Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh! The silence means nothing. Or it means everything. Who knows anymore? Nothing means nothin' til somebody makes an offer.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I decided last night I'm just going to make a film. Doing some brainstorming, I came up with a concept for a script that could be shot with an extremely low budget but still be pretty awesome if it's done right. Now to raise 10 grand...

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Love it, Vandal.

That's the spirit, Princess. Sell a kidney and you can make a sequel too (just don't injure your other kidney doing the stunts).

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Haha. Actually, this is my favourite idea so far. I'm looking forward to making it myself so I can make sure it comes out exactly the way I want.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Snappy I totally agree with your twitter rant. I've thought much the same myself

It feels like I'm the kid on the playground who never gets picked for a team to play kickball....no wait, strike that...it feels like I'm the kickball.
<- this

{{Ink}}

Sounds super cool PoP! Give 'er!!

Last edited:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Vandal, that photo creeps me out! Eep!

Princess, I think that sounds awesome if you can do it. Good luck!

I, uh, might have whined about the silence too soon. Will take it out of the Pit.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Silence sucks! Just wanted to throw that out there.

Thanks, Soul for giving the thumbs up to my rant. I really don't deny anyone procrastination time. But, really, maybe just a few less tweets?

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly Snappy. I know we are all guilty of procrastination, but it is frustrating when someone complains about how little time they have or how busy they are and they've got a well-maintained blog and / or Twitter account with a ton of stuff on them...It's all about time management.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Also, around the time I was spitting queries into the wind, someone in NYC googled me and was all over my website, reading about me and my current books. Gah. The anxious silence - it burns.

Maybe it's a good thing? maybe it's an agent who wants to make sure you aren't lying about how awesome you are. Of course, they could just come here and found out for themselves :)

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I decided last night I'm just going to make a film. Doing some brainstorming, I came up with a concept for a script that could be shot with an extremely low budget but still be pretty awesome if it's done right. Now to raise 10 grand...
Kevin Smith says that to make a movie, all you have to do is be willing to max every credit card you own. Actually, he did a special called an evening with Kevin Smith and in it he talks about how he was able to make his first movies. I suggest looking it up! My brother wants to make movies and said that it was very informative :).

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly Snappy. I know we are all guilty of procrastination, but it is frustrating when someone complains about how little time they have or how busy they are and they've got a well-maintained blog and / or Twitter account with a ton of stuff on them...It's all about time management.

I dunno, I would look at when they kick off their tweets. If it's, like, 11 am NY time, yeah, cut it out. If it's 5 pm I say that's their time and they can do with it what they choose.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Kevin Smith says that to make a movie, all you have to do is be willing to max every credit card you own. Actually, he did a special called an evening with Kevin Smith and in it he talks about how he was able to make his first movies. I suggest looking it up! My brother wants to make movies and said that it was very informative :).

My credit sucks lol. I can't get credit cards, but I do have a couple people who know how to get money from nowhere. I might try to go for some product placement stuff too. :tongue

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
My credit sucks lol. I can't get credit cards, but I do have a couple people who know how to get money from nowhere. I might try to go for some product placement stuff too. :tongue
Jana: Hey sally, you look thirsty!
Sally: Oh I am!! I could sure go for Captain Morgan's rum and Coke!
Jana: Me too! Captain Morgan's rum is the best with Coca-Cola classic!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Leigh, hahaha!

Ink, where's your news? Must be good.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, I would look at when they kick off their tweets. If it's, like, 11 am NY time, yeah, cut it out. If it's 5 pm I say that's their time and they can do with it what they choose.

The one particular person I'm thinking of, who shall remain nameless of course, posts all day during "standard" work hours AND at night. I'm not talking 1 or 2 posts, but double, sometimes even triple digit posts. Clogs up my twitter feed too!

Ah well, se la vie, no more ranting.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Jana: Hey sally, you look thirsty!
Sally: Oh I am!! I could sure go for Captain Morgan's rum and Coke!
Jana: Me too! Captain Morgan's rum is the best with Coca-Cola classic!

If I'm gonna do product placement, I might as well make it as obvious as possible. :D

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm gonna do product placement, I might as well make it as obvious as possible. :D
Subtlety is for losers!
364849d1293234752-merry-christmas-all-smiley-laughing024-gif

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
The one particular person I'm thinking of, who shall remain nameless of course, posts all day during "standard" work hours AND at night. I'm not talking 1 or 2 posts, but double, sometimes even triple digit posts. Clogs up my twitter feed too!

Ah well, se la vie, no more ranting.
Rep me who? I'm curious now........

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Leigh, I'm not saying agents shouldn't be free to burn their free time as they see fit. What the do after hours is none of my business. But I still find it annoying when they complain about not having enough 'hours in the day' (the regular working day) to do their job and they're tweeting or blogging (during work hours) or whatever...

LOL @ the product placement :D

Last edited:

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Leigh, haha!!

I can't complain about agents on twitter seeing as I spend way too much time here and on twitter while at work. *whistles innocently*

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm in the same camp as Cricket -- we have very similar stats.

Sad, isn't it? And here's what's even sadder: even though I'm only 40 or so queries in, I think I'm trunking this for a while and going to work on my YA.

Rant alert: Does it annoy anyone else that some agents have 9,000 twitter posts but a no means no response policy, or a 6-8 week response policy on queries? Maybe less time on twitter?

Ok, rant over.

I don't begrudge the way anyone spends their spare time. But yes, seeing tweet after tweet, dead silence on my submission, and then complaints about how they're swamped? If you have time to tweet one sentence, you have time to send me a one sentence pass. "No thank you" would suffice, and it's less than than 140 characters.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Blacbird, we're all doomed in the Pit. I tweet, and it hasn't helped me a damn bit.

I will say the best thing about following agents on twitter is that it gives you insight into their personalities that you might not have otherwise discovered. Things that will make you go: I'd never want to work with this person.

Status
Not open for further replies.