Not open for further replies.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Yep, Hester & Snappy, those buggers are big and fast. Whenever a water bug hits something after the lights go on there's always a loud bang.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
Where I am, the waterbugs all come out at night around the pool area and surrounding sidewalk. So every night I walk the dog we have to dodge them.

The last place I lived had an attached garage, so they'd all come into the kitchen and living room at night. I was living alone with the baby, so it was up to me to kill them. Let's just say, they don't smush easily. I'd bat them with a rolled up magazine, scream, run away, do it again. It was a continuous nightmare.

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
LOL, Soul. That's 1 contest I didn't want to win.

The Palmetto Bug is no joke. I learned about them when I lived down South. They look very similar to the female NYC Water Bug, which is actually the Oriental Cockroach, the main difference is that the Palmetto Bug can fly. The small cochroaches we see in houses is the German Cockroach while the huge ones in commercial buildings and subways is the American Cockroach.

/useless bug info

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
The first time I saw a palmetto bug scuttling inside a kitchen drawer, I thought it was a fucking mouse. Until I went to kill it and it flew away. (It's possible I may have called my then-husband, who was on duty at the base, to scream, "There are flying MICE in this state, you son of a bitch!")

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Red and Cat! :roll:

Ugh Steve isn't that always the way? the one contest you DON'T want to win and you won it hands down

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
The Palmetto Bug is no joke. I learned about them when I lived down South. They look very similar to the female NYC Water Bug, which is actually the Oriental Cockroach, the main difference is that the Palmetto Bug can fly. The small cochroaches we see in houses is the German Cockroach while the huge ones in commercial buildings and subways is the American Cockroach.

I don't discriminate by ethnicity when it comes to cockroaches. I hate them all equally.

I have the day off, which I used by going back to traffic court and now being stuck in the house because my four-year-old has an illness which requires proximity to the toilet and clean underwear. (That's showing, not telling.) Oh well, it's still better than work.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
LMAO. Seriously, the only thing worse than a water bug is a FLYING water bug aka the palmettos. ICK!

Got back from the doctor. Turns out my thyroid is enlarged and she's sending me for a slew of blood tests. Joy. I'm actually hoping - as is the doc - that it's a thyroid issue and can be knocked out with some meds.

Also, got an R on a full from one of the big 6 editors today. Ah well. At least it's Friday.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Snappy))) I hope you get a quick resolution with the thyroid issue. Hugs for the R.

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{Snappy}}}[SUP]2[/SUP] Good thing you got it checked out. The Force will be with you, always.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes, I am definitely glad I went to the doctor. Now, to nip it in the butt.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
{{kelli}} My son was home sick yesterday, too. Ugh.

{{Snappy}} Boo for R, but yay that you have a diagnosis. Usually the drs say, "All your tests came back normal. It must be stress. Here's a prescription for Prozac."

I'm sitting here with a baby opossum on my lap. Found it outside, lying on the cement. It's got fur, but is no bigger than 4". Animal control says to bring it in, but they can't guarantee they won't put it to sleep. Anyone got any suggestions?

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
((Kellion))
((Snappy)) my hubz is on thyroid medication (his whole family is) it made a world of difference for him
((Cat))

What you took in a wild (even if it a baby) opossum?? Is it just laying there in your lap? Will animal control come and take it away? Can you drop it off at the aspca?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Now, to nip it in the butt.

Well, the Hellhounds are pretty good at that.

Cat, if there are no other wild animal rescues around, take it in. You are a kind-hearted person, but I think you would have a hard time raising an opossum in a house full of cats. (An erstwhile AWer has a MG book about that though.)

(((Catwoman and baby possum))))

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
After I fed it some water with a dropper, it got some energy and started bobbing around, so it was not as young as I thought.

Diva Chihuahua was barking at the neighbor's shed yesterday, so I crawled on the ground to look under it with a flashlight and sure enough, there was Mama sleeping with what looked like another baby. I nudged the little guy under there and he went to her, crawling all over her. She didn't budge, but was breathing, so hopefully they'll do the happy reunion thing and he won't wander out again.

