Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I am tired of seeing things differently than other people. Why can't I be one of those shiny happy people who sees nothing wrong in the world? :(

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I am tired of seeing things differently than other people. Why can't I be one of those shiny happy people who sees nothing wrong in the world? :(

Because you're not an idiot. Shiny happy is just another way to say delusional.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I am very glad you're the way you are, kellion, even though I know it is hard at times. many times.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Screw shiny happy people. They're blind!

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
So, I have a question that might be better suited elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I have a bunch of email addies for agents, and I also have their physical addies. I'm wondering if it would be better to send physical queries or just send them all emails. Any ideas?

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
When I was querying, in 2007, I did everything snail mail. This was before the Flood, when that was normal. It would still be my preference, if they don't express a preference.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
{{Cricket}} FUCK! Ow crimany woman!!

{{Shu}}

{{Ink}}

Gah, Princess that sounds excruciating

"Of course, even in that theory, they have to LIKE my pages." <- this...cryably this

Princess IMO that depends on how willing you are to part with your $$ and how hopeful you are that one of those agents will/may say 'yes'. Personally, I prefer e-queries but that's because I'm so pessimistic about the whole query process in general. I can't fathom anything but a flood of R's.

Kellion, I think you are a realist. I think you speak your mind and call things like you see them. I also think many of your opinions about the industry are informed opinions {{Kellion}} those shiny happy people may not have been through as rough of a road as you. It's easier to be 'shiny and happy' if things are going your way...

Last edited:

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I decided to go with 3 e-queries and 9 snail mail for this batch. My query is probably rubbish, but a couple writer friends of mine helped me with it, so I have some hope. We'll see I guess.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. *sniff sniff* I don't know if children's markets are ready for me. It's not that I write dark -- I don't -- but my (let's call it) realism comes across loud and clear.

I like equeries whenever possible, paper only when required.

ETA: I guess what got to me today was my conversation with my child's principal. I complained about a fundraiser where kindergarten children used class time to create goods that were then to be sold to the parents using very strong-armed tactics for the benefit of the fifth grade class trip and a professional fund-raising group. My position is that they are exploiting the labor of children and emotionally blackmailing parents to make money for a for-profit company.

The principal said most parents just see it as a nice keepsake.

See, that's what the fundraisers are counting on. It's not me making stuff up -- it's their BUSINESS MODEL.

And then I realized I sounded like a lunatic. I'm not like most parents.

Last edited:

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds like exploitation to me. Though I remember some of my mates telling me about similar stuff. I think it's pretty common here.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{Kellion}}}

I gotta laugh, though. You're 100% spot on in your criticism, Kell, but I bet the principal thought you were nuts.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve. That's just the problem -- people think you're crazy when you look at things critically.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm double in the pit now. I must have gone mad, because I'm now querying two things. A novel and a screenplay. Twice the fun, twice the rejection!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Princess, I'm trying to get a lot of irons in the fire, against some advice. I'm doing it so I can't be entirely invested in the success or failure of a single project. That's the theory behind writing a new project as well, but I have a backlog of projects :)

Can I say that I <3 the Pit? Thanks, Pitizens. This is a such a supportive bunch, even when it just means passing the maggotinis.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Kellion what i love about the pit is it's a supportive bunch but without the smoke and mirrors and 'it WILL happen' bs. I do think your principal prob thought you were a loony but it's not only you - anytime someone expresses an opinion that goes against he mold or anytime someone questions a well - loved stereotype or mass 'view of the world' then the questioner is seen as an oddball. Trust me, as an avid 'view of the world' / stereotype questioner, I've often been on the receing end of a lot of weird stares and awkward silences.

FWIW I agree with you and Steve. I wouldn't have problem with kids using class time to make crafts for a fundraiser. What I don't understand, though, is the grade primaries doing it to benefit the grade 5's. And I don't agree with guilt - strong arm tactics.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Princess, best of luck. I do screenplays and it's quite a different game than books. Are you doing H'wood agents, managers, prodcos, or all of the above? Best of luck!

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Kellion, re that kindergarten thing: Actually, in this case, I would say you were the shiny, happy person, because you believed your protest would do some good. In my experience, most people - if they bother to think about it - would be annoyed by the school's strongarm tactics. Few will invest the time or energy to buck the status quo. They don't believe anything will change.

I say this based on experience when my son's elementary school principal decided to get rid of afternoon recess. There was a brief period of time when the community rallied. We had numbers and unambiguous educational and health research on our side. In the end, it took almost nothing in the way of the principal's disapproval for their spines to melted away like...hope within the Pit. ;)

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Princess, best of luck. I do screenplays and it's quite a different game than books. Are you doing H'wood agents, managers, prodcos, or all of the above? Best of luck!

All of the above, lol. Some smaller prodcos and agencies/management cos, plus a few of the bigger once (mostly for posterity, as I assume they won't even read it). Thanks for the well wishes mate. It kinda sucks, but screenplays are all I'm really good at writing.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Haupe, I didn't think it would do any good. That didn't mean I wouldn't say anything.

I don't understand what is considered "positive" or "negative." Like I was on a twitter chat last night about publishing mistakes, and one person said it was a mistake to be critical because "no one likes a Negative Nancy." I said nothing, of course -- shutting people up is the point, right? But how is that a positive thing to say? It's dismissive and mean, as well as stab-your-own-eardrums-out grating.

Telling people to shut up is mean. Calling them names is mean. How is that a positive thing to say?

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
All of the above, lol. Some smaller prodcos and agencies/management cos, plus a few of the bigger once (mostly for posterity, as I assume they won't even read it). Thanks for the well wishes mate. It kinda sucks, but screenplays are all I'm really good at writing.
Awesome. You never know, it costs nothing to throw the line out and it may lead to the magic question: "We don't like it. What else do you have?" :ROFL: I've gone through the entire HCD Online listing twice by now, not to mention Done Deal Pro. It's all about connections and growing a reputation - well, any successful career is. Good luck!
*oops getting too warm/fuzzy for the locals. Need to sulk over crack pipe more*

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome. You never know, it costs nothing to throw the line out and it may lead to the magic question: "We don't like it. What else do you have?" :ROFL: I've gone through the entire HCD Online listing twice by now, not to mention Done Deal Pro. It's all about connections and growing a reputation - well, any successful career is. Good luck!
*oops getting too warm/fuzzy for the locals. Need to sulk over crack pipe more*

:ROFL:

Well said. I love that that's how it works. "We don't like it. What else do you have?" Really? lol. Gotta love it.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Kellion, I'm coming in late to this conversation and I'm exhausted from my meeting, so let me just add a big old YES to everything others have already said. :Hug2:

It might be dark in the Pit, but that doesn't mean we can't see what others don't.

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
:ROFL:

Well said. I love that that's how it works. "We don't like it. What else do you have?" Really? lol. Gotta love it.
Yeah, I've only got five scripts myself - I had six, but I started revising one and had to throw out the ending and now I can't nail a better ending - and same amount on the way. Oh and you have to sell verbally. I HATE pitching with an ungodly passion, so that's an area I need to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.