Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I got rid of my rejection blues by going line dancing at a tremendously gay bar in the city. Luckily, I woke up with no Rs in the inbox, but the mail hasn't come yet.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
(((Pit)))

Sheesh, this is a banner day. Mondays and Fridays always seem to be cleaning days for agents.

I have nothing to report because I officially have ZERO pages out there.

I do, however, have flu-like symptoms, and feel like utter poo.
tea.gif
Here!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tea, Leigh!

Ugh, nasty crap exiting my lungs. Methinks it's off to the doctor on Monday.

My inbox has cobwebs in it. Plenty of outstanding queries, but at this point, I'm certain those are never going to reach me. Sheesh--is my query THAT bad??

Apparently so.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Do you ever wish you could wave a magic wand and all those writers who really shouldn't be querying, all the ones whe just want to instantly become celebs, the ones who don't take writing seriously or whose stuff is - dare I say it 'cause we never 'know' if OUR stuff falls into this category - crap ... Don't you just wish that wand could make all those queries disappear from agent inboxes? They're just so snowed under with crap all. the. time. And writers like us who ARE serious and have reasonable expectatins (meaning we don't expect to be over night celebs) are brushed to the wayside 'cause agents don't have enough time/energy to read 1000 queries a week AND take serious writers work seriously....le sigh

/rant

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Do you ever wish you could wave a magic wand and all those writers who really shouldn't be querying, all the ones whe just want to instantly become celebs, the ones who don't take writing seriously or whose stuff is - dare I say it 'cause we never 'know' if OUR stuff falls into this category - crap ... Don't you just wish that wand could make all those queries disappear from agent inboxes? They're just so snowed under with crap all. the. time. And writers like us who ARE serious and have reasonable expectatins (meaning we don't expect to be over night celebs) are brushed to the wayside 'cause agents don't have enough time/energy to read 1000 queries a week AND take serious writers work seriously....le sigh

/rant

See, I always think of the opposite. Actually, I think of the scene from 'A Christmas Story' when Ralphie's teacher is reading through a pile of themes, and marking them with F's. Then suddenly she gets to Ralphie's theme, reads about his Red Rider BB gun, holds the theme to her chest, and then writes A+++++ across the chalkboard.

Yep, it's official, I need a life.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, Leigh!

Cricket, that was totally how I pictured agents reading my query -- with delight and wonder. It was quite an awakening to realize that I'm actually one of the crap queries that drives agents to no-response policies.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, Leigh!

Cricket, that was totally how I pictured agents reading my query -- with delight and wonder. It was quite an awakening to realize that I'm actually one of the crap queries that drives agents to no-response policies.
It's okay, I guess I inspire the "no-r means no thanks" policy too.......

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
See, I always think of the opposite. Actually, I think of the scene from 'A Christmas Story' when Ralphie's teacher is reading through a pile of themes, and marking them with F's. Then suddenly she gets to Ralphie's theme, reads about his Red Rider BB gun, holds the theme to her chest, and then writes A+++++ across the chalkboard.

Yep, it's official, I need a life.
Then you wake up and all you see is an agent dressed as Santa Claus going, "You'll shoot your eye out!"

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
LOL Leigh!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

See, I always saw it as the agents eyes are so tired and ready to fall out of their head that by the time they reach a decent query (say #987 out of 1000 they have read that day) they can't even see straight or appreciate that it's good and could possibly be for them. Like, how stoked can you get about reading queries (even the decent ones) when you've been swimming in them for years? *is a pessamist*

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Then you wake up and all you see is an agent dressed as Santa Claus going, "You'll shoot your eye out!"

Exactly. That's what I hear when I read my rejections.

Soul, I read an agent's blog, way back when, who talked about this. She admitted to requesting bad queries because her brain was fried, and missing good ones for the same reason. Sucks.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. That's what I hear when I read my rejections.

Soul, I read an agent's blog, way back when, who talked about this. She admitted to requesting bad queries because her brain was fried, and missing good ones for the same reason. Sucks.
>.< I'm totally not getting any of these references (I'm not christian and don't watch TV so I've never seen most x-mas specials)

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
A Christmas Story is the only xmas special I have seen, lol. I'm not christian either, and I hardly watch television.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
>.< I'm totally not getting any of these references (I'm not christian and don't watch TV so I've never seen most x-mas specials)

Leigh, I'm not Christian either. A Christmas Story is a hilarious film about a young boy growing up in Indiana in the 40's. You MUST rent it...it's one of my all time faves.

In other news, I'm still sick. Whenever I get sick, I get the same thing. Does this happen to anyone else? I never get a cold, I never get the flu. I get what I have now...and it lasts a solid 10 days. Ugh.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
'Leigh, I'm not Christian either. A Christmas Story is a hilarious film about a young boy growing up in Indiana in the 40's. You MUST rent it...it's one of my all time faves.' <- THIS! Best Christmas special EVER!

{{Cricket}} no, unfortunately for me my illnesses can vary in multiple, agonizing ways :(

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Cricket, I think I get that too. At least I get something that is more than a cold, less than a flu, and hangs around for days and days.

Maybe it is caused by living in a miasma of literary failure. It's the rejection grippe.

"...And the sneezes. And the wheezes. And the feeling you're getting too old..."

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
"A person could develop a bad, bad cold."

Feeling wheezy here just thinking about it.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Cricket, hope you feel better soon.

*whispers* I've never seen A Christmas Story either.

Count me in the non-Christian club, and I'm realizing we have an awful lot of us in the Pit. Since this was a spin-off of Purgatory.... kind of ironic that. ;)

ETA:
Officially trunked my UF this weekend. Still have two fulls and one partial out, but one of the agents with the full is notorious for taking a year or more to respond (if ever), and the other is a huge long shot. And according to QT's stats, the agent with the partial would have requested the full by now if she were going to (anything out this longs becomes a rejection). So meh.

Last edited:

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink)))

Happy Monday. We'll see if agents did more spring cleaning over the weekend I shampooed my carpets so I had the same idea -- the sludge that comes out is so gratifying.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Count me in the non-Christian club, and I'm realizing we have an awful lot of us in the Pit. Since this was a spin-off of Purgatory.... kind of ironic that. <- good point *considers converting to Christianity in the hopes of getting good luck for once and escaping the Pit*

{{{Ink}}}

Kellion happy Monday my ass! We 'practice' daylight savings time in my province so I lost an hour of sleep. :e2cry: I'm so fucking tired!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Last edited:

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't understand the point of daylight savings time. It's the same amount of daylight!!!! The only thing it's good for is tricking kids into sleeping later. But then they have to go to bed when it's still light out.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
*resting on Kellion's shoulder* zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *huh?* I don't get the point of daylight savings time, either. I mean, I understand the theory behind it, but I still think it's a pile of horse shit... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.