Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
That terribly incompetent bit speaks to me. My brain is hurting from trying to figure out how to write what I want to write. Pretty sure this story is going to die halfway through.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
The telegram is so anguished.

Funny that just yesterday I was reading about Dorothy Parker. Evidently, the copyrights for her works are in a mess.

Someone asked her to use horticulture in a sentence, and she came back quickly with, 'you can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think.'

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
<3 Dorothy Parker so hard :). Some of her short stories could have been written for the Pit...

Yay for Craperella and purty tattoos!

Well, I didn't place in the M$FV contest, but that's okay-it turned out that I'd already queried the agent with the same manuscript and he'd rejected it, so a turnaround wasn't likely...

As for query news-one partial request last night (very muted yay) followed by a form R on a query plus ten this AM-the universe balancing itself?

(((hugs))) to all!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Muted yay for Hester.

We haven't had any muted yays related to writing in here lately, have we? Craperella is our bright spot. Everything else has been grim and/or void.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
The telegram is so anguished.

Funny that just yesterday I was reading about Dorothy Parker. Evidently, the copyrights for her works are in a mess.

Someone asked her to use horticulture in a sentence, and she came back quickly with, 'you can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think.'

I have always been in awe of people who could think fast and do quick witty comebacks. I was always the person who'd come up with one like 17 hours later, thinking, "Damn, I should have said that." I think that's why I write. So I have ample time to think about stuff.

Speaking of...I just don't understand why something I claim to love doing (writing) takes such a monumental effort on my part to sit my butt down and do. Shouldn't I be always itching to get to the keyboard to release the diarrhea of ideas I have churning in my mind?

I've never been the kind of writer to write and "see what happens." Maybe that's why I can't seem to get any words out. I don't have an idea of where I'm going with this new book, or who the characters really are, and me being the anal-retentive that I am, it's got me paralyzed. Sigh.

Hug and a yay for Hester.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
And before I sign off to sit down and not write, I thought this piece of news today was very Pittish.

"Pfizer said on Tuesday it was recalling about a million packets of birth control pills in the United States because they may not contain enough contraceptive to prevent pregnancy."

So, ummm, if any pitizens take, well, you know, then...better check it out.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
And before I sign off to sit down and not write, I thought this piece of news today was very Pittish.

"Pfizer said on Tuesday it was recalling about a million packets of birth control pills in the United States because they may not contain enough contraceptive to prevent pregnancy."

So, ummm, if any pitizens take, well, you know, then...better check it out.

Gee, does it qualify as a bright side then that I haven't had sex in like six months? Lucky me.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
What could happen??

duggar-family-picture.jpg

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the yays kell and Cat!

Vandal, is that the Brady Bunch on steroids? Good gravy...

I had the same thought as Dragon when I heard about the birth control fiasco-lawsuit followed by "but what an idea!"

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Muted yay, Hester

Yeah, Craperella is the bright spot. I'm trying to figure out the ratio between poop and milk consumed because she's already gained 2 lbs in 14 days. She's already eating my wife alive so I might have to plan my escape once she moves from liquids to solids.

BTW, Dragon, that's crazy about the recalled BCP, but most states don't recognize "wrongful birth" as a claim you can sue someone for, be it a doctor, hospital, or drug maker.

LOL, Vandal.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
I get a panic attack just looking at that picture of the Duggers, Vandal.

Anytime I complain about the hardships of parenting everyone says to me, "Well be thankful you only have ONE."

Yeah well, there's a reason I only have ONE!

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Hi, gang! Here we go with another F#@%!n day in the Pit...
Gee, does it qualify as a bright side then that I haven't had sex in like six months? Lucky me.
I'm sorry to hear that, and empathize. Nuff said.
I have always been in awe of people who could think fast and do quick witty comebacks. I was always the person who'd come up with one like 17 hours later, thinking, "Damn, I should have said that." I think that's why I write. So I have ample time to think about stuff.
It's its own kind of intelligence. A person who can write code and dissertations his whole life can be a dull and awkward conversationalist, but some of these people who are sharp and funny to talk to? Yeah, that's a skill that I envy so much. They don't teach that in college - well, not in class. :(

I hope I didn't mangle the punctuation too much up there...

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Love the telegram. And the comeback is just as good.

Muted yay for Hester.

I think we all have that feeling from time-to-time, Cat. Sympathies.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score

This caused me to realize I haven't had sex in five and a half months. And no good prospects either. Go, me.

And I got a rejection from an editor I hadn't even known was reading my ms. Pfffffft.

Hello, Pit.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Waaaaay past.

And even the Dorothy Parker letter depressed me. Because even in a short telegram bemoaning failure, she is so fucking brilliant.

ETA: And Wislawa Szymborska died today. Don't bother with a maggotini glass --- just pass me the whole pitcher.

Last edited:

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Guys, I've seen you guys use the phrase "the Powers that Shush." I love it, both for the poetry and accuracy and would like to borrow it for a Q & A I'm doing with another author.

Would that be okay with you all? And if you agree, would you prefer I reference the Pit or simply say "a thread on a popular writing forum?"

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Know what guys? Never mind. I'm under a bit of a time restriction with this, and since I wouldn't dream of using it unless there's consensus on both parts - use and attribution - I don't think that's possible.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.