Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Purgatory's Pit of Doom

A cat may not look at a king kellion92's Avatar
    (((Cricket))) The personal part in your QR was a reflection of how much she likes the premise. The rejection part is about how the market is a mess. We didn't choose this market, but you are doing OK.

More hugs to the whole pit.

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine ink wench's Avatar
    (((Pit))) Hang in there, everyone. The weekend approaches.*

*For those who get a weekend, which won't be me because I have to be up at 3 a.m. on Sunday to fly to a meeting that lasts through Tuesday.
    W1cked M1sery (Samhain) - October 2013

An0ther L1ttle P1ece 0f My Heart
    (Harlequin Teen)- December 2013

Twitter * Website

Sorry about the lack of weekend, Ink.

I can't wish for the weekend because that will mean my work deadlines are closer and I probably won't have done what I need to. But at least I'm pretty much done my book revision so now I can work at night when the kids are asleep. Yay?

Bright lights induce scuttling soulcascade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post

I'm on my third cup of coffee...trying to decide whether novels (or specifically romances) are written in a 3-act structure.

Any thoughts?

Sigh. Why do we do things we know will make us feel bad?
    Cat I say write what you feel like, how you feel like writing it. We get bombarded with these 'rules of writing' and you know what? Lots of published books don't follow 'em. I've started feeling like the only rule is that there are no rules /cliche

And on making ourselves feel bad, 'cause it's a pre-req for being a writer

Good Lord! (((((AO))))) yes my darling you are certainly having a pittish time

Quote Originally Posted by mario_c View Post
    People sure do have a big mouth when they're not accountable, do they?
    This.

Grr, Mario I remember you telling us about HOP telling you to quit. A$$holes! Why would anyone say that to someone (well, to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down, I think.) If you hate the individual book, FINE, say 'not my cuppa' and move on. We've all done that with many published books. But to tell someone to quit writing? Not cool.

Also How the F#*K does working retail make you a 'loser'? Nope. Don't believe it. With that attitude, may many a waitress / cook spit in her food.

Quote Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
    How funny -- you just described my dad in all those women: 1. Treated me like dirt 2. Never shuts up about his other kids who can do no wrong, and 3. Told me I was a loser for working retail (Actually, I believe his words to me were "A monkey can work retail.") So, anyhoo...
    ((((Cat)))) being the black sheep sucks. And sorry, but I can't help myself. I said it before but I'll say it again. I think your dad is an a$$hole!

"We are not hacks, monkeys, or losers." <- Kellion you rock! This shall be the new battle cry of the pit!

*snort* figures Tri. You're the bum right up until you loan them money...but once the transaction is complete you go right back to being the bum in their eyes. Ingrates.

OOH Awesome Happy Happy Red!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to read!!!
    *hound growls and bites Soul on the ass* OUCH! It was worth it!!

YUCK @ 3 am! ((Ink)) Aw hell ((((Pit)))) it's a war zone down here!

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin' SteveCordero's Avatar
    Mornin', Pit

{{{Cricket}}}

{{{DVI}}}

{{{Cat}}}
    Last edited by SteveCordero; 04-26-2012 at 02:26 AM.

A three act structure sounds like something you discover you've done after you've finished writing, rather than something you plan to do.

This may also be the moment when I say that if my literature classes in high school had been structured around the ways writers are taught to write (ie. by things like the Gotham Writer's Workshop or even at AW, ie by attention to story, plot, characters, opening chapter, story arc, character arcs etc) rather than by some imagining of the way readers should read (imagery, similes, authorial intent, message, themes etc) I would have learned so, so much more about fiction, both reading it and writing it.

{{{Cat}}} {{{lkp}}} {{{Mario}}} {{{Octavia}}} for the exes, I've been there. The pain was brutal when I was going through it, but I can say that in the end I'm better off.

Basically, a series of bad events transformed my life 21 yrs ago and if I didn't go through that I wouldn't have all the good things in my life I have now.

[QUOTE=SteveCordero;7222219

Basically, a series of bad events transformed my life 21 yrs ago and if I didn't go through that I wouldn't have all the good things in my life I have now.[/QUOTE]

Seems like by the time I get to the good things, I'll be too old to enjoy them!

