Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
Apparantly Amazon is launching an ebook rental service like Netflix. Looks good. Too bad Amazon isn't compatable with my ereader and it's only going to be available to Americans at first.
ok I know I sound like Kramer...but I HAD this idea years ago when Netflix came out...not that I had the resources to do anything about it ;)

silver76

Registered
Reaction score

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((silver))) The close ones are the most painful.

A pit-worthy moral here: this is what becomes of us when we complain about the silence. :(

:e2zipped:

ok I know I sound like Kramer...but I HAD this idea years ago when Netflix came out...not that I had the resources to do anything about it ;)
My roommate and I, back in college, wanted to start a video rental delivery service, but we never ran with the idea. This was years before Netflix showed up. Oy.

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
(((silver))) The close ones are the most painful.

A pit-worthy moral here: this is what becomes of us when we complain about the silence. :(

:e2zipped:
yes exactly... will I ever not be close but no cigar...

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Silver)))

This is one of those days when every single thing, including the bright fall sunshine, seems to be there specifically to taunt me.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Roly, you just made me laugh so loud I snorted. I haven't visited "hell" for over a year, for a reason.

Thanks for the computer hugs. The good news is that the thing still works, as long as it's plugged in. The bad news is that when I put in the battery, it says, "Battery? What battery?" So my laptop has become a desktop for now. But I have a friend who's a Mac genius who's going to look at it when he gets back in town. He's gone for a few days.

*Raises maggotini to all Mac geniuses! They are a rare breed.*

LOLing at the very notion of Hell, let alone Roly's description of it. I mean, Hell? Come on, Hell is practically a paradise. The Pit is Hell's basement. Which is probably why unwanted sunshine creeps in there more easily.

*sigh*

{{{Pitizens}}}

I'll just be under the couch, snuggling up with Snappy & Cricket under a big cozy blanket of Rs. *crinkle*

I ventured into Hell once. It was far too bright. I ran back to the Pit quick.

When all things sunshiney pop up, take them to SPitshine. ;)

*Snuggles up to Cricket & Red.* Join us Soul and damn those Monday meetings.

ok first i have to post this and then i am going to catch up... got an R- a super positive R from an editor and house my agent was really hoping for... positives: loved the voice, laughed out loud, said it was a "great read" AND wants to see anything else I write...
negatives: episodic, felt like it lacked trajectory AND no love interest...
SIGH...
this editor totally got the voice (most don't) and STILL said no- for reasons I have never heard about my work...although I see all of it now that she's said it...
BUT what about ALL the crap...that is NOT episodic- has a trajectory- and a love interest- BUT THE WRITING SUCKS!!! gah!!!

(((Silver))) Ugh!!!! I can't think of anything more clever to say.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably going to bring the Powers that Shush[SUP]TM[/SUP] upon me but...

I'm having an oh-my-God-I'll-never-write-like-that moment. A certain AWer is experiencing the praises of the publishing gods - and rightfully so - but reading this person's work makes me want to bash my head against the wall. She's SO good, and I feel like I'll never write like that. I'd never even think of that concept. And my work could be considered contrived or formulaic because I'm sticking to genre expectations.

She's written beautiful sweeping prose that I wouldn't attempt. I like my genre, actually I LOVE my genre, but sometimes I think wouldn't it be nice to do something like THAT?

Don't know where I'm going with this, but *sigh*

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably going to bring the Powers that Shush[SUP]TM[/SUP] upon me but...

I'm having an oh-my-God-I'll-never-write-like-that moment. A certain AWer is experiencing the praises of the publishing gods - and rightfully so - but reading this person's work makes me want to bash my head against the wall. She's SO good, and I feel like I'll never write like that. I'd never even think of that concept. And my work could be considered contrived or formulaic because I'm sticking to genre expectations.

She's written beautiful sweeping prose that I wouldn't attempt. I like my genre, actually I LOVE my genre, but sometimes I think wouldn't it be nice to do something like THAT?

Don't know where I'm going with this, but *sigh*
(((SNAPPY))) i get it...

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
If everybody wrote the exact same thing, Snappy, it would be a boring world indeed. Which is to say, some days, I like spaghetti for dinner. Some days I like steak. Other days I like cereal. I would hate having to eat the same thing for dinner all the time. Reading works the same way. Some days I want something beautiful. Other days I want something exciting. Other days I want something light and fluffy.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely I get it. Reading brilliant books is both inspiring and humbling. If I were that good, I wouldn't be in the Pit. I mean, I think my crap is good as or better than a lot of crap that gets published, but a level of competence isn't enough. It's not all I want to accomplish, but it's all I have right now.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
ok first i have to post this and then i am going to catch up... got an R- a super positive R from an editor and house my agent was really hoping for... positives: loved the voice, laughed out loud, said it was a "great read" AND wants to see anything else I write...
negatives: episodic, felt like it lacked trajectory AND no love interest...
SIGH...
this editor totally got the voice (most don't) and STILL said no- for reasons I have never heard about my work...although I see all of it now that she's said it...
BUT what about ALL the crap...that is NOT episodic- has a trajectory- and a love interest- BUT THE WRITING SUCKS!!! gah!!!

I'm taking a risk here by sounding incredibly naive, but if the editor liked it THAT much, why can't she suggest you make those changes and then she'll look at it again? Or is it just too much? Do editors choose only books that have it ALL going on for them -- where all they have to do is correct a few typos and style changes?

