Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Tri, well done on getting notes back. Is that the "Development Hell" ring of Purgatory you're seeing? :) It's like our VIP room...

Filigree, sorry to hear about the lawsuit. Yes, definitely PM Ms. Stone if the suit stemmed from posting on AW, she'll want to know about it and can probably suggest something (not legal advice, you need a lawyer for that...)

And hi, Pitizens!

Last edited:

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
*waves at Mario*

OK, bedtime now. It's always bad to stay up late on Sunday but I didn't get enough weekend!!!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Filigree}}} Yikes. Yes, talk to Mac asap. And let us know the outcome. Looks like I need to be more careful when I post--who knew?

Great news, Tri! I'm astounded you've never had a beta. I'd be lost without mine. I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to read.

:hi:Mario!

I think there are agents out there who take on very few clients, do major editorial, and submit. Then there are agents who take on 10-20 new clients per year because for them it's a numbers game--throw it all out there and see what sticks. The one's that do will get preferential treatment. For the one's that don't, the writer will be ignored.

Each agent is different and that's why I have a problem with blanket statements, and hence, that a model either works or it doesn't. Each situation is unique, in my very humble opinion. :)

Drove home from Vegas in the worst storm of the year. Why couldn't I have been home editing? Bleh.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Each agent is different and that's why I have a problem with blanket statements, and hence, that a model either works or it doesn't. Each situation is unique, in my very humble opinion

This is so very true. No two agents are alike, in just about anything specific that they do. I'll wager many of them have processes that are almost individually ritualistic, and they follow a set routine that has worked for them in the past and continues to work. Some might be more experimental (mass submissions--wall-stickers), at the other end of the spectrum. Then you have variations of all those in between. It's a real Heinz Variety out there, just as no two publishers are really alike, aside from the obvious things they do.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
You know I'm not sure what a blanket statement is. :) (I mean, as opposed to any other kind of statement. )

"Each agent is different" is certainly true, but doesn't tell you much.

Besides, "each agent is different" also a blanket statement, isn't it?

"The business interests of agents and writers do not always converge" is a debatable statement which may or may not be true (so it seems to me.). Actually, I think I'm giving Cricket headaches again. Sorry Cricket!

I just watched Bullets over Broadway. I liked it the first time I saw it. This time, not so much. It felt like a one joke movie.

Last edited:

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Well, it isn't quite that I don't trust agents, but I sure haven't had one sell a book for me in the past 23 years, and I've had three very reputable, successful agents and nine manuscripts that hammered on doors. So I adopted the idea that I would help with some research and cover subs to the smaller houses that pay advances.

As a result of my research and reports to my agents, I've made five sales for stablelmates over the years. Just one example, I had one very good agent that didn't know who Prometheus was--when I tipped the agent off, she/he made a huge advance sale for a client--a friend of mine.

I just love getting involved in the process. If I find a publisher who I think is spot on, and my agent doesn't have them on his/her list, ping! I send the information. I've always had agents write back and thank me profusely for the tips and directions. That's just the way I roll. The trick is, if you are on the submission highways along with your agent, don't cause a car crash on down the line. I've been very close, but lucky so far.

Sounds like you'd be a good agent for this niche.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Filigree))) No advice left to add, but good luck.

Tri, yay on the R&R!

(((Cricket)))

At work on a Monday - haven't done this in a while. I'd better get paid for it.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Well, enjoy possibly getting paid, Ink. That does stink though.

I'm back to a normal schedule this week.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
(((Steve))) (((Filigree))) (((Tri))) but congrats on the R & R!

I'm puzzled by the lawsuit against Filigree-if you're only expressing an opinion, how can you be sued? Inquiring minds...

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Pit.
I've been AWOL for a few weeks --- visiting my sister out of the country and travelling to a conference. Actually, I'm going to be away 3 of the next 4 weekends... Hope I survive.

I'm feeling fairly pittish this morning. Remember how long ago I sent my revised ms. the editor wanted to see? Yeah, me neither. She wrote on the weekend that she was almost finished, and promised to be done by Monday, and also to tell me then (now) whether we should send it to the editor. What if she says we shouldn't send it? Emboldened by the Pit, I am considering sending it anyway...

And in general I just woke up with a bad pittitude this morning.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Lkp, you should insist on sending it. If she does not, send it anyway.

Crap, my boss has been kind of ignoring me because she was working on other stuff. Now she woke up and is doing her usual thing -- reactively changing project scope now that it's almost done.