{{Cricket}} Sounds like you're getting slammed with the Rs.

{{Tri}} When you're on the bestseller list selling a million copies, you'll see how their attitude changes.

{{Inkie}} No sane person should be up at 3am, unless they haven't gone to bed yet.

A new year, a new avatar Snappy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kellion92 View Post
    We are not hacks, monkeys, or losers.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedScylla View Post
    Are we allowed to have an aspirational quote for the Pit? If so, I vote for this. Seriously, we have been dealt some tough blows, but we are none of the above.
    +1 Let us ask our overlord. Oh Overlord, would you add to Pit Lexicon?

And I think a big ole (((Pit))) is in order for exes, broken toes, crap ANONYMOUS (that should say it all) reviewers, sleepless and working weekends, and hell anything else that is Pittish.
    ~ Just Snappy

lkp, preach it! Nothing killed my love of reading more than high school English class. It didn't help that English was my worst subject, either.

Poor agent is still down and out with the pox, but she got back to me about my questions. She likes my ideas and so I'm a go to work on this outline. Blergh.

Twitter * Website

Quote Originally Posted by ink wench View Post
    She likes my ideas and so I'm a go to work on this outline. Blergh.
    READY! SET! BLERGH!

I'll add "We are not hacks, monkeys, or losers." to the Lexicon by popular demand.

Muted yay, DVI

At the publishing party, whacking the piņata
    Blergh like you've never blerghed before, Inky!
    ~RedScylla

Celebrate the holidays with some fine seasonal smut.

A Kiss from Krampus: tinyurl.com/kissfromkrampus

A Kiss from Krampus, now in paperback!! tinyurl.com/krampusamzpprbk

I haven't been around much. I've been writing.

Q: What do you do when you have a children's historical novel sitting on editor's desks but not getting bought?

A: Write another one, of course.

because the world cannot have too many unpublished novels.

Go, Ink!

I completely agree about how English is taught. Even creative writing. I taught my first CW class the way I had been taught, breaking down plot, character, etc and talking about each. After I finished (took about 4 class periods) a student raised her hand and said, "But how do we write one?"

I guess the honest answer would be, "Who the heck knows?"

Two query R's but nothing else.
    Last edited by Teriann; 04-26-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriann View Post
    because the world cannot have too many unpublished novels.

I so agree!

I completely agree about how English is taught. Even creative writing. I taught my first CW class the way I had been taught, breaking down plot, character, etc and talking about each. After I finished (took about 4 class periods) a student raised her hand and said, "But how do we write one?"

I guess the honest answer would be, "Who the heck knows?"

Each novel to me feels like I'm writing a first one. So uncomfortable, full of doubt, slow...

{{Teri}}

Hugs to Teri on the query Rs. They are annoying even if impersonal. I suppose they are annoying because they are impersonal. We are persons! (not hacks, monkeys or losers)

Interesting discussion on the teaching of writing. I was a creative writing major for awhile and I don't think we learned mechanics. But we did approach texts way differently than the English majors did.

Gnawing my hairless tail Cricket18's Avatar
    (((Pit))) Hang in there, everyone. The weekend approaches.*

*For those who get a weekend, which won't be me because I have to be up at 3 a.m. on Sunday to fly to a meeting that lasts through Tuesday.
    {{{Ink}}} Egads. That is wrong in so many ways....

Sorry about the lack of weekend, Ink.

I can't wish for the weekend because that will mean my work deadlines are closer and I probably won't have done what I need to. But at least I'm pretty much done my book revision so now I can work at night when the kids are asleep. Yay?
    Big yay for finished revisions!!!

She likes my ideas and so I'm a go to work on this outline. Blergh.
    More yays, for Ink!

READY! SET! BLERGH!
    This and this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriann View Post
    {{{Teri}}}

T-minus 2 hours and 59 minutes until Thursday.

I learned more solid tips about writing in my tech writing classes than in my single creative writing class. Mostly, I learned by reading and writing. It took way too long to get anywhere marketable.