Snappy -- what everyone says -- I totally get where you're coming from. I once went on an author's website to read an excerpt of her debut novel -- this was an author who had quit her high-paying job, gave herself 3 months to write a book (she didn't know anything about writing) and through a connection (her babysitter knew an agent) got her ms to an agent who read it in a weekend and signed her on that Mon. Needless to say, the beginning of her novel was dynamic. She has a great, unique voice and had an interesting concept.

I wanted to bash my head against the wall. That being said though, people read all kinds of different, depending on their mood.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and my question of the day here, since I'm still obsessing over my R like I tend to do...

If an agent or a publisher or an epub or anyone states what they are looking for, down to examples of titles of other books or books they rep, and you think yours fits to a tee and is EXACTLY what they are looking for...

and you query with the first few pages of your ms and they still send you a big fat R, Should I conclude that they just thought my writing sucked?

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking a risk here by sounding incredibly naive, but if the editor liked it THAT much, why can't she suggest you make those changes and then she'll look at it again? Or is it just too much? Do editors choose only books that have it ALL going on for them -- where all they have to do is correct a few typos and style changes?

well yeah..so this is the part I wasn't going to tell you guys b/c it is NEVER going to happen, but my agent is going to call her and ask her just that...basically ask if she will work with me on an exclusive revision...b/c agent feels SHE is the right editor and this is the right house and we should just see if she'll go for it...
i'll let you know what happens( she will say NO) I am sure...

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Catwoman, you should conclude that You Are Not Psychic. No one knows what an agent wants even when she says what it is. This happens ALL the time to ALL of us.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{Snappy}}} We all know that all too well.

(((silver))) My roommate and I, back in college, wanted to start a video rental delivery service, but we never ran with the idea. This was years before Netflix showed up. Oy.

I think my brother got you two guys beat. He's 10 yrs older and as a teenage in the mid-late 1970s, he bought parts from the local Radio Shaq and created a video game console before Atari was ever invented. We all thought it was cool (played his version of table tennis on it which he created) but he didn't think much of it.

My brother's had a good life, but he's pretty much a lost soul of what would have been.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
Catwoman, you should conclude that You Are Not Psychic. No one knows what an agent wants even when she says what it is. This happens ALL the time to ALL of us.

Thanks guys, that makes me feel a little better. It's just so frustrating!

Personally, I always wished I had been the inventor of Post-its. I can't live without them.

Last edited:

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Yaay an invite! *crinkle crinkle* *dives under couch with Snappy, Red and Cricket*

((Snapps)) it's either 'wow this is good *cry* i'll never be this good! No one's ever gonna pick up my crap' or 'wow this is bad *cry* why not MY crap??'

If everybody wrote the exact same thing, Snappy, it would be a boring world indeed. Which is to say, some days, I like spaghetti for dinner. Some days I like steak. Other days I like cereal. I would hate having to eat the same thing for dinner all the time. Reading works the same way. Some days I want something beautiful. Other days I want something exciting. Other days I want something light and fluffy.

Haha a wise woman told me something similar just the other day as she cheered me up over an R. Some people like steak, some like McDonalds.

Oh, and my question of the day here, since I'm still obsessing over my R like I tend to do...

If an agent or a publisher or an epub or anyone states what they are looking for, down to examples of titles of other books or books they rep, and you think yours fits to a tee and is EXACTLY what they are looking for...

and you query with the first few pages of your ms and they still send you a big fat R, Should I conclude that they just thought my writing sucked?

Eh whether or not something sucks is entirely subjective. Plus I'm guessing your ms is better than lots of the crap already published. I have 2 theories on this. 1 is that when you query an agent who seems perfect for the type of book you write, 100000000000 other writers have also queried that agent with the same types of books. Makes it harder to 'stand out'.

Also unfortunately readers and agents need more than just a genre that interests them. There's plot, voice, bla bla bla. I love sf/f but I've certainly picked up books thinking 'oooh!' and read a few pages and thought 'not my cuppa'

well yeah..so this is the part I wasn't going to tell you guys b/c it is NEVER going to happen, but my agent is going to call her and ask her just that...basically ask if she will work with me on an exclusive revision...b/c agent feels SHE is the right editor and this is the right house and we should just see if she'll go for it...
i'll let you know what happens( she will say NO) I am sure...

WHOOT! Your agent kicks @$$ Silver!

I think my brother got you two guys beat. He's 10 yrs older and as a teenage in the mid-late 1970s, he bought parts from the local Radio Shaq and created a video game console before Atari was ever invented. We all thought it was cool (played his version of table tennis on it which he created) but he didn't think much of it.

My brother's had a good life, but he's pretty much a lost soul of what would have been.

eesh.

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
soul...i know right? i am terrified- but also like thrilled that SHE (agent) is willing to put herself out on the line like that...it's pretty insane actually, but hey- weirder things have happened right?
ETA: let me stress again- that this is NEVER going to happen...hellhounds

Last edited:

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
No wonder I'm fat. Food is the nicest thing I've got these days. Today is garlicky, buttery, homemade mashed potatoes. Mmmmmm.
i had a bowl of mashed potatoes with cheese for dinner last night...put my sadness pile in a dissapointment bowl...

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
DO NOT PANIC. I am reading the book in question. It is phenomenal. It is amazing. But it is not perfect.

Don't get me wrong, because I love it, but this is the genre I like best (why does that sound sing-songy?) and even with a book this amazing, there are things I know I do differently. No, I'm nowhere NEAR this good at world-building, but I have a different way of developing characters (which is why trunking a book is totally funeral-ific for me). Dear god, I'm Pollyanna-ish, but honestly... I was assuming I'd be committing seppoku at the end of this book. I won't be. I write literary, but it's not like this, and I'm still going to be okay. I think. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.