I believed we were free to discuss anything we want, and because the Pit, as a philosophy, opely dislikes the "powers that shush."

Macallister, you might at least allow the Pit to be a place where people can freely say what they want. There are not many of us here.

Oh FFS -- try not to be quite so actively dishonest in your rhetorical framing of this exchange.

Lots of people on AW actively disagree with me on a regular basis. Hell, half the mods disagree with me on a regular basis.

What I said is you're not going use AW as a platform to bitch about AW and the mods who volunteer to work their asses off.

And you aren't.

Nor are you going to actively spread misinformation unchallenged.

And with that, we're going to simply part ways, Teriann, because you're clearly determined to use AW as a platform and a megaphone -- even while you trash-talk the people who make this place what it is.

That's not going to happen any more.

Last edited:

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Does that mean I'm getting banned?

I am not sure what misinformation I'm spreading, actually. Perhaps my interpretation of what happened on another thread? Of course, that's just my interpretation. It's there for people to read and decide for themselves.

Am I spreading misinformation about my views and experiences? Those are just my views and experiences.

Is my platform that I think Kris Rusch is brilliant and mostly right? Why is that harmful?

If I'm wrong, what's the big deal? People are wrong all the time.

If moderators express viewpoints, are those viewpoints always right? I respect the time the moderators spend, but does that mean I have to agree with all viewpoints expressed?

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
If you were getting banned, you wouldn't still be posting.

But any more backchannel bitching about the modding, and passive-aggressive, toxic and rhetorically dishonest re-framing of conversations happening in real time, and we can sure revisit that situation.

What I'd *like* is to see you flounce yourself right off to Kris Rusch's blog or KTaylor's chat room -- you've made how you feel about AW abundantly clear, and at this point, I find you unbelievably toxic and I'm flabbergasted you hang around and use our bandwidth at all.

So don't stay on my account.

Fly. Be free.
I came back mostly for the Pit, where I believed we were free to discuss anything we want, and because the Pit, as a philosophy, opely dislikes the "powers that shush."
What it does mean is that you cannot just say whatever you want about whoever you want, here in the Pit or anywhere else on AW -- and that's got me sadly suspecting that this thread has reached the end of its useful life, because my JOB is to be one of the "powers that shush" when it's needful.

I'll also point out that you and anyone else here are completely welcome to go and open your own forum or chat room -- I noticed a link upthread already for just that purpose.

But it's done, here.

There are some innocent bystanders, here, I know -- and I apologize to those of you caught by the blowback.

And for anyone who missed it: Here's is KTaylor's link to chat elsewhere, for anyone who doesn't "feel safe" here anymore.

Last edited:

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
For those of you who've taken the time to write me to express your concern and feelings about the turn this discussion took:

First, thank you for taking the time to write me and express your perspective. I do very deeply appreciate it.

Sometimes long-running social threads take a bad turn, but when they have a little time to cool off (and a couple of people flounce) they can be re-opened or re-started and do just fine. I know that happened with the Fangsters a few years ago, the Bordello periodically, and even OPWFT.

We'll give it a day or two and let the dust clear. Most probably what will happen is I'll PM a couple of Pit denizens and we'll start again, though -- I do recognize that the vast majority of what happens here is positive and supportive, albeit venting and gloomy from time to time.

Again, thank you.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
POST SCRIPT:

After some discussion with Pit regulars -- including the possibility of a new Pit thread with some more clearly defined boundaries -- the folks I'd been discussing it with, as it turns out, have declined the offer of a new thread.

The result, then, is that this thread will remain closed and not re-incarnate as something new, with better specified boundaries.

Thanks, folks. AW is a big place, and we wish the best to all of you whether that's on AW or elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.