I'm waiting on one market to get its act together and either reject me or send my short story higher into the reading chain. I'm torn between sim-subbing the story, or nudging the first market. I already emailed them in early March, and they said 'early April'. It's nearly May. In a couple more weeks, I won't have time for short fiction, so I need to get this story out while I can.

Blarg.

(((Teri)))

Filligree, ugh. The waiting sucks.

I don't doubt this will be the case.

Twitter * Website

practical experience, FTW MrsBrommers's Avatar
    Morning, Pit.

Ink, glad the agent liked the idea.

((to all those in need))

I've had a Migraine of Doom for either four or five days of the last week. I lost track of days. My agent had words for my WIP that are too shiny for the Pit, but that's countered by not much ability to write due to previously mentioned exploding head. Also, I saved a rather Pit-worthy creature yesterday. A turtle was heading into a busy road, so I pulled over to move him back to the creek. He hissed his indignation at me, but I moved him anyway. When I got back into my car, the fuel light was on and I was late for my doctor's appointment. Then the gas station pump was broken, and I was even later for my appointment. My appointment ran long, and I was late picking up from son from preschool, which meant he was in hysterics.
    A MURDER OF MAGPIES (YA Gothic; coming September 2014 from Month9Books)
    YA Gothic Murder Mystery/Horror: 30/70K
    YA Gothic Horror (rewrite hell per editorial feedback)
    Magical realism (off with awesome agent)

http://www.sarah-bromley.com
    http://www.twitter.com/Sarah_Bromley
    http://www.facebook.com/authorsarahbromley

(((((Mrs. B)))))

I nominate Mr. Amarie as an honorary member of the Pit for the day. I was having a very vivid dream last night that there was a giant spider coming down from the ceiling right over his head and I woke up not realizing it was a dream. I grabbed him and said "Don't move" and then was jumping around trying to get the spider away. At this point, when there was no spider, I realized it was a dream. I went back to sleep, but Mr. Amarie, who hates, hates, hates spiders, stayed awake not really believing i could have such a realistic dream, thinking there might be a spider lurking above him-he should know better after all this years!

I'd be with Mr. Amarie. Don't fake me out when it comes to spiders. I'll be paranoid all day.

(((Mrs. B)))

Been a Pit kinda week. (Well, a Pit kinda life since 2002, but..)

Bright lights induce scuttling soulcascade's Avatar
    (((Pit))) 'cause we all need a group hug!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBrommers View Post
    A turtle was heading into a busy road, so I pulled over to move him back to the creek. He hissed his indignation at me,
    s.
    Sorry but OMG that's hilarious! You try to save him and he's pissed!

Sorry the rest of your day went shittily though. I think Kellion said it best - no good deed goes unpunished

Quote Originally Posted by Amarie View Post

I nominate Mr. Amarie as an honorary member of the Pit for the day. I was having a very vivid dream last night that there was a giant spider coming down from the ceiling right over his head and I woke up not realizing it was a dream. I grabbed him and said "Don't move" and then was jumping around trying to get the spider away. At this point, when there was no spider, I realized it was a dream. I went back to sleep, but Mr. Amarie, who hates, hates, hates spiders, stayed awake not really believing i could have such a realistic dream, thinking there might be a spider lurking above him-he should know better after all this years!
    *shudder* creepy crawlies I rememeber staying in a hotel once. There was this big nasty spider I tried to squash but it got away. Didn't I have a dream it was dangling over my head just out of reach? I half woke up yelling and swatting at it. Freaked my hotel-mate (was at a work conference) out.

((Mr. Amarie))

Mornin', Pit

{{{Teri}}}

{{{Mrs. B}}}

{{{Mr. Amarie}}}
    Last edited by SteveCordero; 04-26-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Mrs. Brommers, what a crummy day. Happy for your agent feedback, sorry for the migraine, sorry for the ungrateful turtle, and upset child.

Poor Mr. Amarie.

Page 639 of 700 FirstFirst ... 139389539564589614629633634635636637638639640641642643644645649664689 ... LastLast