Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's a picture book. Like I any chance of getting repped for that anyway! So I sent two queries and that's it, and now I'm kicking myself for even trying.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Don't kick yourself! That's what the hellhounds are for.

:D

Dare I say, I think you have a good chance of getting repped. *hides*

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Ow! I have a muddy paw-shaped footprint on my behind. At least I hope it's muddy...

I could get repped for a book, but not a picture book. I just had some delusions for a minute, and that's all it took to send the query.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in waiting land too. Editor has had ms. of previously trunked novel since Thursday. Why haven't I heard anything yet?

I guess I'm not so good at this waiting thing any more...

And agent said something about "London Book Fair" and now I'm not sure if she meant she will be away, or editor, or both but in any case, that adds more waiting time. But, hey, I'm going to be in NYC tomorrow for a meeting and the Byz-Islam exhibit at the Met so that will be good.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Pitizens.

In truly pittish fashion was helping another writer with her query and opening pages then... Query came out great, she sent it off and got a partial request. So, then I helped with her synopsis. She sent off the partial and synopsis....and rejection in 12 hours. *Sigh*

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Pitizens.

In truly pittish fashion was helping another writer with her query and opening pages then... Query came out great, she sent it off and got a partial request. So, then I helped with her synopsis. She sent off the partial and synopsis....and rejection in 12 hours. *Sigh*

at least you did what you could, and I'm sure it wasn't the synopsis that was the cause of the rejection.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Snappy, you helped. We shouldn't beat ourselves up over our own rejections, much less those of others!

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
((Cricket)) agreed. It's always one excuse or the other it seems. I don't buy the 'too similar' excuse with so many knock offs of various books floating around out there.

((Kellion)) Boo on the R's

((Snappy and her friend)) though I must confess I am impressed with that agent's response time. I've STILL got fulls out there that agents just aren't going to bother responding to.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
whine
I'm incredibly crabby today. It's been beautiful here, very green, spring flowers everywhere, perfect weather for once. And this is the second week I'm trapped inside. The pollen is everywhere, like a lethal dust, and has triggered major asthma problems for me. Bleh. And my poor older kiddo, the worrier, has taken to checking on me every little bit he's home, because no matter how much I tell him I'll live, he's convinced he's going to have to call 911.
/whine

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{Amarie}}} That sucks

{{{Kell}}}

{{{Snappy's Friend}}} Tell her our motto in response to R's "FU, I'm not done yet!"

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
at least you did what you could, and I'm sure it wasn't the synopsis that was the cause of the rejection.

Snappy, you helped. We shouldn't beat ourselves up over our own rejections, much less those of others!

True. True. Yeah, I guess it's not a good sign if I'm upset over other people's Rs, huh? Funny enough, she had the good onward and upward attitude. And I was like, damn!

(((Amarie)))

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((lkp))) Waiting sucks.

(((Amarie)))

(((Snappy and friend))) Hard enough taking your own Rs personally, try not to take others' too!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Does Tree Ink mean that DVI is feeling positive, or trying to make herself feel positive? Or is it a sign of spring, like the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano?

Lkp, you were waiting hopelessly for so long you forgot how much harder it is to wait with hope. Watch where you're going -- gutterflies are tricky!

One of my fulls has been out for four weeks and one for five. I am filled with dread -- any minute now, those Rs will come. Must get more irons and put them in other fires! Where can I get irons?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an interesting pub. story I heard last night at our chapter SCBWI meeting. A new member was there. She signed with an agent about 4 years ago for a YA manuscript, a thriller. The agent (a well-known one) couldn't sell it. The writer wrote three more manuscripts that the agent wasn't crazy about, then wrote a fourth one the agent loved. the manuscript went out on submission in the first round, got one offer, but the agent told her it was ridiculously low and not to take it when they wouldn't come up. The writer reluctantly agreed to pass. It took six more months for the manuscript to sell, but it sold well, and the agent also held onto lots of foreign rights and has since sold it in the U.K, France, Germany and Spain.

I also think that because everyone now wants YA thrillers, it's likely her first manuscript will sell. What struck me is how hard it would have been to turn down that first offer after all that effort, and I probably wouldn't have stuck with that agent after she didn't like so many of the other manuscripts. In fact I know I wouldn't, but it's a good thing the woman did. You just never know. It's amazing how many convoluted paths to publication there are.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Amarie, that is interesting. I wouldn't have stuck with that agent either. BUT isn't it possible that had the writer left, another agent would have sold one of those other three manuscripts? Or certainly would have taken on the thriller that sold?

I'm sure she feels it worked out perfectly and that she was right to wait, but was she?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
So the agent couldn't sell the first one, wouldn't submit the second, third and fourth, then wanted to reject an offer on a fifth novel because she didn't think it was high enough? Yeah, I'd be out of there.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Amarie, that is interesting. I wouldn't have stuck with that agent either. BUT isn't it possible that had the writer left, another agent would have sold one of those other three manuscripts? Or certainly would have taken on the thriller that sold?

I'm sure she feels it worked out perfectly and that she was right to wait, but was she?

I know, it's one of those impossible questions. I'm glad it worked out for her, but those must have been bad years before it did.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
You can never know these things, but it's not a great idea to trust one person for so many years. I think the writer is giving her agent too much credit for the outcome. Leaving the money for that one book on the table turned out to be a good call. Not submitting the other books? Who knows, but this book selling was not conditioned on the other books being shelved unsubmitted.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Kell, you're right about the unsubmitted books. That was something I didn't realize about agents back in my ignorant days. I just thought they submitted everything you wrote.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Good that it worked out, but each book is an independent event so that was a big roll of the dice. But now since the 5th sold, there is greater potential that the others would too.

Status
Not open for further replies.