Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Tri, I've also got the first 2 chapters of all my books up on my sites. Do you do that too?

Yeah, I loaded up my Booksie site with about 30 partials and a bunch of articles. Don't know if that helped any, but my page views number in the thousands. I heard that doing that with Goodreads is a good way to go too, and you can also do it on your own website or blog (which I haven't yet).

The biggest factor for me has been listing prequel short stories on Amazon that tie into the book. Right after you finish your free trial (shorts), your book rank and sales get a rocketing uplift (like mine did today for example). My publisher automatically edits, formats and supplies the cover art, so that takes most of the work out of it for me. My second short will be up pretty soon. Thing of it is, the damn short stories, although meant to be sacrificial lambs, end up selling for $.99, at about a 1 to 4 ratio to the book.

My publisher suggested that I keep adding shorts, so we can "stagger" the price points on the book and fill up all the free trial slots--always linking back to the book. Then, sez he, after we have enough shorts, we compile them into a collection and put that up also! He sez we call it "PJ--The Early (Years) Missions."

His next suggestion, which I knew was coming, was "Feel like a real sequel? I think we can franchise this puppy."

Small press, ya just gotta love 'em! I do like my small pubber--he garnered university degrees in publishing, and then interned and became staff of a publishing company before he even thought about hanging out a shingle. So, I'm contemplating the offer. I'm just wondering what my agent would say about all this--she has four of my books out to the biggies. I suppose if I hit a NYC publisher deal, they'd delight in the fact that I've created a reader/fan base, and that could sway a decision. Frickin marketers.

I went from selling a couple dozen books a year to hundreds of copies just in the past four months. So, something's working here.

But I always fret that if I do get that big deal, I'll drop interest in my small pubber and crush his feelings. But I think he'd understand. There's nothing that says I couldn't handle both at the same time.

tri

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest factor for me has been listing prequel short stories on Amazon that tie into the book. Right after you finish your free trial (shorts), your book rank and sales get a rocketing uplift (like mine did today for example). My publisher automatically edits, formats and supplies the cover art, so that takes most of the work out of it for me. My second short will be up pretty soon. Thing of it is, the damn short stories, although meant to be sacrificial lambs, end up selling for $.99, at about a 1 to 4 ratio to the book.

tri

i think this is a great idea for adult fiction. I haven't tried it for the kidlit books because so few kids have ereaders at this point and they aren't spending their time on amazon if they do, but it has really helped my selfpub. I've also got the first two chapters of the book at the end of the novella.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
tri,
if you want more tips, try to tie your blog posts into some upcoming current news that relates to your stories as well. my post on Camp David trivia timed to the meeting at Camp David last weekend got me some sales of WR. I can tell by the rankings on Amazon and the fact that they ran out of the hardcovers for a few days. Anything space-related should help some of your books, right?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
((((roly))))

One other thing I've done is to contact bloggers to review. None of my books have ever been reviewed on blogs that I didn't pitch except for a couple of librarians and one kid at a bookstore. I went into this thinking there would be some publishing person doing that sort of job but if there was, it didn't do anything. I pitch the bloggers just like querying agents, the whole research, personalize the pitch and then include the book description. It's time-consuming but it's worked about 90% of the time.

eta: actually, that's not true, reviews of my self-pubbed book have started to turn up in the past few weeks. a couple of reviewers have emailed me links to them.

Last edited:

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin Pit, and also ((Pit))
Awesome news Kell!!!

Wow, so much to take in. I guess I thought if someone got published by one of the big 6 like Amarie, or a really good smaller house like Silver, things might not go 'smoothly' exactly but the writer wouldn't have such a hard go of things. Seems like no matter which avenue writers travel, they have a hard go, though!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I thought if someone got published by one of the big 6 like Amarie, or a really good smaller house like Silver, things might not go 'smoothly' exactly but the writer wouldn't have such a hard go of things. Seems like no matter which avenue writers travel, they have a hard go, though!

