Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Cat! Ink beat me to it but that's more Spit Shine worthy news.

((sick pitizens)) heh, 2012's douching it up already. Lovely <- sarcasm

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
Day 3 of 2012 and half the Pit is sick and half-dead and being rejected. I'm thinking of calling it the So What's New Year.

However, muted yay for Cat. I think $15 is cool.

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
Cat, I've never read that one. You're right- I'd have thought that would get an R for sure if someone had told me the premise. I'm currently reading J@m3s P@tter$0n new one, which, don't get me wrong- I love it. I'm a sucker for this stuff. But, this book has terror plots, 9 POVs, and a serial. I know he has long had that standing of he can do whatever he wants now, but it goes to show people will buy it.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Delurked to congratulate Catwoman.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Is there an actual thread called Spit Shine?

To chime in on the diversity issue...my heroine may be white (an assumption I suppose, even tho it's never stated per se), but the hero is Latino. I don't make race an issue in the story, although some spanish things are mentioned.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Is there an actual thread called Spit Shine?

To chime in on the diversity issue...my heroine may be white (an assumption I suppose, even tho it's never stated per se), but the hero is Latino. I don't make race an issue in the story, although some spanish things are mentioned.

For when even Pitizens need a ray of shine: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223531&page=16

Cat, CONGRATULATIONS! THAT'S AWESOME! Will do banana dances in SPit Shine.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
lol Dragon. Also ((pit)) I'm sick too, and dreading rejection, but still trying to stay positive.

YAY Cat!!

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Feeling very pittish today, and I know why. I got an editor rejection.

Then, to make matters worse, I looked at the last few middle grade sales on PW, and so many look like Harry Potter spin-offs, selling for big bucks.

Shoot me. I don't write anything J.R. Rawlings. I don't think I write big-buck books.

I get it, of course. I'm reading HP to my little one now, and for the first time, he doesn't want to pretend to be a superhero brandishing a weapon. Now he wants to be a wizard with a wand. I just don't write that way. If I could, I would . . . but I don't think like that.

Back when I worked in a used bookstore on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley, one of my colleagues said, "If you're a writer, don't work here. After a while you realize the world just doesn't need any more books."

Why am I remembering that now?

Last edited:

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Feeling very pittish today, and I know why. I got an editor rejection.

Then, to make matters worse, I looked at the last few middle grade sales on PW, and so many look like Harry Potter spin-offs, selling for big bucks.

Shoot me. I don't write anything J.R. Rawlings. I don't think I write big-buck books.

I get it, of course. I'm reading HP to my little one now, and for the first time, he doesn't want to pretend to be a superhero brandishing a weapon. Now he wants to be a wizard with a wand. I just don't write that way. If I could, I would . . . but I don't think like that.

Back when I worked in a used bookstore on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley, one of my colleagues said, "If you're a writer, don't work here. After a while you realize the world just doesn't need any more books."

Why am I remembering that now?

Sorry for the editor R. That's sucks.

However, I must conclude that your former colleague was stupid. Or lacking in imagination. Or just trying to bring you down. Seriously. That's like telling a nurse who works in a maternity ward that she'll eventually realize the world doesn't need any more babies.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the editor R. That's sucks.

However, I must conclude that your former colleague was stupid. Or lacking in imagination. Or just trying to bring you down. Seriously. That's like telling a nurse who works in a maternity ward that she'll eventually realize the world doesn't need any more babies.

Yeah. Good point. The comment really stuck with me, though.

Last edited:

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
((Teri)) I guess editors are working today. I thought it'd at least be a week before we start getting editor Rs :(

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Teri)))

Roly, I hope they're working cause the waiting is torture!

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Editors are working all right. I also got responses to queries.

Ready for a sort of amazing number? I have 18 editors reading 6 different books. Isn't that crazy? *(2 are proposals)

Just yesterday, I thought this was good: I might sell something.

Today, though I think: Four months from now, think I'll crappy I'll feel to have 18 editor rejections for 6 different books.

That's what I call getting beaten up.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Woah, those are incredible numbers Teri! More eds mean more chances...I think. Honestly, sometimes I don't even know anymore :)

Le sigh. Snappy, the waiting is torture. TORTURE I say. I'm wondering if eds used the break to read mss or if they put all their mss aside and will start reading them again sometime this week, or do they read during the week? Maybe they read on the weekends? Lordy I don't even known anymore. All I know is that I'm getting antsier and antsier. Sigh.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Teri))) I like your chances -- we know it's not about chance, but editors have to read before they can offer, so you're in the game.

(((Colby))) (((Red)))) Yep. Yuck.

Catwoman, hooray! Big congrats to you!

Had my first day in my new old job today -- sit around and do pointless stuff for money. I need a new new job.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
"(((Teri))) I like your chances -- we know it's not about chance,"

I wasn't sure if you were being ironic.

I think its largely about chance, once you have a professionally written book. There are a lot more publishable books than there are slots in an editor's list.

I mentioned before that Margaret Atwood visited my grad program. She stayed for a full week, so I had lots of chances to hear her speak. Very firmly, she said, "Literary prizes are a crap shoot."

I do think once you have something publishable, it's a matter of getting it to the right editor at the right moment.

ETA: Of course, in my particular case, if I don't sell any of these books in 2012, it doesn't mean I was unlucky it means my writing sucks.:cry:

Last edited:

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
So happy for you, Cat!

{{{Teri}}}

Had my first day in my new old job today -- sit around and do pointless stuff for money. I need a new new job.

Yay for new old jobs! Hang in there. The first few days, even weeks, are always tough.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I think its largely about chance, once you have a professionally written book. There are a lot more publishable books than there are slots in an editor's list.
*sigh* Yeah. This is why I get so annoyed by everyone who says luck has nothing to do with it.

Kelly, yay for surviving your first day!

I'm getting incredibly antsy waiting to hear back from my agent on a few things. I swear, the gods made me a writer to teach me patience. (But it's not working.)

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* Yeah. This is why I get so annoyed by everyone who says luck has nothing to do with it.

Or people who think they're the cat's meow because they got lucky.

Can you stand a quotation from JA K0nrath? He says you have to keep on writing until you get lucky.

I like when successful people say humble things. Like MA saying literary prizes are a crapshoot. Or Am@nda H0Ckings saying, sincerely, "I am grateful to all the people who read my books, even the ones who hated them and gave them 1 star reviews."

As opposed to successful people saying, "Obviously my success is because I'm so much better then everyone else."

If' I'm ever successful and I say anything which is not humble wil you all please shoot me?

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I have to stop posting and go back to work.

I received this email this morning:

"Many thanks for your query. As much as I love historical fiction, I have not been able to publish it successfully lately. That’s a real shame, and I hope that the situation changes. Given the difficulty of publishing in this genre, I don’t think [publisher] would be the right house for your novel. I’m sorry, but I thank you for thinking of me."

Should I hang myself yet?

Here's the bright / humorous side. Yesterday I queried an editor at this exact same publishing house. I received an indignant response telling me that this publishing house, by policy, accepts only agented material, so I need to go get an agent.

I immediately looked up the name of the executive / senior editor, one rung below editor in chief. I queried her and got the above response.

While I don't lack for nerve, I'm still not having luck.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
If' I'm ever successful and I say anything which is not humble wil you all please shoot me?
Shooting seems a touch extreme. Perhaps a virtual smack instead?

*hugs* on the pass. Since I share your (lack of) luck, I shall admire your nerve instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.