Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Bloody hell, I can't pitch in person for my life. Definitely have to work on that. I have 4 at the moment, with the 5th on the way. I'll be finished it in a few days. One thing I think I have going for me is they're all pretty remarkably different from each other, lol.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I think I need to go back to the drawing board for query and pages. I'm so frustrated, trying to wait for some feedback but I think the poor response is feedback enough.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Kellion)))

Woke up to a query R. The reign of silence had been broken. In the expected way, naturally. Now off to the all-day meeting again. At least I don't have to speak today.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) Sometimes it's nice to see long meetings as a brain vacation, especially when no talking or participation is necessary.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I have to participate. It's a working meeting - LOTS of work, and I inevitably end up doing most of it. (Because I'm a good worker and don't go off checking email or scheduling phone calls during the time. Grr.) It does get me away from obsessively checking email or thinking about my WIP though. All data, all the time. :tongue

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Two full Rs in the last 24 hours. I think I still belong here. I think I'll always belong here. I feel safe so close to a naked avatar.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Vandal)))

The Pit will always be here. That's a comfort and a threat.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Mario, Princess, would you say it's harder to get a screenplay produced (published?) than a novel? I"m thinking yes....God help me, but I"m thinking yes *crying for Princess and Mario*

{{{{{{VandalInkKellion}}}}}}

Man, Ink your job sounds thankless indeed

Kellion feel free to PM me your new query when it's ready if you want

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of the weirdest writers, I swear. I actually don't mind pitching. I got involved with a website that helps writers practice pitching too. PM or Rep if you want the site. (You can see my big round face this week in a video pitch) :D

I know some people don't think pitching is useful. But, honestly, if nothing else, it hones your skills in talking about your book. So, getting the word out, meeting people, getting the hook for your book, blurbing, etc. I think its helpful. *shrugs*

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
BTW, I find it kinda cool that I got a email pdf form rejection letter for a snail mail query+pages I sent out. I don't do the SASE anymore and simply rely on silence as rejection.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
The one thing I really find helpful about queries and pitches is there's so little room to describe your book it really REALLY helps you focus on your plot. As much as I hate queries (and trust me, I HATE queries) I find that now when I'm in the early days of plotting a WIP I think of the concept in terms of a query...it helps me focus on the real plot and not get mixed up on whether or not a strong side plot is the actual plot.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Good points, Soulcascade. Looking at a story from a pitch/query standpoint helps you boil the story down to it's essence.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
That's a really good idea, Soul! I never thought of it that way. I always do the query/pitch after the revisions are done. But, maybe I'll try it beforehand for my WIP. Hmm... ideas...

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Mario, Princess, would you say it's harder to get a screenplay produced (published?) than a novel? I"m thinking yes....God help me, but I"m thinking yes *crying for Princess and Mario*

I would say probably yes. Cause even if you get lucky enough to have it bought, the odds are still against it ever being produced.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I figured Princess and OL....and OL, since you have been on both sides of the fence and drug through both hell holes, you'd def. know. WOW. that's all I can say. You guys are brave to even attempt it! It feels like trying to get my novel published like beating my head against a brick wall, and it's not nearly as tough as what you guys are doing...

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I figured Princess and OL....and OL, since you have been on both sides of the fence and drug through both hell holes, you'd def. know. WOW. that's all I can say. You guys are brave to even attempt it! It feels like trying to get my novel published like beating my head against a brick wall, and it's not nearly as tough as what you guys are doing...
Ala this-->:Headbang:?
Agree.....
That's sort of why I chose to publish a bunch of short stories on the kindle. So I can include in the query "see! See! people want to read my stuff! SEE!!! PLEASE GOD SEE!!!!!!!!!!!" Or something like that...

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Leigh, I think you missed some rejections, depression, and malaise. OK, now you're caught up.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Leigh, I think you missed some rejections, depression, and malaise. OK, now you're caught up.
malaise-->
th_chocolate.gif

depression-->
Flowers.gif

rejections-->
eat-drink-smiley-5182.gif

Indeed, I am!

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
(((Vandal)))

Brain is fried from my meeting. Come tomorrow evening I'm going to drown myself in a vat of margaritas.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Just dropping in to say hello, wallow a bit. Ah~, that feels good.

No news on my end. When you're not on sub no one can hear you cry. Or something like that.

Hey, did Vandal just hint he might put up a *naked* photo of himself as an avatar? That or slamming all these Worm Coolers has affected my brain. A possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.