Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is just sick of seeing the writing conference ad with JR's quote about how the conference has a history of "getting people published." Oh really? Is that how people get published? I thought they wrote books and sold them.

Silly girl. Real authors go with Tate Publishing.

Hey, ads don't lie!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. I'm skeptical about conferences and agents, but if queries work, you shouldn't have to go to a conference to get an agent. Or do agents not read queries seriously? Wait, don't answer that.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Red is indeed a silly girl. She doesn't know that getting published is as easy as signing up for a conference and writing a check -- what better proof than an endorsement by JR, who couldn't possibly have any self-serving motives?

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Cat, seriously look at having your name taken off.

It cost D's dad over $500 just for the tax, on top of all the other hassles since the person stopped making payments. I'm not trying to scare you and do hope your people can be trusted, but even good people have financial problems and you just can't know when it'll happen. This stuff gets serious when it goes belly up.

So now they have approval and have the car and all that, talk to them about removing your name and protect yourself. They could "buy" you out of your share and then get it all changed with the pink slip and registration.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Flyby posting. Off to Boston and the oncologist this morning. Alone. *sobs* No Mr. Wench to keep me company, and I have a lot of time to kill between when my bus gets in and the appointment. I have to enjoy the beautiful weather by myself. Will check in later.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
DVI, enjoy the weather and a book. You're a wide-eyed ingenue on a train trip to the big city on a beautiful April morning, not a grownup schlepping to the oncologist.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Mornin', Pit

{{{Cat}}}

DVI, may the Force be with you

LOL, Red, I was thinking the same

LOL, Cricket. Missed your post, but the deletion note made me laugh

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) (((Red))) (((Snappy))) (((Pit))).

So I'm in the c$p^d's l^t connection ag%nt invasion (did I do that google-confusion thing right?), and I have the dubious distinction of not receiving any bids. I keep hearing Darth Vader saying..."the trunk...it is your destiny..."

Sigh.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is just sick of seeing the writing conference ad with JR's quote about how the conference has a history of "getting people published." Oh really? Is that how people get published? I thought they wrote books and sold them.

Silly girl. Real authors go with Tate Publishing.

Hey, ads don't lie!

Red is indeed a silly girl. She doesn't know that getting published is as easy as signing up for a conference and writing a check -- what better proof than an endorsement by JR, who couldn't possibly have any self-serving motives?

:ROFL:

(((Ink))) For appt, but enjoy the beautiful weather.

(((Hester)))

It's Tuesday. Yeah, that's it.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
May the force be with you, Ink.

(((hester))) I really love your entry, I think it is a great concept. Sorry you aren't getting more agent interest over there.

Also, I'm sorry I missed Cricket's bitter post. I've moved beyond bitter to a level of indifference (it is a very sad place).

My new freelance gig is great, but I have zero time for writing now. I need to find a babysitter soon. I'm drowning in work and have no time to waste online. It is either one or the other, isn't it? When I have lots of free time to write the words won't come, but when I have no time the ideas are spilling out of my brain.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) (((Red))) (((Snappy))) (((Pit))).

So I'm in the c$p^d's l^t connection ag%nt invasion (did I do that google-confusion thing right?), and I have the dubious distinction of not receiving any bids. I keep hearing Darth Vader saying..."the trunk...it is your destiny..."

Sigh.

Hester, did you get any comments?

I'd look at the agents who are participating. Do they represent what you write?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Hester, I don't know much about the contest (your google confusion confused me) but hugs. You're very brave either way.

AO, isn't it always that way? Rep me about your gig! Congrats again, even if it's not turning into the extra writing time you thought. Hopefully when you have a sitter, you will be able to squeeze some of your own writing in.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Hester, I don't know much about the contest (your google confusion confused me) but hugs. You're very brave either way.

LOL! That's what I was thinking. I don't know if Google is confused, but I am. How does the contest work?

AO, that is always the way. The more you have to do, the more active your brain is. Just try to take notes when you can, I guess.

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{Hester}}}

And, LOL, I was G00gle confused as well.

