Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. This is the part of the week when I feel like throwing in the towel.

Actually, it's never been this bad before.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Is it Friday yet?

I think I'm just bored with the sound of my own voice. I have a feeling it is all part of crappy querying process. Almost a "why bother?" thing. That dangerous line of thinking of why invest time and energy into yet another project that will be deemed too quiet, etc. I'd be happy to take a little break, cleanse the palate, refresh the well of ideas except that I WANT to be writing. I yearn for the feeling of putting words down on the page. Yet, there I sit unable to do anything.

{{{AO}}} I empathize. That's how I'm feeling about this project and it's only been a week. It's not high concept, so what's the point?

Morning Pit. Woke up with a sore throat this morning. Considering my grandmother has strep and I saw her over the weekend, this does not bode well for me.

{{{Snappy}}} That doesn't sound good. Get thee to a doctor, stat.

(((pit)))
started reading tw8nt7 b87 su88er yesterday...um not good. for all the hoopla i found the first ten pages cliche ridden and cloying...but obviously that's just me.

I think I got Twenty and summer...but...?? :Wha:

Mmmmm ... brains....

I'm thinking of starting a new support group. I'll call it Curmudgeons Understanding New Text Speak.

:ROFL:

Something very pittish happened today. Last night I placed a garbage bag on the front porch forgetting that last night wasn't garbage night.

When I went outside this morning, it was torn to shreds. I fetched a new garbage bag to place the shredded one into. When I went back outside and picked it up, there was a hundred maggots on it!

Shortly afterward, I finally completed the formatting for my book and uploaded it onto Kindle. It should go live tomorrow sometime.
Ew, but yay! Huh, I don't think I've ever put those together in a sentence before.

Oh, I'm reading The F@lls (Joyce C.O.) and it's all about people leaping over Niagara (okay, not really, but a little) and then today I hear a Japanese student slipped and fell into the falls just yesterday. That just struck me as weird.

Very weird, and a little creepy.

Heh. This is the part of the week when I feel like throwing in the towel.

Actually, it's never been this bad before.

{{{Roly}}} What's up, chica?

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Pit.

Kellion, how annoying with the twitter thing. I don't auto-follow people, but if it's someone I know IRL. Bleh.

JEQ, ew! But Kellion and Red made me laugh. And congrats!!

(((Roly)))

Madder, creepy coincidence! And did you say body parts in cans? *backs away*

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Happy book birthday, JEQ! Ranked 27,000 already? Not too shabby for a few hours time. Wow!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Hugs to Roly. The Pit is still the Pit. :(

I would like a maggoccino. Who else wants one?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
What a crappy day I'm having -- personal stuff with relatives troubling me, not writing. There is a reason I'm a loner. I like to be left alone :(

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
{{Kellion}} I sympathize. Going through a rough patch here, too with family and I"m also not writing. I keep telling myself this will pass. I hope it does.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
(((PIT)))
HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY JEQ...
anyone who is writing paranormal YA might like this comment form an editor on twitter:
Disenchanted with pnr YA subs lately. Love them until halfway pt, then secret society/"I'm really 200" appears and I lose interest. All feel the same (not in a good way). I already have YAs like that. I love them. But now I want something DIFFERENT.
ok great-
another editor said they wanted to see a YA with a positive version of the future, rather than dystopia...could the tide be turning...

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{Kellion}}}

Interesting, Silver. The tide will take it's turn. Nothing is new trend wise. Back in the late 1960s/early 1970s, with the dissolution with the Vietnam War, distrust in the government, etc., there was a wave of dystopian films targetting film goers in their 20s. That was the time of Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green, and, the first major zombie flick--Dawn of the Dead.

Sound familiar? The same thing that happen to movies back then happened to YA in the middle of last decade. The movie trend eventually died out in the mid 1970s with the rise of horror flicks and positive Sci-Fi movies.

Thanks for the link, Soul

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Hellhounds help me. There's a YA deal listed on PM today that sounds a whole lot like the premise for my trunked dystopian that both my ex-agents told me would never sell because the premise was too unpalatable. Granted, I don't know what the genre of that story is but excuse me while I :rant:

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
(((INK)) you have to stop reading PM...but also that SUCKS!!!! :(
eta: ink rep me the premise

Last edited:

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Silver, yeah. I really should bar myself from PM. Rep coming.

Also, after all my ranting about dystopians, I feel the need to clarify that my dystopian was a such a one in the more traditional sense. No illogical premises, and the worldbuilding was grounded in scientific theories about potential futures. :D

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, everyone. I was just a little depressed yesterday looking at the mound of work I had to do...sometimes I just feel like I've been busting my ass for years in so many different areas for very little pay off. Then I read stuff online and it's like, some girl writes a novel in 10 days and makes a million bucks, some girl marries some guy who just happens to become a successful ____ in 2 years and now she's jetting off to Paris every week. I have X # of degrees, a near 4.0 average, a good work ethic and tons of ideas in my head and I can't pay my bills. So it's just one of those things, but whatever. That's life. I can accept that :D :D

INK you have to stop reading PM...you have to! You'll drive yourself nuts. Just keep forging ahead.

((Kellion))

Silver, interesting! I agree with Steve, no trend is forever. Again read the link I posted above, about the Doom Loop as theorized by chick lit author Sh$nn% Sw*nds&n. These things reach a saturation point when readers start to lose interest in the genre because there's just too much of it out there, and too much of it is sub par or unoriginal. Then pubs waft in and out of faux trends a bit, pubbing books that are doing okay but nothing special, then another sleeper hit strikes and the doom loop begins anew. That's why there's no point in predicting a new trend until that sleeper hit comes out...and we'll all know when that sleeper hit comes out because SH are always pretty much universally recognized. Again, so far we've only had three in YA: HP (though that's kind of children's to), T and THG. CC's TMI series doesn't quite work as it steadily grew into its popularity and a lot of its popularity was driven by the S&S's hype machine in recent years...I mean the amount of crazy hype b4 the release of TCP and this year's CoFA is staggering. I like the series okay, but I'm not sure if I'd consider it a part of the Holy Trinity. I think CC is more of an author brand name now.

ANYWAY, I for one would love to see some awesome Sci Fi (that's well written) but also more positive, adventerous. Not everything has to be dark and emo-fied just because it's YA! Think of Firefly or Star Wars or NuTrek. If I have to choose a trend, I'd love fun Sci Fi to be the next big thing, or at least I'd love to read some fun Sci Fi, but of course, I'd rather if it was well written.

Actually, I do have a SNI for that too, but DAMN IT ALL if this fucking MRP didn't suck up my entire summer. When I think of all my SNIs I've got

1) Contemporary
2) Magical Real/Contemporary
3) Sci Fi Space
4) Steampunk
5) Contemporary Fantasy/AU Fantasy
6) Urban Fantasy

....I know. Of course the list is prioritized in my head right now, but I just wish I had the time and the patience to sit down and knock these ideas out.

In other news I just got a list of the editor names from my agent...I asked for them last week based on some suggestions here. Honestly, I understand her reasoning for giving out just the imprint names...but knowing who's reading my work just makes me feel better about things, tbh. And I'm not a moron, so there's nothing to worry about in terms of me doing something stupid (I'm bad with names anyway, chances are I'll forget them in a month lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.