Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
(((Mrs. B))) But at least the turtle got out alive :)

((Amarie)) Oh dear. Yes, spiders, I can't play with. But you can't help dreaming what you dream.

((KT, Teri, Filigree)) Rs, Waiting and Life in general seems to suck more than it should :(

((Ink)) But glad your agent likes what you're up to writing wise. Revisions are a bitch, but once you're done you can break out the maggotini...or dare I say a real martini? Do those exist? I can't even remember anymore.

I finally went to bed at a reasonable hour and got the sleep I've so sorely needed this past week. I want to get as much writing done as possible these next few days. I've been working on these revisions for so long, but I keep going back and changing things, writing-wise, so it seems like it'll never end. I'm just paranoid that my writing maybe ISN'T strong enough. I just don't want to give anyone an easy excuse to give me an R, but at the same time I'm anxious to get back out there with a new ms. Still, there are logistical things I'm having a hard time figuring out. This really sucks.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Been a few days, so I'm playing catch up.

(((Mrs. B))) but yay for turtle rescue!

(((Mr. Amarie))), (((Roly))), (((Ink))) but yay on revisions (I think).

(((AO))) I feel your ABNA-related pain--my review from PW basically said that my book was predictable...needless to say, I didn't advance...

So now I'm working on something new--problem is, I've done a few "starter" drafts, and each time I reach a certain point I want to go back and start over. Doing my best not to let myself slide this time round--I want to complete a first draft, even if it's completely convoluted and plot-heavy and makes no sense whatsoever...

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Pit))) Too many of us, so group hugging.

I have the bug story to end all bug stories...

When I had my first apartment at 17, it was a 18 x 15' studio room in the basement of a house in Brooklyn. The neighborhood - unfortunately - had a problem with waterbugs. Google if you don't know what those hideous creatures look like.

As I was sleeping, I suddenly felt a tingle across my neck. In my half-asleep state I clawed at my neck, sat up and... woke up with my arm outstretched, hand open like I'm about to catch a baseball, and one of the mundo bugs crawling on the floor! The thing had been crawling on my neck as I slept!!!! EWW!!!

Ugh. I still get chills thinking about it.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Mrs. B))) Oh, that is so pittish about the turtle.

(((Amarie and Mr. Amarie))) I did once wake up and discover a spider dangling just inches above my face. Let me tell you, it works far better than cold water at making you fully, quickly alert.

(((Roly))) Your writing is definitely good enough, but doubts suck. Good luck with revisions.

Hester, ugh. I've done that before. It's hard but you can plow through the urge. Good luck.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a Migraine of Doom for either four or five days of the last week. I lost track of days. My agent had words for my WIP that are too shiny for the Pit, but that's countered by not much ability to write due to previously mentioned exploding head. Also, I saved a rather Pit-worthy creature yesterday. A turtle was heading into a busy road, so I pulled over to move him back to the creek. He hissed his indignation at me, but I moved him anyway. When I got back into my car, the fuel light was on and I was late for my doctor's appointment. Then the gas station pump was broken, and I was even later for my appointment. My appointment ran long, and I was late picking up from son from preschool, which meant he was in hysterics.

{{Mrs}} Sorry, but your recount made me laugh out loud. I've had those days and then some...

(((((Mrs. B)))))

I nominate Mr. Amarie as an honorary member of the Pit for the day. I was having a very vivid dream last night that there was a giant spider coming down from the ceiling right over his head and I woke up not realizing it was a dream. I grabbed him and said "Don't move" and then was jumping around trying to get the spider away. At this point, when there was no spider, I realized it was a dream. I went back to sleep, but Mr. Amarie, who hates, hates, hates spiders, stayed awake not really believing i could have such a realistic dream, thinking there might be a spider lurking above him-he should know better after all this years!

I have this cartoon image in my mind of you sleeping soundly finally, and your hubby sitting up in bed with the covers around his neck, with large scared eyes!

When I had my first apartment at 17, it was a 18 x 15' studio room in the basement of a house in Brooklyn. The neighborhood - unfortunately - had a problem with waterbugs. Google if you don't know what those hideous creatures look like.

As I was sleeping, I suddenly felt a tingle across my neck. In my half-asleep state I clawed at my neck, sat up and... woke up with my arm outstretched, hand open like I'm about to catch a baseball, and one of the mundo bugs crawling on the floor! The thing had been crawling on my neck as I slept!!!! EWW!!!

I know those waterbugs well. I stepped on one in bare feet once. It made a really loud crunch. I share your pain!

{{Roly}}

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Ick snappy! Water bugs look too much like roaches to me! YUCK! and *shudder* Cat at you stepping on one with a bare foot!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
They are big and hideous! Bleh.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
(((Pit))) Too many of us, so group hugging.

And here I thought googling "degloving" would be the worst thing I would see this week.

Might I say though, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! AAAAAAAAH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I have no fear of spiders, even though I got a serious enough bite last year to need a antibiotics. Maybe because of Charlotte. :) My son HATES spiders, so I tell him we LOVE spiders because they catch ants and flies. Doesn't work. He hates them. Nobody is allowed to kill them, though. We put them outside. (Maybe that only happens when I'm around.)

Roachs and ants, I find disgusting, particularly in large numbers.

I grew up loving frogs, lizards, and salamanders. I moved to a new school in 5th grade and didn't have enough sense not to say, "frogs" when asked my favorite animal. It took me a long time to get over the label of "weird."

