Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket)))

Blacbird, my friend's son does that same thing. It is great to go for a walk with him and a truck goes by and he yells out "Fuck!" at the top of his lungs. Cute.

Madder, I saw on the weather report more typhoons in your area. Stay safe.

I do status queries on requested material, but I never have much hope that it will yield positive news. It has revealed lost material once or twice. I got a partial to full conversion one time, but maybe the agent was embarrassed?

I've only had 1 full with no response ever received. I've had some that took almost a year to respond. After a few months I send a status query every four weeks. I don't stop until I get a reply. To me it is almost punitive, the following up, in that "I will not go gently into the good night" way -- you MUST give me that R and break my heart. I won't settle for anything less. I feel like it is for the greater good too, if we don't follow up agents will slide into that no response equals no on requested material too. Unacceptable.

I asked an agent I met about this. She admitted to not responding to fulls and feeling bad about it, but after many months she indicated that she was embarrassed to respond so late so she often doesn't. I gently told her that a late response is better than none. Maybe other writers feel differently but I like closure.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Octavia, I agree completely. I'd much rather have a late response on requested material than no response. No response keeps too much up in the air.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
AO I agree, too. Yes R's suck, whether they are personalized or form version, but it's far FAR worse to just ignore a full or partial and unprofessional...

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Completely agree, Octavia. Unfortunately, the Gonads of Insanity[SUP]TM[/SUP] didn't drop for me in those situations and I didn't bother following up.

I've had 2 non-responders on requested fulls on 2 different projects. After 3 months I told said to myself, "Screw them, they don't think enough of me or my submission to respond, then I'm not going to chase them."

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
guys i need some WIP help- what Prom theme do you think has the most comedic possibilities
(note the girls in my book will be stoned)
Luau
Disco
Candy Land
other?
:)

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Luau all the way! Hellooo stoned-limbo-ing!
In fact drunken comedic/embarrassing limbo-ing has happened to me IRL

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree - luau. I imagine coconut bras and things go south from there.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
*shake shake shake* Character - 'whooo everyone look at me!!' *pop!* character slinks off in embarrassment 'stop looking! STOP LOOKING' bwahaha!

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
Silver -- Disco could be pretty funny too, esp. if it's 70s style...the mirrored ball, which can definitely hypnotize stoned people, tripping over bell bottoms, big frizzy hair and huge mustaches with pieces of food stuck in them, wide lapels, pantyhose (ugh)...

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
vG2RA.gif

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
luau it is... thats what i thought too...yes proms have themes- i asked my 18 yr old niece- her's was memories

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I think our prom theme must have been "everyone wears black dresses or tuxes and eats crappy food while listening to bad music." :tongue

Then again, I hated high school. (Which always poses the question of why do I write YA.)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Red, Soul, :evil exactly. LOL.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know some homecomings have themes as well. At my son's school, the kids wanted "The End of the World" as the theme. The administration made them change it.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Ink I wondered the same question. I'm pretty sure our prom didn't have a theme...but of course I was way too busy being anti-everything at the time to give a shit even if it did.

Red LOL @ The pic!

Amaire HAHAHAHAHHA! Sounds like they belong in the pit!

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
Two proms in high school. BOTH had Bon Jovi themes. Don't ask. I had no part in either of these fiascos.

Also, I don't nudge either. I know it's DOA. No need to expend energy and speed toward my inevitable doom getting the R. If they'd wanted it, they'd have already contacted me. *sigh*

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
We didn't have a theme for proms back in the day. I went to 2 proms, mine (1990) and my GF (1991, she was a junior when we started dating). The most we had was a song. My prom it was "Wind Beneath My Wings" and hers was "Here & Now."

I had a good time at both, but, admittedly, they were merely the setup to what I and every other guy with a date were looking forward to afterward--booze and sex.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I went to my senior prom but I had to wear the dress I had bought for my junior prom, which I did not get asked to. (Oh, hope. You were a cruel butterfly even then). My date was brokered as a package deal by a friend, who got two male friends to agree to take us on the condition that we understood it wasn't really a date. She was very irate not to get a good night kiss, but I was OK with it.

I wouldn't have minded some booze though. Didn't get that either.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the prom had a theme when I was in hs, but I don't remember what it was. I'm with you, Soul, "too busy being anti-everything at the time to give a shit even if it did." LOL.

Kellion, awww, that is sad/cute/innocent of your young self. I sometimes wish I hadn't missed out on normal stuff by being so full of angst and rebellion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.