Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Steve, ha!

lkp, do we get worms in the Pit? They might be too far up the food chain.

Every time I think my UF is done for good, I seem to get another zombie request. Can't shake the feeling futility when I send it off though.

Love the term zombie request. Btw, I liked your format for WIP updates in your sig, so I nicked it. Hope you don't mind. :D

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Holy shit Princess, 30 days to write 100 pages?! You're nuts! Good luck, fingers are crossed for you!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Kudos, Princess!

But Soul, that's like half of Nano, right? Not that I could do it...

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Kudos, Princess!

But Soul, that's like half of Nano, right? Not that I could do it...

I don't think you can directly compare writing a screenplay to writing a novel based purely on page count.

But I wrote about 70k words last month. I forgot about one of the scripts. I think that's a decent Nano.

Last edited:

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Of course you can't compare novel word count with the level of effort in the same number of words in a screenplay, poetry, picture book, nonfiction. They're all different. But I'm guessing that Script Frenzy is a similar level of effort to Nano, right?

I'm not a fast writer. Nano, Script Frenzy -- not for me! Good for those who can do it.

Last edited:

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. It takes me a week to write a script that my betas think is great, so 30 days is like an eternity. But I don't think I could write a novel in 30 days. My brain just doesn't work that way.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
It seems like a different process. Then again, every book and every script is a different experience, even for the same writer.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it took me about 17 days to write 26k of a novel, and then I stalled. My brain just doesn't form stories in book form. I have an eidetic memory, and I'm a very visual person. When I develop story ideas, they are already in movie form lol.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Ink, I get that she's standing on two cats. But are those two small bars of chocolate balanced on her breasts?

At first glance I thought she was Tara or some other Indian goddess. Now I'm not sure...

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I've written three screenplays. Each has taken me close to a year to write. Well, I should say rewrite. Whether novels or screenplays, I write slowly.

I too am visual and see things like a film. My ex-agent said, "This is going to be a really good book and a great movie."

Yeah, we know how that one turned out.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Gah, Cricket...yep we know how that went :(

LOL Leigh 'only' 4 pages a day. Shall I bow to you too, then? That's a lot IMO!

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Gah, Cricket...yep we know how that went :(

LOL Leigh 'only' 4 pages a day. Shall I bow to you too, then? That's a lot IMO!

I donno, I don't write scripts but when I write, I tend to pump out 6-10 pages a day. If I don;t go back and edit as I go (or if the muse rides me) I have pumped out 14-17, but I was really tired after and had a hard time writing the next day.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Script pages are different in my experience. I usually put out an average of 14-15 pages per day of a script. Not sure if that's because I have practice writing short stories and the couple novel attempts. The novel I've put on hold for a while averaged about 8-10 pages per day.

Last edited:

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten faster as writer, but I have limited time and stamina. I get very tired after 1500 words. I've written more in a day but not much more -- I consider 800 - 1200 words a good effort for me.

You prolific people? Just awesome. And honestly, I don't have enough ideas to feed a 10,000 word a day habit! I admire your wealth of IDEAS even more.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Wow Leigh, that's crazy. Typically I pump out 5 - 8 pages a day if things are going well. I've gotten up to 11-13 pages a day when I was SUPER in the zone. I used to have more 'stamina' but I find things have changed where I have a job that requires I sit at a computer all day long.

Last edited:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ink, I get that she's standing on two cats. But are those two small bars of chocolate balanced on her breasts?

At first glance I thought she was Tara or some other Indian goddess. Now I'm not sure...
Ha - goddess of chocolate. Why didn't people use to worship one of those? Depending on your source, she's either Lilith, Inanna, or Erishkigal.

My word counts vary greatly, and it all depends on the scene I'm working on. Some flow naturally; others are painful and slow.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Same here, Ink. If I'm at a fight scene or something else that strikes my fancy, the words fly...but those transition scenes can be a killer for me

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Same here, Ink. If I'm at a fight scene or something else that strikes my fancy, the words fly...but those transition scenes can be a killer for me

One of the biggest criticisms I get is that I don't transition well (along with needing more description). I tend to go action action action action action end chapter. New chapter, set up, action action action action........ etc. I think I'm worried people will get bored if I have a slow scene. Although, there have been times when I was reading and I thought "Okaay, why are you telling me this? Is it necessary?" Usually it isn't. Like agonizeing over clothing! I don't even do that in real life. The most my characters will do is "he wore jeans and a message tee that said..."

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I know plenty of gals who agonise over clothing, lol. I usually don't, but if it's a big date or an important event, I will put some thought into it.

I take pride in my transitions. :D

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I know plenty of gals who agonise over clothing, lol. I usually don't, but if it's a big date or an important event, I will put some thought into it.

I take pride in my transitions. :D
I know a lack of transitions is one of my failings as a writer. For the life of me, they just aren't interesting to me to write. >.< I should probably get over that.

Also, the agent who said she wanted to see anything else I had didn't return my email when I asked her how she wanted it presented.

Have any of you gotten this request? How do you usually format it? Do you attach the rejection letter to it? I'm so confused!

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
She said she didn't like what you subbed, but she wanted to see something else you've written? I wouldn't attach it. I would just have a cover letter stating that per her request, you're sending her the pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.