Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting, kell. Powerless authors are waiting for powerless editors to make decisions they can't really make. Whoopee.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon Pit ((Teri)) get well soon :(

Wow Cricket, I bet you'd love to send a reply saying something like 'well I'm in paradise so piss off!'

Good luck Kellion!

Good article Kellion. It's a viceous cycle of depression...

BethMac

Saying the Serenity Prayer
Registered
Reaction score
*Plop*
Hi pitizens

I just dropped in to give a public service message. In the category of don't try this at home.

I sent three queries to quick responders on Monday to get some quick feedback. Well, it came. I got 3 rejects bam bam bam yesterday. UGH. that was dumb. Or very smart. Trying to get my courage up to send more. At least one was personal but it was an agent who requested material last time. Double UGH.

*Off to hide under the couch*

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
You are all hilarous. May the pit should collaborate on a publishing comic strip. I'll bet we could sell lots of copies of that.

lkp, I like your summary of Kell's article.

It's so true. If editors said "no" within a month, writers wouldn't feel angry. It would feel fair. Okay, I have an answer, now I can move on.

The growing number of editors not responding at all after a year really is absurd.

Is the tidal wave of author hate on the internet mostly JK and crew? Even if 7 million hits a year are mostly repeats, 7 million seems like a lot. I really have to learn how to use my twitter account. So far whenever I've tried it all seems like mish mash.

re: my pheumonia, this will be my second day on antibiotics. I anticipate a miracle recovery. remember I'm still the optimist.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Thanks for the link, Kell. Good article. This paragraph struck me about the "no response" aspect:

[T]heir failure to communicate, even to say no, really does anger authors. They hate it with a passion. Rightly so. They feel messed around and treated with contempt: at best some sort of cats paw to the editor’s career, to be kept in play just in case they might be making a mistake in turning it down and at worst like a talentless waste of space polluting the world with their trash: not even worth rejecting.

"... a talentless waste of space polluting the world with their trash ..." God, how I have felt like that so often over the years.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Kellion. I read that this morning. Nothing if not pittish.

Beth, sorry to see you here.

"... a talentless waste of space polluting the world with their trash ..." God, how I have felt like that so often over the years.
See, I usually just think of myself as an unappreciated genius. But I might need to get my ego in check. :D

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Bethmac))) "Welcome" back.

Steve, I think you hit on the nut graf there.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I've never read much of JK before because he just seemed so angry. Now he is striking me as hilarious. (Maybe it's my pneumonial fever). I went back to read some old posts and he wrote, "If you're waiting for a legacy deal so that a legacy publisher can make you a bestseller, you may as well run for Mayor of Deludedville.

The Mayor of Deludedville? I've never wanted to run for public office but maybe there's no need.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Deludedville must have a crappy a night life because everyone would think they could someone better and no one would hook up.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
And ALL the books published in Deludedville would be bestsellers.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
About having pneumonia.

Pnemonia was always the threat when I was a child. "If you don't put on shoes you'll catch your death of pneumonia!"

Then you actually get pneumonia and like anything else, you just go to the doctor for antibiotics. The only difference is that first they give you a chest x-ray and say, "Yes, it's pneumonia."

Maybe we should start another thread called 'deludedville,' which starts with the premise that pneumonia isn't so bad.

Last edited:

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
D's had pneumonia a few times and got it often before meeting me, so he used to say the quote on his headstone would be his last words: "Pneumonia isn't fatal."

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who died of pneumonia. He was 54.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I do think age has a lot to do with how serious it can be.

some years ago I got camphlobacter (don't know how to spell it) and the infection is so serious the hospital had to report it to the health department so they could figure out how I got it. After I recovered and went back to work, a colleague said, "The newspaper said there was a sudden outbreak of camphlobacter. Three people died."

Well, gee thanks. I needed to hear that. (the infection comes from bad water or diseased chicken. I think I got it from chicken in a restaurant. It was a long time until I would eat chicken again.)

Life in Deludedville: I remember recovering from that infection and thinking, 'I'm better now! I can stand up straight without feeling a sharp pain!" (I couldn't walk yet)

Adding: The reason I didn't die, I believe, is because I pushed back when the clinic kept saying, "It's just a flu. Call us if you're not better in 2 days." I KNEW it wasn't the flu, so I insisted on tests. Why there are more aggressive and asserted people in the world: The passive ones tend to die faster.

Last edited:

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, the Pit sure is depressing today. Business as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.