Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Fourlittlebees)))

I tell you, Pit, this would be a good day for a request. It would be a very bad day for a full rejection. Hellhounds, please, if one is headed toward my inbox, bite the e-mailman. You can gnaw on my heart all you want tomorrow if you enjoy the taste of black and bitter.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Maggotinis for all and ice cubes for Fourlittlebee's fingers. This was a good day for good news, which makes it a bad day for bad news.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
im bellying up to the bar...MAKE MINE IN A GARBAGE CAN PLEASE

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
well yeah..so this is the part I wasn't going to tell you guys b/c it is NEVER going to happen, but my agent is going to call her and ask her just that...basically ask if she will work with me on an exclusive revision...b/c agent feels SHE is the right editor and this is the right house and we should just see if she'll go for it...
i'll let you know what happens( she will say NO) I am sure...

Your agent rocks, and you know what, why not?

Yaay an invite! *crinkle crinkle* *dives under couch with Snappy, Red and Cricket*

((Snapps)) it's either 'wow this is good *cry* i'll never be this good! No one's ever gonna pick up my crap' or 'wow this is bad *cry* why not MY crap??'

*Makes room for Soul* Yes, isn't that the truth!

DO NOT PANIC. I am reading the book in question. It is phenomenal. It is amazing. But it is not perfect.

Don't get me wrong, because I love it, but this is the genre I like best (why does that sound sing-songy?) and even with a book this amazing, there are things I know I do differently. No, I'm nowhere NEAR this good at world-building, but I have a different way of developing characters (which is why trunking a book is totally funeral-ific for me). Dear god, I'm Pollyanna-ish, but honestly... I was assuming I'd be committing seppoku at the end of this book. I won't be. I write literary, but it's not like this, and I'm still going to be okay. I think. ;)

4Bs, good point. No, actually, great point. I have these days when I read brilliant writing and wallow in the all the crap. I forget that I'm a different writer and that's okay.

When I gave up my children's books to pursue adult romance and fantasy, I thought it was the end of the world. I realized I wouldn't be the next R0wling, but then I thought, being the next N0ra R0berts wouldn't be so bad. LOL. I had delusions of grandeur back then.

Maggotinis for all and ice cubes for Fourlittlebee's fingers. This was a good day for good news, which makes it a bad day for bad news.

*Scoops up a maggotini* I'd tell you all about the crazy @$$ work day, but then it'd be ranting too much. So, I think I'll drown myself in maggotinis instead.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Snappy, I did the same thing with children's books. I hope it trained me to write a little bit -- at least I learned to keep it simple and that if you have a plot pulling things forward, so much the better.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
Snappy, I did the same thing with children's books. I hope it trained me to write a little bit -- at least I learned to keep it simple and that if you have a plot pulling things forward, so much the better.
That is apparently what I don't have...gulping from my garbage can...
i feel like the wizard of Oz...if I only had a plot...

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm not sure which novel you guys are talking about with the beautiful, sweeping prose, but I believe worrying about that kind of thing can drive you insane. Whether prose is sweeping or not is subjective. So is whether or not an editor likes it.

When I was on sub, one editor complained that my novel had a "sweeping, lofty feel, and I wanted it to be more down to earth." And another said my prose was "too colloquial for fantasy."

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Word, that's an excellent point. One editor's "sweeping prose" love may be another editor's gripe. Back to the evil word...subjective.

Kellion, I loved writing children's books and it definitely taught me a lot. But, painful when I finally decided it wasn't the direction I need to go.

This day has been absolutely insane, so I freely admit my posts may not have been entirely coherent. But, it did end on a positive note which has been posted in appropriate thread. ;) *Bite that hellhounds*

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Good points, Word. It is subjective, but I guess it comes down to what kind of writing style you're comfortable with.

I know I can't be a word painter. I can't talk about a chair and make it sound like poetry. I remember reading A Th0us@nd Spl3ndId Svns and there's a description of a child getting tossed in the air by her father that goes on for more than a paragraph. The event is mere seconds, but it was as if H0ussein! has stopped time, bringing to life what the child felt and what she saw while in the air. I was like, crap, I can never write like that. That didn't mean I couldn't get published though.

I opted for a minimilist approach, not so much McM@nn or McC@rthy, but a conservation of words trying to tell the most with the least amount of words. I'm more plotdriven storeteller anyway and that fits me.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
Good points, Word. It is subjective, but I guess it comes down to what kind of writing style you're comfortable with.

I know I can't be a word painter. I can't talk about a chair and make it sound like poetry. I remember reading A Th0us@nd Spl3ndId Svns and there's a description of a child getting tossed in the air by her father that goes on for more than a paragraph. The event is mere seconds, but it was as if H0ussein! has stopped time, bringing to life what the child felt and what she saw while in the air. I was like, crap, I can never write like that. That didn't mean I couldn't get published though.

I opted for a minimilist approach, not so much McM@nn or McC@rthy, but a conservation of words trying to tell the most with the least amount of words. I'm more plotdriven storeteller anyway and that fits me.

This is so true. Even the best-selling writers out there tend to have one strength. With Elmor0e Le0nard it's dialogue; J0hn Gr1sham, it's plot. J@net Evan0vitch has crazy, wacky characters, w/o much depth to them. K1ngsolver wouldn't be able to write an Evan0vitch book nor vice versa. Yet they're both best-selling authors, making oodles of money.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I thank the Hellhounds for not letting any Rs get through, and if they had to let the washing machine overflow to balance it out, well, bless 'em anyway. Everything has a price.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((4Bs)))

Steve, exactly. Every writer has their own strengths, and the best we can do is hope that we find them and that we like the sorts of stories that showcase them. I cannot write beautiful prose or complex, twisty plots, both of which I love. But there are things I can do well, and I've tried to write the stories that need those things.

(((Kellion))) Boo on the washer overflow, but if something has to give....

Logged on to discover an email from the agent and had a mini heart attack thinking it's the pass I'm dreading. Fortunately, it was just her asking me for my cell number and letting me know she's impatient for news, too. That (1) in the inbox can induce nightmares.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) Well, I guess you know cell if good, email if bad. Yikes.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
(4bs)

*Scoops up a maggotini* I'd tell you all about the crazy @$$ work day, but then it'd be ranting too much. So, I think I'll drown myself in maggotinis instead.

*snuggles snappy* What happened? Boo to shitty ass days

ack Ink! Good to know it wasn't anything bad, though

Highlight of my day - picking up halloween decorations. I LOVE halloween. HA still it's sad when that's the highlight of my week!

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
(((Ink)))

Being on sub is horrible. It actually made me physically ill. But it sounds like your agent is a good communicator, and actually sympathetic. Big bonus there.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on pretend sub and that's the worst of all worlds. It's kind of like being on sub because I have four editors reading requested manuscripts (it's a round, if a small one), but it's an illusion because they won't buy. They all know no one else wants this book so they won't want it either.

I have the same eye twitch I had last time I was on sub, and I have gained five pounds, so in that sense, it's like being on sub.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Eh, it's all pretend at this point, Word. I am the bottom manuscript in the pile -- they know no auction is breaking out.

It's funny though -- when you have four agents reading, that sounds pretty good. You have a decent chance at an offer. Four editors? Pfft. That's nothing. If you had an agent, you'd have 15.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.