Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Vacation, Pit-style:

I'm going to Chicago for a long weekend with my sisters and a friend. One sister is paying for the hotel, other sister is paying for all the food, friend is paying for the train tickets. I am paying nothing, because I have exactly $14 to my name until payday next Friday. On the one hand: free vacation! On the Pit hand: how fucking sad is that to be going on a cool trip and have a couple of crumpled bills in your purse as your only spending money?

Sounds like you'll be super busy, but would still love to meet you, if you have time, especially if you come to the south side. In any case, have an extremely non-Pit worthy time --- you deserve it.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Sounds like you'll be super busy, but would still love to meet you, if you have time, especially if you come to the south side. In any case, have an extremely non-Pit worthy time --- you deserve it.

I have no clue what we have planned beyond Rammstein on Friday night and I think there was talk of the zoo on Saturday. Otherwise, yay! Yes, let's meet up. I'll rep you phone, email, etc.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Snappy)))

Red, it sounds like the sort of vacation that you can one day look back on and say "that was an adventure." This being the Pit, you can choose how to interpret that.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Vacation, Pit-style:

I'm going to Chicago for a long weekend with my sisters and a friend. One sister is paying for the hotel, other sister is paying for all the food, friend is paying for the train tickets. I am paying nothing, because I have exactly $14 to my name until payday next Friday. On the one hand: free vacation! On the Pit hand: how fucking sad is that to be going on a cool trip and have a couple of crumpled bills in your purse as your only spending money?

And the problem is? :D

Heh, yeah, I've seen that lone dollar bill glaring up at me, all too often. But try to enjoy...you'll do the same for them, someday.

Got my copy of L@st W!ill today! Will prolly read in Hawaii.

And, in Pittish news, I'm the sh!tt!est aunt on the planet. My nephew's seventh b-day was today. I called when I got home, which was 8:30 my time, 10:30 Chicago time, hoping on the off-chance my nephew might still be up. My sister told me he'd been in bed for 2 hours already, but what she was saying behind those words were, "You clueless, childless nitwit. Children are in bed by 9:00, no matter what." :( Duh, I figured, but it was worth a try.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin' Pit.

(((Cricket))) My son is 4 and sometimes (despite being put to bed at 8pm) is still up at 10:30, so don't feel bad.

(((Snappy)))

(((Pit)))

Madder, it is nice to see you!

Red and lkp, jealous of your potential meetup! I ordered L@st W!ll today and can't wait to read it. Also, (((Red))) for the travels with low spending $$. Been there too. My favorite experience with this was winding up in Memphis on a road trip with my BFF and only about $10 left between the 2 of us. We spent that remaining money on a very terrible bottle of tequila and stood outside all the bars and listened to the music anyway.

Went and had my foot x-rayed on Tues. Complete fracture and it extends into the joint. That can't be good. Waiting to hear from the Ortho people. Ugh.

On the not negative side, the college radio station is doing a C0unt1ng Cr0ws marathon today. It makes me happy. Though, I'm sure for some 18 hours of this is the pits ;)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Octavia))) Ack.

Soul, a bazillion probably STILL would not get the message to these people. GAH!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Octavia))) Ouch!

(((Cricket))) I'm frequently a bad aunt and bad with birthdays. My whole family is bad with birthdays though.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
((Snappy))
((Octavia)) Broke my ankle once. It sucked. I wish you a quick recovery.
((Cricket)) It truly is the thought that counts. I'm a mom and an aunt, and I know sometimes my sister and I just get so busy that we forget. It's okay.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Octavia)))

Today feels like Friday since I worked all day Sunday. Therefore, I declare today to be Friday, and it's time to start passing out the maggotinis.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Maggotinis on me
jeeves-smiley.gif

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the maggotini! May I have another?

Ugh, one of those days when I feel like every decision I've made about careers (including my fiction(al) career) is wrong.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Kellion))) *passed double maggotini*

Funny enough, I just got a full request...on a query to an agent...from October 2010. Um, think she's a little late. LOL.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
The last book I wrote was rushed and came from a spur-of-the-moment idea. It was a short YA distopian. I didn't find anything remotely attractive about it after I'd finished. It had a great premise and title going for it--that was all I thought it had going for it. I was much prouder of the four previous books, and the detail, multiple viewpoints, lavish descriptions, diverse characters and unique concepts.

I only sent out the distopian as a lark to only two publishers. Just to see if anybody gave it a snappy salute. The first publisher gave me a R&R on the full, telling me they were pulled instantly into the story, and they'd like me to clean it up a bit.

The second publisher said that the editorial board loved it and sent it to the final round judges, as it was definitely a contender for first place in the contest. The contest offers an advance and publication.

What the hell just happened here? The book I thought nothing of has just come out of the starting gate a few strides ahead of the pack. My other books are kinda getting the finger, and by that, I mean dozens upon dozens of rejections.

It just goes to show me that I'm the WORST judge of my own work and have NO clue as to what is perceived good-great, and what is considered mediocre or bland.

I'll never, in a million years, figure out this mysterious industry. Every time I think I have it figured out, publishing flips me bass-ackwards and head over heals in the opposite direction, reminding me that I don't know shite about anything.

Tri--dazed, confused, bewildered and bedazzled. :Shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.