Ha! Yesterday I think it was Amarie who said there was no wrong way to be published. More likely, there is no RIGHT way.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
*just finished reading* Thanks for sharing your stories everyone, and for posting a link to your blog Silver (very good post!). You know what's scaring me now about publishing after listening to your stories? That once you are published, lots your time needs to be spent on some sort of promotion. Well, I know no one *needs* to promote their books, but many choose to. I'd still like to be published someday in some form or other (self pub/small press/whatever) but it seems like so much more is added to the mix (both good and bad) once someone is published, it's a lot to think about.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Mornin' Pit

{{{Roly}}}

Radio silence for me. Been 43 days on sub (not like I'm counting or anything). I have the 1st round sub list, which is good, but my agent and I agreed that he won't update me unless there's good news. I prefer it that way because I abuse myself enough in this process. I don't need extra abuse. The silence could be ominious or it could mean nothing since eds are still reading. I've heard that the MDW is a big reading weekend for eds (last long weekend before they start their "summer hours") so maybe there'll be some news afterward.

Anyway, I'm been putting off revisions on D, so I'll start those next week as well to keep my mind in proper order.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
(((Roly))) (((Steve)))

I'm still around the Pit. Waiting, waiting, waiting. I'm deep in writing the magic realism, but it also seems like I'm never home because of end-of-the-school-year running around. We have family coming to town this weekend. Eleven people in my house. Two guinea pigs. Two pugs. One very crazy black lab. I'm already reaching for the migraine meds.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
(((Roly))) (((Silver))) (((Mrs. B))) (((Red))) (((Pit))). Sounds like it's been one of those weeks...

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Roly))) (((MrsB)))

Steve, may you hear good news soon. I'll distract the hellhounds...
shark-attack-smiley.gif

Going to be
offline-smiley.gif
Saturday - Wednesday. Mr. Snappy and I are going to Nashville for our anniversary. I shudder to think what Tennessee folks will think of two New Yorkers, but glad to get away for a bit.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
*pet* *pet* *pet* My poor Pitizens.

Nice that you're getting some time away, Snaps.

I think for me the small press thing is just the sheer difficulty of figuring out what the fuck* to do promotion wise. I mean, really, I'm not very outgoing. I'm this cynical, misanthropic creature with a computer, and precisely what should I be doing to sell my book? Flarg.

*Right, make that cynical, misanthropic, foul-mouthed creature.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Have a great trip Snappy and happy anniversary!

Steve good plan. all you can do now is work on the next project (and try not to pull out your hair)

Bryn have you considered guest blogging? (don't kill me) or offering at local book stores/libraries to do an author visit? Humm...probably tacky but what about making up small posters advertising your book and posting them on community bulletin boards /library boards etc complete with info on how people can buy if they are interested? Or you could try the twitter/facebook route for a little while?

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score

I think for me the small press thing is just the sheer difficulty of figuring out what the fuck* to do promotion wise. I mean, really, I'm not very outgoing. I'm this cynical, misanthropic creature with a computer, and precisely what should I be doing to sell my book? Flarg.

Red, you wouldn't know it from my twitter feed- BUT I AM TOO. I have to put on a persona- it feels icky sometimes, but sometimes I LOVE hanging with new readers...also if you can bring yourself to do it- use Tweet Adder. I think it's like $49 for life and you can follow people on twitter based on all kinds of search terms, even people who follow a particular person. I used YA authors like me and I have over 4,000 followers now- a lot of which have bought my book.
(((steve))) waiting is the devil, but 43 days is not very long (hate to say that) but its true as well all know- why we put ourselves through this, i'll never know...
thanks for the hugs- this whole thing is murder on the pysche on any side of the publishing coin.
(((pit))))

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com

Yeah, this times ten plus. I have to look for new avenues lest I wear out my welcome someplace. I do find a lot of review bloggers on Book Blogs, though.

(((Roly)))

tri

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Pit)))

Steve, keeping on working on something new is the only way I've found to keep (relatively) sane.

Happy anniversary, Snappy!

And happy uterine expulsion day, Silver!

Status
Not open for further replies.