SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
@Ink

How about take it a different way with the naive general population of Sumeria?

Ostriches were abundant in ancient Sumeria (not so in modern day Iraq). So maybe she can call them that? The reader would understand her meaning base on what popular belief is about ostriches.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
No, no, Steve, I just meant: why do you feel like you have to say mythology, etc. when you have the word DRAGON in your pitch? :D

To me, you could just say, In Medieval Spain, 15-yr-old Alejandro must steal a dragon's hoard to save his sister, etc...

That tells me that this story is going to have a fantastical bent, and doesn't distract me with generalities up front.
Good point Red. :)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Red, I like that! Only thing is... nothing bad's coming (not initially) so it doesn't quite fit. But...

It gives me ideas. She might call the others the "unpromised" or the "unmarked" or something. The cult still exists because my MC's ancestors bound her, and all their other descendants, to a specific god, and they're all marked as his followers who have to do certain tasks.

Sweet - I was stuck on a totally different train of thought yesterday.

Muggles! I kid, I kid. I like the "unmarked". It has an interesting ring to it.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, kids.

So.... after a long weekend with no less than three gallbladder attacks and enough narcs to make a pill addict blush, I've decided I may have to evict my gallbladder. Not just because I don't like being reminded at 2 am what I'd eaten for dinner in graphic, projectile detail. Not just because I don't want to have to pay another goddamn 3k hospital bill. But because the last attack I had, my gallbladder talked to my pancreas and they ganged the fuck up on me.

Also, will all the pain, I couldn't write. Couldn't query. FML, dude. Seriously.:e2thud:

Last edited:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Steve, I had the same thought about the mythology as Red. I've just been too brain-dead to articulate it. The dragon makes it obvious.

Ostriches were abundant in ancient Sumeria (not so in modern day Iraq). So maybe she can call them that? The reader would understand her meaning base on what popular belief is about ostriches.
Ooh, another interesting idea. Thanks!

Snappy, thanks! I can't tell you how often "muggles" has gotten stuck in my head when I've thought about this. Oy.

(((Leigh))) So sorry. But thanks - unclaimed would work well, too.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Leigh}}}
Thanks.

Oh, my poor boyfriend, dude! What set off that last attack was that we were celebrating the move and the fact that we are basically all moved in (we just need to get my bookshelves from my mom's house). Since I'm allergic to wine and champagne we decided on rum and cokes. I had about 1 and a half shots. He had six. By the time we were in the hospital, he was too drunk to stand, but he stayed by me and helped as much as he could. I think the rum was stronger than he thought, honestly. It was a kind he'd never had before and I really don't drink. Seriously, I could lose fingers and count on one hand how many nights I've had something to drink.

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
I see your point, Red & Ink. I didn't want to "zombify" Medieval Spain, LOL, and be like, "Hold up, how that dragon get in there?" :D. So this would be the re-re-re-re-revised pitch:

In Medieval Spain, 15-yr-old Alejandro must steal a dragon’s treasure to save his sister from a depraved nobleman’s harem

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Steve, you're ready for the next contest to come down the pike...

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Leigh)))

Ink, I couldn't resists. I like both "unmarked" and "unclaimed".

Steve, I think you're ready to go. Which reminds me that I have to revise my Twitter pitch. Yick... maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Thanks, Kell, Snappy & Red. Too bad the book isn't ready yet for the next contests. LOL

BTW, if I ever do get published I'm putting in the acknowledgments a maggotini shoutout to everyone in The Pit.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Kell, Snappy & Red. Too bad the book isn't ready yet for the next contests. LOL

BTW, if I ever do get published I'm putting in the acknowledgments a maggotini shoutout to everyone in The Pit.
When it is done can I beta it? The premise sounds really interesting:fistpump.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Leigh))) I missed your awful, painful weekend. So sorry.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
That's an amazing pitch, Steve.

Leigh, get well soon! It double sucks to be in hell and be sick, too.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Steve, love the acknowledgements page idea! Urgh, book isn't ready??? You tease!

It's another day and another empty inbox. Where's Kell? I need to borrow some luck.

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Sorry, Snappy :( :D

I'm hard charging on the first round of beta revisions. Once I finish that I want to go through another round of betaying then I'd be ready to go.

I'm shooting to have everything ready for Kellion's May 1 contest.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Steve, love the final version!

Sorry for the silence, Snappy. I'm tempted to whine about silence myself, but after a couple stressful weeks, I'm kind of enjoying it too.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Woot Steve!
{Snappy}
{Leigh} *whisper come to Canada and get the surgery for free*
Ink I like 'unmarked' and 'unclaimed' too.

And that's it for me. Whatever bug Cricket had a while back hopped a plain and came to me 'cause I'm sick as hell :( *stumbles out of the pit*

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Soul))))

*sees Snappy, hoards tiny bit of luck like it's dragon booty*

Snappy, if I'm your example of luck, you are in T-R-O-U-B-L-E. I'm just stubborn and I won't stop sending queries until someone takes out a restraining order.

Last edited:

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Soul)))

Kell, in the pit, I grab whatever luck anyone has and hope osmosis works! Without sounding too cheerful... *dodges hellhounds and whispers* Congrats on recent requests!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
(((Soul))) My virus went viral? Sawree. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.