Wasn't it Soul who broke the cardinal rule of codeing in using different symbols for the same letter and we were all like, WTF are you trying to tell us? LOL

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Awww, thanks guys! You're the best :).

Sorry for the google-confusion :). It's cupid's lit connection--which, incidentally, is holding another contest in May if anyone's interested.

Amarie, repped you :).

Last edited:

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I think we should vote to ask Cricket to repost. I would like to know what is too bitter for the pit.

This is probably too shiny for the pit but I post it because I have an affinity for all things subversive: Kobo is apparently following Amazon's lead now and introducing a self-publishing platform soon and calling this the "year of the author."

Speaking of subversive, I am now reading Danny the Champion of the World to my son. I wonder what a publisher today would say to get that book from an unknown writer. To call it outrageous is an understatement. Danny lives in a trailer with his father who is a mechanic and a filling station owner, and Danny considers himself the luckiest boy in the world -- particularly when he and his father set out to poach hundreds of birds from the evil rich man who owns all the birds.

Oh, and how about this: The doctor who treats the father's leg after the father gets injured poaching birds is also a poacher. His method of poaching trout: You tickle the fish under the belly. It lulls them to sleep and you grab them.

It tells you something about me that I've been reading books to my son since he was born and I haven't enjoyed a single book more than this one.

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Teri Guevara puts me to shame again. I read DC Superheroes, Transformers, and Spider-man books to my son.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Teri Guevara puts me to shame again. I read DC Superheroes, Transformers, and Spider-man books to my son.

The heroes in your favorite books would be trying to put the heroes in my favorite book in jail.:)

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
The heroes in your favorite books would be trying to put the heroes in my favorite book in jail.:)

Well, that fits your dynamic!

Hester, I think you're so brave. I've hosted contests and participated in a few, but the ones where agent comments and interest are public require a lot of guts. I think you have to keep in mind who's participating, as Amarie said, and remember how bidding wars work. When one agent bids, another will. If the agents can see that no one is bidding, they think twice. It's about their psychology, not your work.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
lol Steve and teri

{{Inkie}}

{{hester}}

{{ao}}

The only reason I signed for my friend was because he really helped me out when my roof was leaking during those terrential downpours 2 xmas ago. It was a GUILT signing. He has no credit, so once he's paid for a year, they can take my name off the contract and he will have established credit, as well as helping mine.

So one would think that would help my car karma, but noooo. I dropped my son off at school today, so happy because hey, it's school finally, and I'm in the "line" to get out of there (anyone with kids knows the freakin line and how hellish it is) and I get rear-ended by a woman who just dropped her kid off to kindergarten for the first time, so she was looking back, and not forward.

I get out. I'm in my pjs, glasses on, no purse, no coffee yet, diva Chihuahua barking like crazy, ALL the drivers having to pass us, and I'm like, F*ck it. It's scratches, no dents...nothin some white-out can't fix. She's crying, saying how sorry she is, and all I can think of is how much I need a cup of coffee, and how easy it might be for me, my son and the diva to hide inside of Cricket's luggage when she does finally get to go to Hawaii!

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Remember my lawsuit? My lawyer got the case dismissed from federal court. So now they will refile in state court, so I will get my name in the newspapers again, which is not the kind of fame I desire. Initially they had me confused with a government lawyer. Now they think I was the trial attorney in an adoption case. I have never been a trial attorney in an adoption case. Of course, the newspaper prints the allegations, and everyone thinks allegations are true . . . Teriann the bad guy.

ETA: Oh, Cat -- I was writing and didn't see your post. That is the pits if ever there were pits.

Last edited:

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cat))) Sneaking into someone's luggage sounds pretty good right about now...

And kell, thanks so much for the kind words--dare I say that I love the Pit???

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
And speaking of things Pittish--we had a bee in the house the other night. It was a big bee. Huge. Think those genetically modified beasts from "Hunger Games." Anyway, my son starts chasing it around to get it out of the house, screaming things like "it's coming this way!" or "it's gonna sting me!" (logic does not play a strong role in our household).

Anyway. It decides to pollinate one of our old toothbrushes before dramatically dropping dead on the bathroom floor. No clue what was on the toothbrush...

Status
Not open for further replies.