The thing is, I have decided not to take the full time job and she thinks I'm still pursuing it. Will tell her after her big meeting today and not before because I'm nice.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling fairly pittish this morning. Remember how long ago I sent my revised ms. the editor wanted to see? Yeah, me neither. She wrote on the weekend that she was almost finished, and promised to be done by Monday, and also to tell me then (now) whether we should send it to the editor. What if she says we shouldn't send it? Emboldened by the Pit, I am considering sending it anyway...

And in general I just woke up with a bad pittitude this morning.

I agree with Kellion, of course. I hope she calls you and says, "It's wonderful and I sent it," so you don't have to make any hard decisions.

But it's worth thinking about what may be wrong with that sentence. She is going to decide whether we should send it?" At least it seems to me that there may be a few things wrong with it.

I'd wondered what had happened to you.

Last edited:

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you'd be a good agent for this niche.

Haha -- That's exactly what I was thinking!

{{Fili}} What happened to Freedom of Speech?

{{Cricket}} Ugh -- was up all night listening to that damn rain, thinking my roof was going to start leaking at any moment.

{{Lkp}}

{{Kelli}}

Steve -- Any news yet on your ms?

Okay guys, I posted my cover on my blog for those who want to check it out. Feel free to tell me if you hate it. I won't cry. At least not right away...
It's on singlewritermomrants...

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Hey, Mario

Quick update: heard back, no real news yet because there's stuff I have to digest. Will keep you posted.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
You know what, Catwoman? If a cover is supposed to grab attention and cause a person to look at it for a long time, this cover does that. The viewer may be scratching her head, but she's looking. For a long time.

I didn't get that they were salsa dancing, but I would have thought the cover image was a metaphor for a relationship which was both contorted and playful and zany and puzzling and tenuously balanced.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
You know I'm not sure what a blanket statement is. :) (I mean, as opposed to any other kind of statement. )

"Each agent is different" is certainly true, but doesn't tell you much.

Besides, "each agent is different" also a blanket statement, isn't it?

A blanket statement is "all or nothing." ie- all agents suck. No one needs an agent. That kind of thing.

I think trying to decipher an agent's motives is like trying to decipher anyone's motives....they're individual. How much money they need to make, etc. I can be more specific if you'd like, but I think most people get the gist. ;)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Fili))) Really??? That's ridiculous. Hope it all works out.

(((Cricket))) (((LKP))) (((Steve)))

Tri, yay for R&R.

ETA: Cat, the cover looks like the tango to me. It is definitely an attention grabber, so that's a good thing.

I heard back from my agent. And... she loved it. *breathes sigh of relief* Had some good feedback and questions that I am trying to digest. Need to come up with a plan to tackle blank spots in the MS.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
A blanket statement is "all or nothing." ie- all agents suck. No one needs an agent. That kind of thing.

I think trying to decipher an agent's motives is like trying to decipher anyone's motives....they're individual. How much money they need to make, etc. I can be more specific if you'd like, but I think most people get the gist. ;)

Keep in mind I have never said nobody needs an agent or that all agents suck. Nobody is trying decipher a particular agent's motives. I would never say that because (1) obviously some people need agents and because (2) obviously some people have had very good experiences.

Last edited:

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I was not directing my comments at anyone, Teri. I was merely stating that trying to decipher how much an agent needs to make, and thus how many clients he needs, at what percentage, is sort of a lesson in futility.

:)

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Cat, it's cute! I could tell they were dancing, but I think I already knew it.

ETA: Great news, Snappy!!!!!

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I was not directing my comments at anyone, Teri. I was merely stating that trying to decipher how much an agent needs to make, and thus how many clients he needs, at what percentage, is sort of a lesson in futility.

:)

In doing the math of hours and dollars, I was pointing out that perhaps certain expectations were not realistic.

Perhaps it is not reasonable to expect agents to put hundreds of hours into projects for which they will earn only a few dollars per hour.

Perhaps it is not reasonable to expect an agent to (1) read a manuscript multiple times (2) edit the manuscript (3) submit the manuscript repeatedly until it sells -- which will take hundreds of hours -- when they will not be paid more than a few hundred bucks.

Obviously there are agents willing to spend months revising a manuscript, and more than a year submitting for relatively small advances. It just seems to me they won't stay in business long, and questioning how long an agent may stay in business might be smart if you're going to let them collect all your money for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.