Well maybe I never did.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Teri I loathe bugs. But I also particularly hate ants. I think it's the R@id commercial 'if you see one that means there are thousands' that got to me. YUCK! And I HATE house flies. DISGUSTING. I hate the idea of them landing on a turd, flying around and landing on my food. And the whole vomiting on food / pooping every however many seconds seriously squicks me out!

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
There were waterbugs in the first house I lived in. I ate a lot of breakfast on the kitchen counter as a 7 and younger child.

Eeep! *hop* "MOMMMYYYYY!!"

"What? What?"

"Bug."

That frequently happened at 6am on a Saturday.

Roaches are nasty - why, why, why would something live 6 days without a head?!!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
They seriously are, Steve. So freaky.

I posted upstairs, but wanted to give you all some sunshine, if you can stand the rays. On the blog is a recap with pics and a video of howling from my trip to the Wolf Conservation Center. Wolves are the descendants of our own hellhounds, no? ;)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful, Snappy.

I thought the crickets in my mailbox were bad enough. Now I have to worry about waterbugs.

Leigh, you won't trick me into Googling. Nope, I won't do it!

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful, Snappy.

I thought the crickets in my mailbox were bad enough. Now I have to worry about waterbugs.

Leigh, you won't trick me into Googling. Nope, I won't do it!
Probably wise. I let my curiosity get the best of me. Although, I now have a new way to torture people in my books. So.... there is that....

Also, also, my very first party I have ever thrown as a party and not some "let's watch anime/play video games/D&D" thing and no one showed up. Except my ex, who had no choice since I was his ride to and back.
1377260_o.gif

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1377260_o.gif

Last edited:

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Leigh))) Throwing a party is an act of bravery. That's really crummy.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Teri}}}

{{{Filigree}}} Waiting sucks, no two ways about it.

Great pix, Snappy!

{{{Mrs. B}}} But :ROFL: for the ungrateful turtle.

{{{Mr. Amarie}}}

{{{Leigh}}} How crappy. I'm scared to throw parties for the same reason.

Roly, it's tough, but don't send your manuscript out prematurely. You'll regret it later.

My waterbug story:

Sleeping. I feel something in my hair, so I swat it, go back to sleep, thinking I'm imagining things. A couple minutes later, I feel it again and jump out of bed and turn on the light.
Hubs, not yet my hubs, yells for having bright light turned on in middle of the night. After my whimpering, he looks about. Nada.
Turns out light. Several minutes later, clickety clack across my head. This time I scream, leap out of bed, and turn the light on, demanding we do a search.
Hubs grumbles, prolly swears several times under his breath.
We look around, can't find anything.
I suggest we pull the bed away from the wall.
We do so.
Perched horizontally, at the head of the mattress, feelers waving the air, is the largest waterbug I've ever seen.
Hubs: "Holy shit. He's fucking huge."

THWAP.

To add insult to injury, a mere two weeks later I was sitting outside, reading and sipping homemade lemonade, when a waterbug fell from the eaves on to my head.

Something about my hair, I guess. Needless to say, to this day, I'm officially traumatized.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
So awesome Snappy!

((Leigh)) that massively sucks. FWIW a 'let's watch anime/play video games' party would totally RULE in my books (though I know you were shooting for a regular party).

Cricket EEWW EEWW EEWW!!! YUCK! I wonder why insects insist on annoying us. Can't they find something else to do?

More bug stories - I lived in an apartment infested with ants. Every summer we had to lock the food up or watch it go walking out the door! I set my lemonade down next to my bed one day for about 2 minutes and when I looked over again there were three huge ass ants swimming around in it :( Another time ('cause apparently I hadn't learned my lesson) I got a doughnut and against my better judgement, I set it on my night stand (Still in the bag) to eat later. Well about a half hour later I take it out of the bag and start to eat...just to find an ant sitting in the middle (in the hole part). I was sooo pissed it got to my snack before I did!

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Mornin', Pit

{{{Leigh}}}

Jeeze, Cricket, how many times are you going to be attacked by animals? It's like a Hitchcock movie.

I got a bug story too. I was 11ish and brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I filled the cup with water to rinse out my mouth and thought one of my braces got knocked loose inside my mouth because I felt something prickly on my tongue.

I spit out a roach and scream with disgust. I gulp down hot water, which burns my tongue, but I don't care. Use mouth wash, toothpaste, whatever, to clean my mouth. If I had bleech near me I would have drank that too.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
What kills me about waterbugs (besides their utter disgustingness) is that they're fast. You wouldn't expect something that big to move that quickly, but they have that roachy trick of flattening themselves and running at a hundred miles an hour, usually towards your bare feet...

I once dropped a dictionary on one. Webters Unabridged. Made a hell of a mess.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
They look pretty similar to roaches, so that's really all you need to know.

Yes, except they're on steroids! And yes, those buggers are fast. When you turn on the light, they scurry. B@stards.

(((Leigh))) Party throwing is a brave act indeed.

(((Pit))) for all the bug stories. And per our bug conversation, I had a dream last night that a spider - which didn't look like a spider, more like a moving pebble - was trying to burrow into my back. I kept calling up doctors to have the thing removed, and when nothing worked, my grandmother tried to burn it off me! Okay, have fun analyzing that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.