He really was so cute I wanted to poke him in the eye and pull his little tail!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Cat! You did a good thing. And really, an incredibly brave thing, getting that close to a mama possum. You're a superhero for sure!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Jeeze, Cricket, how many times are you going to be attacked by animals? It's like a Hitchcock movie.

I actually laughed out loud when I read this--a rarity for me.

I got a bug story too. I was 11ish and brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I filled the cup with water to rinse out my mouth and thought one of my braces got knocked loose inside my mouth because I felt something prickly on my tongue.

I spit out a roach and scream with disgust. I gulp down hot water, which burns my tongue, but I don't care. Use mouth wash, toothpaste, whatever, to clean my mouth. If I had bleech near me I would have drank that too.

That is beyond disgusting. I'd be scarred for life.

Got back from the doctor. Turns out my thyroid is enlarged and she's sending me for a slew of blood tests. Joy. I'm actually hoping - as is the doc - that it's a thyroid issue and can be knocked out with some meds.

So glad there might be an answer waiting, Snappy.

Also, got an R on a full from one of the big 6 editors today. Ah well. At least it's Friday.

Boo for passes. No fun, even on a Friday.

{{{Kellion}}} {{{Kellion's kiddo}}} No fun.

{{kelli}} My son was home sick yesterday, too. Ugh.

{{Snappy}} Boo for R, but yay that you have a diagnosis. Usually the drs say, "All your tests came back normal. It must be stress. Here's a prescription for Prozac."

Ha! I love it when doctors say, "Are you stressed?" I mean, who isn't stressed???

I'm sitting here with a baby opossum on my lap. Found it outside, lying on the cement. It's got fur, but is no bigger than 4". Animal control says to bring it in, but they can't guarantee they won't put it to sleep. Anyone got any suggestions?

Yay for Opossum Reunion 2012! Do you think she'll take him back? Cat, I swear, your place should be named, "Cat's home for wayward animals." :)

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
*yawns, rubs eyes, crawls out from under couch*

Did someone mention bugs? And did someone get peed on? Soul, was that you? It's like music lulling me out of my hibernation catatonic trance.

Okay, a bug story and then I'll stick around for awhile. I miss this smelly, buggy-infested place, and all the sweet, grimacing faces that take up residence here.

While Steve definitely wins with his story. One of mine: The roaches in Japan are freaking HUGE and like Steve said, FLY. Oh, and worse, they're smarter than crap. So in our old house I found a monster in the kitchen and smacked it pretty good with a magazine. It was down. It was dead. Or so I thought. I went for the paper towels, came back and it had disappeared. I looked everywhere, but figured it had crawled off some place to die. I was all alone in the house and it was late. We had just gotten the Internet. So I turned off all the lights and started playing around on the computer.

*Zzwoooshi* *Zzwooshh*

It sounds like a bat is flying around the room but it's too dark to see. Just when it occurs to me this could be the roach, *ThwaP!* It lands in my hair! I screamed. I peed my pants.

Oh, and then there's the one that landed on my cooking steaks.

Ah, I miss this place and all of you.

(((((Pit)))))

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys.
Snappy, just popping in to say that spiders in dreams are considered good luck and usually also indicate creativity.
So, your dream = good luck in a creative endevour!

Here's my cockroach story.
One early morning, I boiled the kettle and make myself a cuppa and drank it. Then, just before leaving the house, I thought, I should really fill the kettle for my hubster. So I took the lid off and was about to refill under the tap, when I noticed a 'boiled' cockroach floating around in the water.
Yep, I had myself a nice hot cup of cockroach juice for breakfast. *still shudders and dry heaves thinking about it*

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I had myself a nice hot cup of cockroach juice for breakfast. *still shudders and dry heaves thinking about it*

It's all good. You probably boiled out the bacteria but not the protein BWAHAHA

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Madder!!! *glomp* So glad to see you!

{{{JBuck}}} Ew!

A pass on a full today, sans notes. Way to ruin my weekend, agent. *sigh*

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Cricket, *glomp back atcha* (and thanks for the gentle coaxing ;) )
Sending a well-aimed finger at the agent/editor who passed.

Yes, ingesting the beasts is the worst. JBuck, yuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.