Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Leigh I HATE when my betas are under-critical too! It's like - come ON I know there are issues...you MUST see them, just point them out to me!! I'd suggest getting another person to beta it for you as well

What's the most annoying is that someone will read something and comment (like on my query in query hell) and he say "Ooh. I haven't thought about that. That would make it better." :Shrug:

Leigh, have you asked around on the beta forum here?
I tired asking a per months ago but got only one person saying "oh yeah good luck with that." in reps.

Maybe I'll try again. Thanks :)

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really hating my WIP right now. I feel like nothing happens in it until the very end, which I know isn't true. But it bores me. And ya know, if it bores me, how is it not going to bore other people?

I know just how that feels and I do think it's because we read and read and read and know how it ends. I also have an inner critic that sounds like my mother who is great at the Scottish guilt thing. "What? you think anyone will want to read that?? It's soooooo predictable.Get a job as an accountant and leave this writing thing behind."

Maybe you need to find some new eyes to put on the WiP?

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
There is no killing the pit! Happiness might fade, sadness might pass, but despair is always there. Lurking. Watching. Waiting for the perfect moment to pounce and kill your hopes and dreams.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
What Ink said. You can't kill what's already dead. The Pit is always there.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Blond asked Purgatory what we have going on. I"m answering here because the answer is "nothing." I've got nothing going on. Working on nothing. No prospects until I do.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Now, Soul, you KNOW you have a lot going on. That's a lot, not to mention continuing hope for 7W... :)

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Soul, what Kellion said. That's a lot!

Kellion, hang in there!

At some point I'll need to suck it up and ask my agent if she actually *wants* to see the revised versions of my other novels. I'm just not... ready... yet.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) The novels aren't going anywhere -- at least not until you want them to. Send when you're feeling optimistic. Or why not just send now? You couldn't get any MORE pessimistic.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
:roll: True.

I haven't done the revisions yet because of my current WIP. So it would be asking, "Hey, you gave me notes, but you never actually said you wanted to see revisions. Do you? Or did you just share your notes?" She takes notes on everything, so just giving them to me doesn't mean she cares to ever look at the MS again. Bleh.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Well, notes are helpful if you can apply that to your next book but.... I think you need a little more clarity. It's no fun giving books to your agent, who should be your biggest advocate who thinks you are brilliant and talented and good-looking too, and have her say "meh." (and when I say "you" I mean "me too")

Sigh. We don't need agents to put our books in the drawer for us. We can do THAT all by ourselves.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm excellent at trunking things on my own. :) Her comments are very specific to the stories, but I'm starting to see trends.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Ink, regarding her notes to you, could you imply that indeed she might have wanted you to impliment those changes and revise? Even if she didn't come right out and say it? So many agents are hard-pressed for time, their communication can be awfully unspecific at times, or they leave something very basic and important out. My agent, for example, will answer half my questions in my email to her and leave the other questions unanswered. Which kind of boggles me.

tri

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Ink, I'm guessing that if she gave you notes she did so with the intention that you'd do revisions based on those notes at some point. I think Rockstar's notes never explicitly say "Do revisions based on..." I just sort of assume that's what she means.

Maybe a status email? Like "Hey Agent Lady! I've got notes on ms. A, notes on ms. B and I'm almost done working on ms. C that you haven't seen yet. Do you have a preference of what I work on/finish first?"

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Kellion-as always you have more faith in me than I do in myself! I know I have some irons in the fire still but I feel so darn down right now. It's hard to see the 'light at the end of the tunnel' you know?

Ack Ink H.U.G.S!!! Since I'm in a Debbie Downer mood, I say send your stuff when you're expectations are low. That way if she turns out to be a total crack pot (seriously, time for her to realize what an awesome client she has in you!!) and doesn't like them, your expectations won't get dashed. And Blond's advice isn't too shabby, I think agents only spend time giving revision notes if they actually want you to revise and resubmit, otherwise you'd get the 'message o doom' I got from my ex 'no. chow!'

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and hugs, guys. She gives notes even on the fulls she rejects, so really - I think she just takes notes on everything. I've asked her before.

And I'll bring it up eventually. I want to finish edits on the current WIP first.

(((Soul)))

Status
Not open for further replies.